PDA

View Full Version : In development DCEmu community project: Generic Survival Horror Clone #1

Pages : [1] 2

jman420
May 19th, 2006, 09:45
Hello everyone! This is the "Generic Survival Horror Clone #1" Forum information and discussion thread.

This is a thread for a project I started about a year ago. I am currently working to make a Survival Horror video game for the PlayStation Portable, that will be far superior to any Resident Evil game (prior to RE4) ever :D

I have decided to make the game based on a new story, new characters, and new levels, all based in the town of New Boulder. It will consist of re-rendered images of everyone's favorite levels, and a new method of play. Finaly there will be a game worth playing on PSP :D

The story will be of one man's fight to aquire the viral weapon leaked by his co-workers, just hours after the attacks started happening in the city.

We have the first few levels complete, and are currently working on more. There are two programmers Hardhat and Zion working on the game play engine, and all game programming elements.

There is me working on 3D graphics.

and I am also working on the 2D menu, and gameplay graphics.

And from the Musical aspect of the game. We have Composer, and Accordianboy working on music for the time being.

We hope to have a playable demo done soon. But we havent had a whole lot of time to work on it lately..

The basic gameplay system will be very similar to the RE gameplay system. But we hope to add some extra abilities that we not there before RE3.

All of the camera systems will be the "Security Camera" system, where there will be stationary camera angles viewing the player as he walks across the screen. Eventualy we will attempt to add the real time rendered "over the shoulder" camera angle, just to add a little bit more graphical goodness :D

I would appriciate any comments, or questions about the project.

If anyone wants to contact me, please PM, or email me at [email protected]

There is a great deal of work left to do, but the project is on a forward path to compleetion.
We now have a Lua application (to view pictures of backgrounds(avalible on page 13 of the forum)) and a few base models to start with.

Also, there are many pictures spread throughout the forum here. Many of which are also viewable in the Survival Horror HeadQuarters section of the DCEMU forums, so please look around and see other 3D images, of just me rambling on about nothing important. Or for some newer images, visit my poorly built Website at
http://Home.comcast.net/~Jakobgetson/
(I hope to fix the website eventualy)
Thank you.

crossfadeking
May 19th, 2006, 12:10
can you post any pictures please???

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2006, 14:41
moved. this isnt really port related.

jman420
May 20th, 2006, 19:50
well alright people, I dont have any screenshots because I'm on vacation atm, but I can get some on tuesday-wendsday.. I still need help with the project in general just because I dont have everything yet.. just the models..

either way, I'll post pics when I can..

jman420
May 24th, 2006, 02:40
well I am finaly home from my out of state vacation, so I can now work on RE2 once again, however I realized that what I have modeled was in 3DS Max 8 (I had a 30 day demo of it) but that has now run out, and it will not let me load the models again in version 7, so give me a day or 2 to re-model it, I would export it, and import again.. but I also realized that it is all out of scale, and I have to re-do it anyway..

so give me a day or 2, and I'll post some screen's :D

Cooe14
May 25th, 2006, 02:33
Me thinks this project is a bet too much to be plausible.

jman420
May 25th, 2006, 18:02
it could be.. I'm working with a lot of polygons even just so far while re-modeling it.. but I had a thought..

I also wouldnt mind doing a pre-rendered background, with the 3D animated characters in front of the 2d bitmap..

it would get rid of the need for complicated 3d rendering, just enough to render the characters..

that eliminates the behind-the-gun view.. but thats not intirely important..

however, this project isnt by any means a quick one, I beleave that modeling all of the game in 3d could take me a year.. but if anyone wanted to help me build the game with me over that year..

kevho
May 25th, 2006, 22:55
well what can i say, KEEP IT UP!!! looking forward to the final product ^^

jman420
May 26th, 2006, 06:01
well thank you, even if i dont get the game done, i plan to make a movie.. somewhat of a teaser :D

however modeling is taking longer then originaly expected, as i have to re-model everything intirely.. since i did originaly model everything on 3DS max 8, but the demo of 8 ran out, so now i'v been forced back to 3DS 7... so i have to re-model everything..

but it is coming along, i have all of the front step to the police station (inside the station) and i'm going to do all of it... but it will take a while...

either way, I'm still looking for people to assist me with the project...

WermerSkoch
May 30th, 2006, 21:10
Hey, great idea -- I hope you keep this up. You had mentioned a few posts ago you had some concerns with copyrights and such.. A while back there was a RE mod that was being worked on for Half-Life -- what they did was write to Capcom and ask them to be able to use the name, characters, and such. From what I remember, they told them it was fine, so long as they kept it free (didn't charge money for it). I'm not sure if the same would apply here since you're recreating a game they already made, but you could sure ask Capcom.
I hope this project stays alive -- keep it up!

Warner

Zion
May 30th, 2006, 21:46
Good to hear. What kind of assistance do you need. If you want i would be happy to beta test and post screenshots and updates for you.

jman420
May 30th, 2006, 22:03
well thanks for the info on capcom, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do for the game, I have been considering re-making the game to resemble the original game, but as some of you may have noticed, the acucal game is called Resident evil, but I wanted to spell it resedent evil to kind of, avoid name plagerisim, and as for the 3d models, I want it to resemble the accual game, but still be different enough to avoid copyright infregment, including "Parasol Inc." as the copyright-avoiding name for the umbrella corperation.. and of course, I wanted to cap a few holes in the story line, and change some of it to make more sence in english :D.

and Zion, thanks for the offer, I'll definatly need a beta tester, so thank you, if you want to be one.. Allrightythen :D

however what I still need is someone to program the game and renderer for me lol.. so if you know anyone? :P I dont accualy have any experence with programming at the moment, I havent gotten that far in college yet :P

so I still need programmers.. if anyone has any interest, please say so :D

Zion
May 30th, 2006, 22:19
Yep would love to beta test it for you. I know how to program but only very basic things. nowhere near the standard you would need for this project.

jman420
May 30th, 2006, 23:18
well alright, I'll try to remember you, so I hope nobody shuts down my thread here, or I'll forget your name lol....

Here I have it, some form of proof that I am working on this project, and its not just hot air.. I'v been modeling the inside step of the police station for a while.. and now I kind of have something to show for my work, its poorly textured, in fact the door has no texture at all.. but it shows the 3d model at least..

Edit: Changed the picture. now has side panels on the door frame.

Kaiser
May 30th, 2006, 23:21
Sweet RPD picture. You have my full support.

Zion
May 30th, 2006, 23:55
Jman that is superb!
If you want il PM a few coders and see if they will help

jman420
May 31st, 2006, 00:00
well that would be sweet! I need coders :D

Zion
May 31st, 2006, 00:13
I will see what I can do...

Zion
May 31st, 2006, 00:30
I have PM'd a few coders for you Jman. We will just have to wait and see for the time being!

jman420
May 31st, 2006, 00:38
well thank you Zion, I appreciate it..

Zion
May 31st, 2006, 00:44
If there is anything else I can do, just ask.

jman420
May 31st, 2006, 01:12
alright I'll keep that in mind, as of now, the only thing I cant do is program, so thats realy the only field I require assistance in :D but thanks.

Zion
June 1st, 2006, 00:14
How much of the game is remodeled now Jman?

jman420
June 1st, 2006, 04:12
well at the moment all I have is the frount step of the police station lol... but I am working on all of it...

Cooe14
June 1st, 2006, 04:34
That looks too purty to be able to run on the psp.

jman420
June 1st, 2006, 06:26
well the psp can display 300k triangles simotainiously so the models can be quite robust, I just dont know how to impliment the models I have into a renderer for to play them on a psp... also, for that mater, I wouldnt mind using pre-rendered backdrops, since it would look about the same on a psp...

and as for the modeling aspect, I have thought about the way I want the game to be..
I recently visited a dam, and I thought it would be the perfect backdrop for a Resident Evil-esque game, so the way
I originaly thought I would make the game is, the city, the police station, the back of the police station (leaving through the parking lot, like in Resident Evil 3)
then you would walk across town, come to the dam, enter the dam, and have 3 levels of dam area, then you would decend to the lower levels of the dam, and come across the labrotory from RE2, (because in my opinion, the lab at the end of RE2, and the police station are the best parts of RE2).
I wanted to incoperate those, along with new, creative models for other parts of "boulder city" (since I dont want to directly copy the RE2 game)

I dont know if its going to work this way, but I would like to make an interesting homebrew game with the quality of a commercial game... for other people to enjoy without paying the ultimate price (and updating to 3.0 F/W to play the RE2 PS1 game :P)

slickpick
June 2nd, 2006, 02:06
WOW! Jman this looks great!

I hope this will work on 2.6 firmware.

I would help code, but I have no experience.

jman420
June 2nd, 2006, 08:28
well thanks, I'm not sure about how the 3d works in user mode, but I suppose it could be possable if i had a good coder make the rendering engine :D

troom
June 3rd, 2006, 01:59
if you can do this i would like to be a beta tester please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! would even pitch in a little money.

Zion
June 3rd, 2006, 02:57
Troom, I asked first.....:p.....LOL : :D

BrooksyX
June 3rd, 2006, 04:16
hey this project looks very nice, hopefully you can pull through with it. I wouldnt mind beta testing for you ;) or help out in anyother way, Unfortunatly i couldnt program to save my life.

robotdevil
June 3rd, 2006, 04:47
Sweet job man, the pic looks awesome. Really only one thing to say, woot. Just woot.

jman420
June 3rd, 2006, 05:20
ok troom lol you can beta test, along with you bigmace, and robotdevil if you want to..

where have you been though, robot devil i'v been wondering if you were still planing on a project??

Kaiser
June 3rd, 2006, 05:44
Its spelled Resident Evil btw :)

jman420
June 3rd, 2006, 06:17
yes i addressed this issue on a previous page, thank you lol :P I made it Resedent evil because, thats not a trademark or copyright of any current company lol

one winged angel
June 3rd, 2006, 13:21
what the heck this is better than the damn ****ed ps1 emu

PS: I could betatest for firmware 2.5 with gta exploit

Apoklepz
June 6th, 2006, 21:39
Well this sounds great... If you need any help with graphics like items, weapons or anything just let me know.

tallica
June 6th, 2006, 22:58
this looks amazing! id love 2 help beta test it as i am going to have alot of free time during the sumer nd after it. when do you think you wil strt beta testing?

jman420
June 9th, 2006, 02:54
well thanks a lot Apoklipz, I would need 2D and 3D models for some of the menu's, and all the character models.. I have been gone to see my friend off to the US Army, so I havent been working on much 3D models... but I will eventualy need some help :D

I do still need programming, thats the main issue here for me, you cant learn all of C++ and assembly in a month, so it would be nice if someone could program for me :D..

and as for the BetaTesting, I dont know how its going to work, I will not have the game leaked to the public before I want it out, I dont want it to be one of those things that gets released before its done, I just want it to be parfek first, then release.. so thanks for the offers all of you for wanting to beta test, but unless you work on the project, or have any assistance, your not going to be able to play it before anyone else.. (however the people that have already offered and I have talked to, can test it for me)

thanks for all the interest everyone, but unless I get someone to help me by programming, this project will not even get started on for about 6 years when I will have friends to help me....

Kaiser
June 9th, 2006, 03:24
yes i addressed this issue on a previous page, thank you lol :P I made it Resedent evil because, thats not a trademark or copyright of any current company lol

Good thinking

I really should read the entire thread next time. My bad. :o

edit: Ever hear of the Resident Evil 1.5 re-creation project? I'm sure you could find some help there on making a Resident Evil clone.

jman420
June 9th, 2006, 05:06
no I havent ever heard of that, do you know who is doing it? or where i could find a web site or any information at all??? :P thanks! :D

Kaiser
June 9th, 2006, 06:30
http://www.bioflames-project.com/

jman420
June 9th, 2006, 20:30
looks like thats more of a computer, and 1st person shooter... also it appears to be a fully different design as any of the original RE games....

I dont know how this game is going to get made when the only person working on it is me, building 3d models very slowly....

but it may eventualy work....

jman420
June 10th, 2006, 20:33
I added a door :p I havent been working on my RE model in a few days, (lots of other projects still) anyway, I thought I should post the pic of it..

jman420
June 11th, 2006, 04:19
even more done today :p

jman420
June 12th, 2006, 08:23
BUMP with free picture :p

yaustar
June 12th, 2006, 10:34
Quick questions:

In that scene, how many polys is in there?
Is it patch/mesh modelling or spline/nurbs?

jman420
June 12th, 2006, 17:46
wait! you mean polygons? or poly objects???
because you never measure a rendering pass in polygons, its how many triangles are rendered....
and as for poly objects, there is about 6 objects, all edited meshes, not polys..

about 21700 triangles so far, and its several mesh objects, all UVW mapped, and textured with targa's

and nowhere even near done, but I'v been working on it.. I dont even have a collision mesh yet, but I will probobly make that whenever i have a reason to...

Zion
June 12th, 2006, 18:49
Woah, those screens are looking superb! Will the PSP have the power to be able to play the game though?

jman420
June 12th, 2006, 19:07
yes, the only thing I might have a problem with is the size of the models... that model if exported to collada will be about 4-6 mb when done, but the psp can safely display 300k triangles simotaniously so I wouldnt have any problem with the rendering aspect...

however if I leave the renderer to cast shadows and lighting it could be more like 100k triangles... but the psp should be able to do it :D

Zion
June 12th, 2006, 19:24
Thats good to hear :p

How far along is Caelestis?

jman420
June 12th, 2006, 20:08
almost have the first version ready for testing.. just got the renderer done, and working on gameplay engine lol....

but I'd prefer not to talk about other projects, if you do need to discus other projects please PM me rather...
I'd like this thread to stay on my RE2 clone subject.. thanks

BrooksyX
June 12th, 2006, 20:33
this is starting to look very nice.

have you found a programmer yet?

jman420
June 13th, 2006, 00:13
nope I havent, been looking though....

Shilo
June 13th, 2006, 00:36
Keep up the good work jman! This game is looking really promissing!

Zion
June 13th, 2006, 01:07
Yeah, Keep it up. :D

Sorry about being off-topic earlier :p

I will try to contact a few more coders to help with the project :p

jman420
June 13th, 2006, 09:40
well thanks everyone, I do appreceate the enthusiasm!

and thanks Zion for asking other coders for me, I dont accualy know any.. (and its perfectly fine for asking about other projects, I just didnt realy want to pollute this thread with other projects :p but thank you for caring :D

and I have a fealing that this project would be one of those that would win a contest if perfected...

if there are any coders that look at this thread, I would very much like help in the coding aspect of the project, I almost have all the music I'd need, working on all 3D models :D (working in 3DSMax7 with collada exportation) and would appreceate help very much :D

thanks everyone for the enthusiasm, I would like very much to make this into a viable game :D

Auron
June 13th, 2006, 13:03
hey u're making a great deed to all lovers of Survival horror, great ty from all my russian friends )))))))) keep it up ))))))))))))))))))))

yaustar
June 13th, 2006, 13:05
I rephrase the question, what is the polygon count given by 3ds Max?

jman420
June 13th, 2006, 20:41
its about 22000 triangles

Apoklepz
June 13th, 2006, 21:03
This is looking just beautiful, Jman. I'm rooting for this project to evolve the way any damn good project should. Good luck to you and your team on this.

Zion
June 13th, 2006, 21:07
yeah why don't your team enter this into a coding contest? :p

jman420
June 14th, 2006, 05:06
OK, I have desided, I am not going to get in trouble for and copyright chrap, so I am going to quit modeling the Police department and work on some original levels, when I hear from capcom I will re-start the P.D. but untill then, I think I should work on some original stuff, Might also get someone to join the project if someone saw what I can do in original work :D

Accordion
June 14th, 2006, 18:25
wow
for some strange reason i hadnt looked at this thread till today, shame

in terms of gameplay(i know its a bit early without a programmer but here goes) this might help with the restraints of the psp as well.
how about you have your 3rd person pre rendered exploring parts with fixed camera angles, then when you come into contact/range with an enemy, the gameplay changes to over the shoulder or even first person view in which you attack the zombies using the analog for aiming a crosshair then cross to shoot, with circle as a back up knife weapon. when the enemies are dead the camera turns back to the far back 3rd person view and you continue exploring

it would work like the gameboy colour resi, or even better like killer7!
so gameplay would be a cross of resi 2 for moving, GBC resi or GBA kingdom hearts for interacting with enemies, and resi 4 or killer7 for killing the b*****d zombies..

ps
the screenshots look great, i really wish i got onto this thread earlier and declared my hopes for being a beta tester...pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaasssssse.......!

jman420
June 14th, 2006, 19:54
well, thanks.. I realy didnt understand a dam thing you said on the 3rd paragraph there, but it seemed to be somthing.. I dont want this to look like a gameboy game if thats what you were saying, it should look somewhat more like gamecube...the psp realy does have a lot of rendering power :p

Accordion
June 14th, 2006, 21:00
i meant in terms of gameplay, if you comke into contact with an enemy the camera changes to first person, then when you kill it the view point goes back to 3rd person.

if you have played, GBA kingdom hearts or GBC resident evil youll understand. you can walk around the levels avoiding the characters onscreen, then when they catch you or you attack first, the game changes to battle mode in which you dispatch them. its almost like an rpg, just must more interactive.
i thought of it to help out with the psp power/ memory restraints, instead of being able to dynamically switch between camera modes, have them as semi scripted event transitions.
maybe someone else will understand me and word it better...

i dont mean appearance wise cause i can see youve got that sorted

Zion
June 14th, 2006, 21:02
I think that is the best way Jman. :p

That way (with your own models) we will have a more original Resident Evil game.

Remember, I asked to beta test it first! :D

acn010
June 14th, 2006, 21:25
ok, this will be interesting,
jman420, do you know when your gonna release this project? (averaging the time you finish for atleast a beta version)
that would be nice. :)

jman420
June 14th, 2006, 22:26
wow, a lot of people posted in the last hour :p

yeah, accordian dude, I understand a little better now, but I'd prefer to stick with a selectable camera angle, to have both the "behind the gun" angle, and the "security cam" angle just so people can play how they want, and I am adding a lot of 3D things that will only be visible with an almost 1st person view..

and as for the graphics rendering and memory, there is plenty of power to render anything I throw at it, and my textures are small enough it will not be over 4 MB of textures at any given time...

and Zion, I understand the desire to keep it as more of the original viewpoint, but I want to include the newer, more controllable views, because the psp will work with both, I'd like to include both :D

and acn, the project is currently just me working on 3D modeling, and design.. there is no coder yet, nobody wants to help me lol... so I am going to get a bit more modeled, (maybe the whole thing) and make a teaser movie, in hopes that some coders will see just what I can do graphicly..

I will say, it could be years before its released if I end up being the only person to work on it.. but it could be weeks if a realy fast coder joined me on the project...

I have been working on the graphics aspect of the game today, and I almost have all of the outside of the dam I eluded to a few weeks ago modeled...
(as I have stopped all progress on copyrighted materials i was re-modeling...)

so look for my teaser to be released on the front page here in the next few weeks :D

tallica
June 14th, 2006, 22:45
Tomorrow i wil tell some people about your project nd c if i cn get u a coder cuz this would be amazing

Zion
June 14th, 2006, 22:56
Will you have more screenshots for us soon Jman?

jman420
June 14th, 2006, 23:11
thanks tallisa! :D

yeah, I'll post some to keep peoples intrest peaked :p

here we have the newest model, the Dam, not yet textured though (other then the fence) which is textured with alpha chanel..

bobcobb
June 14th, 2006, 23:37
What programming language will this project be in? Is there any code you actually have down.

jman420
June 14th, 2006, 23:43
nope, no accual code yet, but I would like to work it in C or C++ just because it seems like it would be easiest..

but I am learning C, so eventualy I will be able to code it myself :D

tallica
June 15th, 2006, 16:37
ok jman i asked a few coders so wel just av 2 w8 n c if ne1 replys

jman420
June 15th, 2006, 18:04
sweet, thanks!

UchihaSasuke
June 15th, 2006, 18:32
Keep it Up

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g110/zeldafan12/naruto_itachi0029.jpg

jman420
June 15th, 2006, 22:34
well, uhh.. thanks..

I thought I should post some more progress now that I have made a fairly good addition to the model.. some texture, and a powerline, as this is a hydroeletric dam, not yet textured to be as dark and sinister as I want yet, but it shows the model well..

P.S, ya might want to tone down your sig there buddy.

Zion
June 15th, 2006, 22:48
Looking superb Jman. Keep it up :p

Accordion
June 16th, 2006, 12:37
not that your not keeping busy, but you should do some maps for IRIS, thats an engine you can mod if you find a coder... wont be as diverse as you want but it would be a start

jman420
June 16th, 2006, 20:23
I use a program that allows me to edit every single face, and pixel on an object, its about all I can do because I controll everything..

IRIS as far as I know, has to be modeled in the quake3 editing system, which is the most complicated thing I've ever seen,

I dont know if thats the kind of thing that I want to do, thats all... it just seems like I'd waste a lot of time learning how to use it, to end up modifying someone elses game, and that is somthing I dont feal right doing, someone made it the way they wanted it, I always think its creepy how people will modify someone elses game just because they can..

Accordion
June 16th, 2006, 20:37
yeah
i admire your persistance and high hopes for this project, and your right using IRIS will stop some ideas
and if you cant do quake 3 maps it would be a waste of time to sidetrack, i just dont want this project to hault because of no programming support.

anyway, keep up the great work, hope a coder gains interesr soon.

by the way
IRIS was designed as 3-d engine for people to mod

Apoklepz
June 16th, 2006, 20:43
This project is going nowhere fast....

Now that I got your attention, I just want to say, keep it up man!!! It's looking fresh :)

Accordion
June 16th, 2006, 20:46
yeah that great support...
...sure

Apoklepz
June 16th, 2006, 21:19
Hehe...I was just messing with you guys, for a little bit there. No ofense meant, especially not to Jman...after all he is cooking some pretty sweet stuff in the graphics alone.

yaustar
June 16th, 2006, 22:07
I use a program that allows me to edit every single face, and pixel on an object, its about all I can do because I controll everything..

IRIS as far as I know, has to be modeled in the quake3 editing system, which is the most complicated thing I've ever seen,

I dont know if thats the kind of thing that I want to do, thats all... it just seems like I'd waste a lot of time learning how to use it, to end up modifying someone elses game, and that is somthing I dont feal right doing, someone made it the way they wanted it, I always think its creepy how people will modify someone elses game just because they can..
Reality check here. This project is severely lacking a coder which means nothing is appearing on the PSP. This also means that you do not know your limitations for the art which leads to some wasted effort. It be worth using the IRIS engine just so you can see what it would look like on the PSP and give you a rough idea what you can and can't do with the art. If you can avoid it, don't reinvent the wheel, build upon what IRIS already has and extend the functionality of the engine to suit your game.

Accordion
June 16th, 2006, 22:37
sorry but i agree
its the best bet for getting a game made without a coder

Cap'n 1time
June 16th, 2006, 23:40
Reality check here. This project is severely lacking a coder which means nothing is appearing on the PSP. This also means that you do not know your limitations for the art which leads to some wasted effort. It be worth using the IRIS engine just so you can see what it would look like on the PSP and give you a rough idea what you can and can't do with the art. If you can avoid it, don't reinvent the wheel, build upon what IRIS already has and extend the functionality of the engine to suit your game.

This is probably true. I think IRIS not nearly as far along as some of you might like also... In fact i think I read that Monkey's beatup up game isnt exactly a FULL FLEDGED IRIS MOD but rather somthing heavily based on the iris engine. However grab Monkeys attention the way you did me with this fine example of modeling and he might have something in mind for you :)

SnoopKatt
June 16th, 2006, 23:55
It's great to see that other people are fans of RE2

jman420
June 16th, 2006, 23:56
I thank everyone for the enthusiasim, but I realy just want this game to be done right, with fully meshed objects, not static meshes in the doom3 level builder....and yaustar, I know the limits for the psp,
it can render over 300,000 triangles per rendering pass, (minus a bit for lighting and shadows) but still your guarnteed 200,000 triangles per pass if you code a rendering engine good enough...

Now, I need someone to code, I dont want to go with modding another game if I dont have to..

jman420
June 17th, 2006, 00:07
and guys! this project isnt going to end untill its done, I dont care how long it takes, its gonna get done... as for the start I'm just working on a "teaser" movie to show off the levels with a general idea for camera angles, and appearance, this will probobly be in the form of a 100MB AVI lol... but either way, I will get it done, this project will not die out as I have seem so many else do...

P.S, even if I made an IRIS mod, its still stuck to only exploring the level in 3D, I have one of those for computers... I just dont see a reaon to release it...
I'd rather have a game built on the model, rather then the ability to view it...

and lastly, why are people downloading my pics?? lol, I sure hope your not all ripping them off and calling them your own....

yaustar
June 17th, 2006, 11:18
I thank everyone for the enthusiasim, but I realy just want this game to be done right, with fully meshed objects, not static meshes in the doom3 level builder....and yaustar, I know the limits for the psp,
it can render over 300,000 triangles per rendering pass, (minus a bit for lighting and shadows) but still your guarnteed 200,000 triangles per pass if you code a rendering engine good enough...

Now, I need someone to code, I dont want to go with modding another game if I dont have to..
Exactly, coding a solid fast 3D engine from scratch is no mean feat. The problem is getting hold of a coder who is willing to put that effort and time to do that task.

Also what is the difference between a 'fully meshed' object and a 'static' one? As long as the mesh isn't animated then I don't see the problem.

And I was not talking about an IRIS mod, I was talking about getting the engine source code and getting a coder to extend the engine.

bobcobb
June 17th, 2006, 16:26
You won't find a coder with the balls to write a 3d engine from scratch for ya. I agree, if this thing is ever going to get off the ground it will have to be with the IRIS engine.

Accordion
June 17th, 2006, 18:43
seriously i dont know much about the psp, but you only talk about graphics, i really think the psp will struggle managing a whole new dynamic, multi functional game engine, your pics look great, but if they are too good and big it may crash or run very slowly.
Sorry to bring up IRIS again, but even that slows to a crawl sometimes, and the maps in that are not nearly as ambitious as yours.

think about, its no good if a psp can render a 3d worlsd with 300000 whatever if it takes 30 minutes to render it your game. look at callisto as well, that takes at least 20 seconds to load a level and is a 2d sprite based shooter.

all im saying is get a coder (pm PSmonkey) to find out if its going to be possible, cause id hate for you to waste your time

jman420
June 17th, 2006, 19:07
well people, I already have a 3D rendering engine for psp I can use, I just dont have anyone to program for it....

and please guys, no more suggesting IRIS, I realy am not going to work an IRIS mod....

and accordian boy, I dont fully understand your post, but... the graphics on a psp are very powerful, just consider this.. it renders about 50 textures and 200,000 triangles (polygons) per rendering pass (which depends on the frame rate, usualy about 30 rendering passes per second...) anyway! 200k triangles per rendering pass on GTA:LCS, and if you've never noticed it, look at the buildings as you drive past them, there is a lot more polygons in the game then you first notice...

now the one coder I know, the one that built the 3D engine is the same person that built the PS2 engines for the TY the tasmainian tiger games...
so it will have the same ability to render as the GTA engine does....

the reason a 2D sprite game would take a while to load is if its programmed poorly, and has large size sprites, for 3D the models are very small, and the textures are very small...
the whole model of the outside dam is only going to be about 3MB when its done... so the system just loads that and renders it...

and even then, I'm not sure I want to use a 3D engine for anything more then the character models.. I would be willing to use pre-rendered backgrounds instead of staticly rendered..

and I dont want to bother PSMonkey lol, he needs to get his N64 Emulator done :p

yaustar
June 17th, 2006, 19:37
well people, I already have a 3D rendering engine for psp I can use
Now why didn't you say that eariler :confused: ? Coders would be less relectant to join if that was known from the start. In that case, ignore all my previous comments in this thread.

jman420
June 17th, 2006, 20:48
I did say it earlier, you have to read all 10 pages of posts to see what I've said....

yaustar
June 17th, 2006, 22:02
I did say it earlier, you have to read all 10 pages of posts to see what I've said....
I just went through all the posts you made and cant find a reference to it unless you are refering to the Collada thing.

jman420
June 17th, 2006, 23:38
well collada is a file format, and the renderer I know of uses collada format files to render...

I may have never said it, but I thought I did...

but the rendering engine I can use is called the MT Fuji engine, but I realy dont know if any coders have looked at this thread...

but, Yaustar, would you want to work on this project with me? it appears your a coder lol...

yaustar
June 18th, 2006, 00:06
Sorry too busy with my MSc GP2X project at the moment to be of any great help. Is the MT Fuji engine an internal engine that you have permission for. I dont think I have heard of it in the renderer/engine circles.

jman420
June 18th, 2006, 00:47
well, yeah, Mount Fuji is the engine we are using for Caelestis, but I am allowed to use it again for my projects, however it is not avalible to the public.. thats why you havent heard of it...

and here we go, figured I should post another progress picture...

the roof is going to be changed to a metalic roof with a better glass texture, but its supposed to be a wall, with a door in it (notice the push bar on the other side) with a skiylight as you enter the building.. (probobly going to be broken out with bats flying in or somthing cool like that :p )

tallica
June 18th, 2006, 23:28
cool keep the screens cumn im stil tryn 2 get u a coder

Zion
June 19th, 2006, 13:32
looking great! :D

jman420
June 20th, 2006, 00:47
hello all, I decided to make the movie I needed to get the P.D. done, then I can build some character models... and here's what I've gotten done today on the P.D.

Zion
June 20th, 2006, 00:52
Woah! That is absolutley awesome! Your work is stunning Jman. :D

If only a coder would join you...................

Briggzy11
June 21st, 2006, 03:08
Yeh Jman this is coming along great I remember first talking to you when you had the ideas for this and I am glad you have not thought of scraping it. I am also glad you sound so dedicated to this project and most coders and designers need to copy you. It really looks too good for the PSP but I enjoy to see the out come for this soon, well enough to subscribe to the thread lolol.

jman420
June 21st, 2006, 03:50
heh, well thanks briggzy, I think this is a project that is truly worthy of being finnished lol.. however, it could be a while.. my friend just left for the army a few weeks ago, so here in a year or 2 he might know how to code for me lol.. and I'm going to tech school this fall, so I might even be able to learn enoguh C++ to get a computer demo or somthing..

Kaiser
June 21st, 2006, 08:04
Stickied. Work has begun on the project page within my site. I'll edit this with an update in a few hours.

stotheamuel
June 21st, 2006, 08:48
can the psp handle this ;)

Kaiser
June 21st, 2006, 08:52
Okay the page is up

http://survivehq.dcemu.co.uk/RE2project/

I did it quicker then I thought it would take. My HTML skills must be improving. PM me if you'd like me to make any changes. I'll only host it as long as it stays legal. Try to keep it clean and avoid any copyright infringement. If I see anything illegal or if Capcom becomes overly attentive of this project then I'll be forced to pull the plug and remove the content from DCEmu.

With that I say Good Luck and keep up the good work.

Zion
June 21st, 2006, 13:27
Great news! Having dcemu hosting the project :p

rmedtx
June 21st, 2006, 13:32
either way, I'm still looking for people to assist me with the project...

I'm really busy right now with a other projects. But if you need some help with textures please let me know. I'm sure I can help with that. ;)

I'm looking forward to play a demo.

Cap'n 1time
June 21st, 2006, 18:14
I'm really busy right now with a other projects. But if you need some help with textures please let me know. I'm sure I can help with that. ;)

I'm looking forward to play a demo.

jman, you might want to go for this guy... hes the man :)

jman420
June 21st, 2006, 18:40
heh, well yeah! I'll talk to him

Accordion
June 21st, 2006, 18:48
Y's (2D-3D Artist, and project director)

do you mean THE "Ys"

jman420
June 21st, 2006, 18:55
I mean Y's the vannished omens, originaly released on Sega Master System, later released on NES, Turbo grafx CD, PS2, and PC

and accualy, even if I get a build of it done, it will never be released to the public, it would have to be a perfect copy for me to be happy, and that would give me a copyright troubles if anyone from Falcom saw it released..

why?

and please, again, if you have somthing off-topic to say, or ask me (off topic from the RE project) please PM me or talk to me on an IM, I'm usualy on yahoo lol

jman420
June 22nd, 2006, 18:58
lol now that this is a sticky, not as many people are looking at it

tallica
June 22nd, 2006, 23:16
lol yeah i noticed that i would of thought more people would look at it. any new screens!? i really cant w8 4 ur video

jman420
June 23rd, 2006, 07:04
lol, well its all good, I never even noticed it when it was turned into a sticky, I was still looking for it lower down lol...

well no, no screens today, and I may end up leaning away from the RE project for the moment, I'm realy behind on the Caelestis models, and I need to get those done, and I'm working on animating zombies, in fact thats what I did today was work on some bone sctructure for character models.. its still going to be a while though.. Thanks for checking back.. I'll get somthing done on the model tomorow, I'll probobly start the town model or somthing, I realy dont have a lot more to do on the dam (other then add the road and landscape around it)

and I need to build the lab, but I dont want to for the moment, I need to think about its design a bit more..

and the P.D. work needs to stop, I'm afraid that it could be to much like plagerisim for what I have modeled so far.. I dont know, I'll have to ask capcom..

anyway, I'll try to get something done and posted by tomorow night..

Kaiser
June 23rd, 2006, 08:27
I'll have to ask capcom..

If Capcom ever gets to worried about this RE2 clone you could always create a totally original Resident Evil clone with the same content you originally made. I'm sure you could alter them enough to work for a new game. Until then keep up what your doing, things are looking good.

Any luck finding a willing coder yet?

jman420
June 23rd, 2006, 08:57
yeah, or as I have considered, I could compleetly change the name, and just make it like a resident evil game lol...

I had been thinking about telling everyone that the "Resedent Evil" title is like, a working title, I can change it lol..

What I ment was, the model for the Police Department level is almost identical to the P.D. in RE2, so I feal it may be the same as re-drawing their work and calling it my own.

and no Kaiser, still no coder, I asked PSMonkey, but I may have come off as a complete retard, because he didnt answer.. so.. I'll just wait for someone to contact me.

tallica
June 23rd, 2006, 12:53
did you write to the creators of re2 and ask if you could clone it?

jman420
June 23rd, 2006, 21:18
not yet, I realy dont know how to ask that kind of question

Accordion
June 24th, 2006, 17:34
if you want to ...
i suggest being incredibly polite(beyond average reasoning) and just stating you would like to produce a NON-PROFIT homage to resident evil 2 homebrew game on the psp free for people to use
be flattering
really highlight the fact it is NON- PROFIT
but
you will almost certainly get aq very awkward and contrived corporate letter probably saying not to use any trademarks OR ELSE
and that any new ideas you come up with, will not give you the right to compensation or ownership in the event that the developers use you ideas or similar in the production of there titles

jman420
June 24th, 2006, 19:20
well, I'm not quite to the point of ass-kissing for a game remake, I think I'm going to make it anyway, since it will be original textures and level design it will still be original enough to not get me in trouble. also, I never thought I would make a full remake of the original game, that will be in about 3 or 4 years when my buddies and I are going to make "Resident Levi" which will be an accual remake with humor.. this is a first project, and attemt to make somthing to show just what I can do, along with making a great game in general

jman420
June 25th, 2006, 06:16
sorry people, nothing sizable done on RE, I've been working on Caelestis..

and me and a friend are having a FF8 contest.. to see who can beat the game (properly) the fastest..
and of course by properly, I mean level 8 untill disc 4, encounter none before Timber, and ultimate junctions! :D

so I'll try to work on some modeling when I get a chance, I just need to take a break and work on my yearly FF8 contest :p

jman420
June 26th, 2006, 23:30
Hey again everyone! I have made even more progress, I have a playable lua app built to view pictures.. Its not much, but its my start at learning lua myself to code this game in 2D to start with!

so here it is, I'm sure nobody cares, but its somthing to waste a while downloading and copying over to your psp :D

its for 1.5 F/W PSP's only
and I hold no responsibility for any dammage this program may cause ( I dont see why it would, but its a reasonable way to not get anyone mad if it does brick randomly)

keep in mind this is my first app for any system, so it sucks, and doesent have a profesional sence.. but its damn cool for 3 hours of reading Lua tutorials lol

Kaiser
June 27th, 2006, 00:20
Nice work Jman. I made a news post about it. All coding whether the smallest of LUA apps or the biggest emulators deserves some publicity and will be reported on by DCemu.

PM wraggster or DarkSaviour69 to ask for coder access. I'm sure the new forums it access for you will help you find some coder talent for this and many other projects.

Sumo X
June 28th, 2006, 01:37
I looked at the photos- I think they look great!

If you're really serious about doing a project of this scale, I'd suggest more of an original take. It can pay homage to the RE series (and poke fun at it, occasionally), but I wouldn't get too wound up in making an exact re-creation.

And while I'm at it, I might as well throw this out, but if you need someone to do some music/effects, I'd be more than happy to help. Sorry that I'm not much of a coder; when I took C++ classes, I tended to surf the net and play Javanoid more than I actually worked.

jman420
June 28th, 2006, 04:44
well hey sure We'll eventualy need some kind of music, for starters just a music piece to put in the main hall of the RE2 P.D. so if you want to work on one of those? and if you want, you can add me on one of my instant messanging service buttons to talk to me on MSN AIM or Yahoo.

and those that know how to program in C, I think that it would be simplest if the one person I have helping with his 3D engine works on the graphics and engine side of the game.
while someone else that knows how, can code the various other things that need done (controll, Artificial Intellegence, a menu system, and some item systems.. So if anyone knows how to program in C, and has some spare time, could someone please help me with some code for these fields.

And its finaly started to come together, I have gotten another modeler on board, And a C programmer with a 3D engine, we hope to have something to show by next month some time, it should all come together by then, so those that are interested, you wont be waiting long! We're trying to build a game demo :D

its all going to happen now :D
it wont be fully 3D yet,
but eventualy I can update the 3D engine and code some myself..
as for now we are using a low power engine (about 3k triangles per rendering pass maximum) so I've worked out to use pre-rendered backgrounds (the same as the pictures I used on the Lua app I built)
with a 3D collision map, with character model and animated items built on that, then an overlay with transperency, so to create an image above the 3D map (so when you walk behind items, the character image is cut off)

please keep checking back for information! :D

Sumo X
June 28th, 2006, 06:30
I will begin working tomorrow morning.

Hopefully I'll create something you like. :)

Kaiser
June 28th, 2006, 06:55
The RPD will need good music :D

The remixed RPD track found in Outbreak File 2 OST might be good inspiration. Or even a song from the unreleased RE 1.5. I'm lucky enough to find that rare song. Its quite creepy and it baffles me that it didn't make it into the final game.

jman420
June 28th, 2006, 09:13
thanks a lot Sumo X! :D
and yeah Kaiser, if I can get some realy good music (from any source), I'm sure it would go in the game somewhere :D

Sumo X
June 28th, 2006, 09:46
Well, instead of sleeping, I got a working version of some music for the main lobby of the RPD (where there's no danger). I loaded up the rom for this game just to hear what kind of music they used, and sort went along those lines.

But if I were to do more music for this game, I'd definately have to take few ideas from the song provided by Kaiser. That did have an ultra creepy feel to it.

Tomorrow I'll tidy it up- won't necessarily be a full piece, but you'll have a very good idea of what I'm imagining. I don't want to work hard to do it "perfect" only to later have to go back and make changes that could take more time or to find out that you don't like it at all. ;)

Briggzy11
June 28th, 2006, 11:58
I have a big library of RE music that you can have if you like :D

I will upload it on another website to save this site their memory I bet they have loads of memory use on here lol

Accordion
June 28th, 2006, 16:11
how about something like the queen and darkness themes from ICO, ?????

jman420
June 28th, 2006, 17:49
ok I'll adress these one at a time.

Sumo X: Well execelent, I'd like to hear it, thats what I had originaly thought, if we re-mix the song and dont rip off the accual song, its not considered "stealing" the music. And it sounds like thats what you did, so I cant wait to hear it.

Briggzy11: No thanks, I have all the psf files of all the resedent evil games on PS1 I just didnt want to use any of the tracks

Accordianboy: I dont eeven know what ICO is, can you ecplain what that is?

Accordion
June 28th, 2006, 18:28
What!?!?!??!?

its an early ps2 game by fumito ueda,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ico
one of the best games on ps2 ever.
the music is moswtly really moody and creepy electronic stuff, almost like the Bords of Canada(thats a band, by the way)

is it okay to upload one song from the OST, not too sure about legal issues?????

Kaiser
June 28th, 2006, 18:37
s it okay to upload one song from the OST, not too sure about legal issues?????

Video Game OST's are grey area really. Technically its illegal in most countries but no one is ever really punished for it. Uploading only one track is fine with me however.

Accordion
June 28th, 2006, 19:00
cant be too careful, fear the corporation!!!!

heres one track off the ICO OST, very atmospheric
it should unzip okay, just say if not, my zip apps been acting up lately.

if you like, and i get some free time ill have a go at making some sample tracks a bit similar to this, going for a knife/bjork/boards of canada type of sound
i cant promise anything, lifes too hectic, but i would enjoy doing something musical after the stress of my exams...

Sumo X
June 28th, 2006, 21:22
Ok, so here's a rough draft of some music. It's not quite how I'd like to present it, but I don't think you want me to take a few days to reflect just to see if its any good at all :p.

If you have suggestions, I'm all ears. And if you think I suck, well, be gentle about it! :o

I liked the ICO music- I think it would be very possible for me to create something akin to that as well.

jman420
June 28th, 2006, 22:02
Question though, can you mix one where every 4 beats the back track(the main bassline) changes to A#, any maybe you could add in the 2 other notes of A# and G just to make it more then 1 key the intire song?

I understand that 1 key repeated over will sounds creepy and good for the genre, but you have to think about it, RE2 had very musical music in it, all the music had lots of (almost like RPG's) lots of note changes in the music..
I just wondered if you could try to mix it up on your RPD file.
However, it sounds realy good as it is, I'd just like to hear more changes throughout the song.

And on the other hand, I can very faintly hear the music from the accual game in there? I'd like to know what that would sound like turned up a little bit :D

I'd also like to ask if you used MadTracker?

And on to Accordianboy! :D sure, if theres a track, theres a game for it. :D

Accordion
June 28th, 2006, 22:15
good work in short time, it takes me ages to get anything done, i spend loads of time working a piece in my head, then spend ages trying to recreate it on the computer

may i suggest, having the main rhythm and bass sounds really flat sounding, without the volume bouncing around high and low. that way the audience quickly settles into it and it becomes more of decieving background drone. then have some higher minor scales drifting in and out, about a mid volume. finally have some chords right at the top octave striking violently(a bit like psycho) like maybe the same notes as the scales but ascending chords instead

having the ranges really defined will add loads to the suspense and effect....

this is going to be so great

Sumo X
June 28th, 2006, 23:54
jman-

Ok, I think I understand what you want by lowering the tone every 4th sequence. But I'm not sure what you mean by add in 2 other notes. Do you mean the main bassline, or just anywhere? Sorry if that question is confusing, but I'm rather confused myself! :p

And no, I didn't use ANYTHING from the real RE music (or any other game music). I think the sound you're talking about is just some noise from the program I use. I don't use Madtracker (hadn't even heard of it before you mentioned it. I use Fruity Loops 3.5.6.

Again, it was just a demo, so I know it needs more variety, especially with breaks in the music where maybe you just hear a single sound or whatnot.

Accordian boy-

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I understand what you're thinking. To a degree, what you're suggesting would involve rewriting a considerble sum of the music- to the point where I'd probably just be better off starting from scratch.

If the project continues, it will be necessary to write lots of pieces, so I'll be sure to take what you said into account.

And for the record, I don't know Fruity Loops inside and out- that is to say, that I may say something may not be possible now, but it may actually be. As I fiddle with the program, I'm sure I'll unlock many more tricks to achieve certain effects as requested. Over time, I'm sure the music will become more interesting with effects and sounds.

jman420
June 29th, 2006, 00:50
sorry, I'm a confusing speaker lol... I ment can you add musical tones and notes, and change the key once or twice.. I beleave that since its a "safe room" it doesent need to be to horriffic, and I had expected that those 2 other notes "A#" and "G" would go with the general key.
I dont meen to be asking for more, I think that its amazing that you got that done in the short ammount of time you did, so I dont ask any more of you for a while :D

I just thought it needed somthing, at least 1 key change, I will sit down and listen to the whole thing later and talk to you about my vision (I dont meen to try to change your song though, I am a musical artist aswell). so I would only be suggesting the way I would do it..

and try MadTracker, its a good musical compisition program, and has several "voices" for sounds, including a whole lot of synth.. as well as having a MIDI recorder.. it might be good for what your doing.. (just a suggestion)

and Accordianboy, I think that would work, but I could see how that would be more difficult for now, thanks anyway :D

thanks everyone, I'll check back in a while! :D

Sumo X
June 29th, 2006, 02:56
Well, the main riff is in the key of C, which would mean the most 'natural' notes to go to are F and G. But then again, perhaps we want the unnatural for this. :)

I lowered every 4th sequence to A# and it does sound pretty good that way. I'm also working on some sequences that have very little music/sound in them, to sort of recreate that semi-silence feel from RE. After I get some more done and arrange them in a half decent way, I shall share the update.

But if you have time, jman, could you do me a bit of a favor? I went back and reread every post and since there's so much, it's all sort of jumbled in my head. Could you make a post with a single, clear address to the state of this game regarding how many coders you have (and how much coding has been) as well as the artwork/renders and the alike? Just trying to get a feel for how much "game" is actually there and how much of it is still an idea.

jman420
June 29th, 2006, 03:16
yeah, I knew it was in C just from listening to it, and I feel that yes F and G are good notes for C to flow into, but A# seemed to have the right tone to go along with your track...

and yes, I have been planning to re-write all the information about the project, A lot of what I say(what I type) is typed the way it would be said, I type as I think.. I'm in no way a good writer.. lol, but yeah I am going to update all the information about the project as of now on the #1 first thread, give me a while to do it though..
Edit: done for now on the first post information page, this will also be updated for the SHHQ site..

Sumo X
June 29th, 2006, 05:51
Well, you clearly have better hearing than me. I can never seem to recognize the key of any music just by hearing it. :mad:

So if we're gunning for a July demo (and I know that's sort of stretching the word 'demo'), what's the status of the engine in regards to having something actually usable on a PSP?

I don't think I'm going to have a new version up tonight, but I have been learning how to apply different effects to instruments/sounds. The good news is that, well, I can do it and export it just fine. The bad news is I can't save my progress (as in, the fruity loops file which I can edit later) with those effects because they're 'demo' effects. From what searching I've done, these things aren't free, so I'll have to apply certain effects just before I finish a piece.

jman420
June 29th, 2006, 06:08
Well, I've had many years in music, I also realy enjoy the melodies of many older Video Games.

And I have grown to think about the way that somthing sounds, rather then the way it accualy sounds.. And by this I mean, I can think of the way a song will sound in my head, without ever having to listen to it. So when I listen to it, I can hear the differences in keys and notes.

And as for the "Demo" our programmer has a working 3D rendering engine with positional camera, that we can use to render the model of the character in front of a bitmap.. we basicly have the game all ready built for PSP, but we have not yet finnished on the model we were going to use for the character, and still havent finnished on the P.D. Main hall model.
So it wont be released untill the things I have mentioned get done. But I will tell you this, we have a working 3D renderer for PSP, that will render files that I can create on a 3D modeling program.

and its perfectly fine, I dont want to rush you, I think that what you have done so far is impressive, and I would like to hear more of what you can do, but I dont need you to hurt yourself to get it to work.
And like I said, try MadTracker. URL:
http://www.madtracker.org/main.php
It is a very easy to understand music recording tool, that also has a lot of different settings for other voices and allows for RAW WAV files to be played back as voices. It also includes a lot of different syth plugins, and best of all, its free... the only reason you would have to pay for it is if you wanted to export to another format, but if comes with .OGG exporting, and that can be changed to MP3 easily. Or you could use the Nero Wave Editor to record from your systems main sound card bridge :D
I'd at least suggest a download.

Kaiser
June 29th, 2006, 06:09
Nice work on that demo Sumo X it sounded very REish :)

I've got one more track that I must show you guys. Remember Ada's them from RE2? It was one of my favorite tracks in that game. Anyway here is a remix of that same track I found on OCR. Though this track has been turned into a sort-of technoish arrangement it still captures the feel of her theme and the original RE2. I think it be a neat idea to incorperate this theme in some form somewhere in this game as a sort of easter egg for Resident Evil fans.

edit: I've also renamed the title of this thread.

jman420
June 29th, 2006, 06:17
no doubt! Good thinking Kaiser :D Thanks!
And thanks for renaming the thread, I had ment to ask you about that :D

and yes. Sumo X, I hope that I never came across like I didnt like your track, I think that its great, I was just asking if you wanted to try to add a few other sections of different musical tones :D

Sumo X
June 29th, 2006, 09:00
RPD main hall looked pretty good and done to me (even though I could only see half). I'm sure doing character models, even simplistic ones, are a huge task. Still though, sounds like there's a lot of progress coming along on that front. I should begin finishing up different sequences, so I can begin combining them into a piece which could maybe make it into the demo. If possible, I'd like to get my hands on that a little earlier than others. :D

And thanks for the compliment, Kaiser, as well as the link you sent in the PM. Very useful.

jman420
June 29th, 2006, 09:30
well yes, it was poorly modeled, and had some shoddy meshes in it, so I decided to have it re-modeled in the proper scale, as before it was about half scale..

and I think that yes, you can have a piece in the demo, the thing is, it will be 1 track to start, after we get the engine and "Beta" version of the finnished rendering engines and display (along with controls and collission AI) it will be released, and this will be able to test the music play while the game is playing. I think that for a start the "Demo" is going to have 1 level, in 2 seperate forms, with the ability to play on 2.6 via GTA Loader.
And do you have AIM? MSN? Yahoo? some other form of communication for questions like
"I'd like to get my hands on that a little earlier than others" of course you do! lol you dont even have to ask stuff like that..
But still, get an IM serivce! :D

(in other news, I have made my own avatar image :D)

Sumo X
June 29th, 2006, 09:46
Wait wait wait....so all this time, we've had a demo running with essentially a midget running around a 3d world?!?! Why the heck is this not released!??!?!?!:D

And I do have an IM service. Just go get QQ- sure you'll have to be able to write Chinese to verify your sign-up, but hey, you can talk to me and all of my Chinese friends (all girls, by the way ;))!

While that's true, and you can try if you'd like, check your PMs for my AIM name.

jman420
June 29th, 2006, 10:03
yeah essentialy, lol, for the last 2 days we've had that technology, I did not have a coder before. The programmer that joined already had a 3D rendering engine, and at the time, we are working on getting a file format that we can use on the psp rendering program.

heh, I wouldnt mind, I'll check out this QQ- tomorow however, because its freekin 3am lol

Accordion
June 29th, 2006, 12:09
well

i will try and get something up late tonight as fast as possible, i will just be editing some old midi files from all sorts of places for the time being, just finding melodies i thhink will work then changing the key, and timing to get the effect im after,
just to give an idea of what i think will work

dont judge me too harshly when it comes

im fragile..

Sumo X
June 29th, 2006, 20:47
im fragile..

I'm going to break you, boy! :D

Look forward to what you have coming.

jman420
June 29th, 2006, 20:54
im fragile..

Heh, well I'll try not to make ya cry or anything then :p

I think it sounds like you guys are dedicated, so I want to hear whatever you make, even if it doesent sound the greatest, I wouldnt be able to do much better..

Thanks for keeping up the good work :D

jman420
June 29th, 2006, 23:02
and in recent news, NeoDudeMan has joined the team as a programmer, we are on a good roll to build a working beta fairly soon :D

Sumo X
June 30th, 2006, 00:41
and in recent news, NeoDudeMan has joined the team as a programmer, we are on a good roll to build a working beta fairly soon :D
Excellent!!! :) :)

I was a little worried that one coder wouldn't be nearly enough, but I'm glad interest in this project is developing.

HardHat
June 30th, 2006, 00:57
Hi all, I am the programmer with a working 3d engine, but none of JMan's content yet. We will need to work togther for a bit to make that all go together. He is going to send me some of his levels and characters, and I can integrated them into my engine.

I really like Mod Plug Tracker (http://www.modplug.com) -- at least partly because it is completely free. It does waves, and MP3 for sure. And I can figure out the UI. I studied music composition, but I'm very slow at writing music. Programming, on the other hand is what I do best, so that is what I'm going to do here. My SDL games can play .IT and .XM music natively. I think I'll add the OGG library for my 3d game engine though probably.

I'm glad to hear that NeoDudeMan is joining up. Welcome.

Hardhat.

Sumo X
June 30th, 2006, 01:17
Hi all, I am the programmer with a working 3d engine, but none of JMan's content yet. We will need to work togther for a bit to make that all go together. He is going to send me some of his levels and characters, and I can integrated them into my engine.

I really like Mod Plug Tracker (http://www.modplug.com) -- at least partly because it is completely free. It does waves, and MP3 for sure. And I can figure out the UI. I studied music composition, but I'm very slow at writing music. Programming, on the other hand is what I do best, so that is what I'm going to do here. My SDL games can play .IT and .XM music natively. I think I'll add the OGG library for my 3d game engine though probably.

I'm glad to hear that NeoDudeMan is joining up. Welcome.

Hardhat.

I was wondering when you'd finally turn up. :p

I downloaded the Modplug Tracker earlier to test converting some music into the .it format. The only problem is that they're the same size as the .wav files. I've tried lowering the bitrate/khz with some success, but you can definately hear the difference since Modplug Tracker will only let you convert PCM encoded .wav's.

I do think adding .OGG support would be a great idea. It's far easier for me to maintain a certain quality level at lower bitrates when I'm not forced to use PCM .wav files. Although Fruity Loops doesn't let me export to .ogg directly, it's easy enough to convert it with a seperate program.

Keep us updated with what's going on with engine, Hardhat!

HardHat
June 30th, 2006, 01:33
Well, my PSP 3D engine currently imports Quake 3 Arena MD3 character models, and DirectX scenes. I'll be adding support for something that JMan can produce (maybe 3DSMax ASE files, 3DS object files or maybe COLLADA files). We will experiment in the next week. Once that is settled, I'll have to keep my head down to get the importer implemented (1-2 weeks). Then I'll have to get teach the base classes to NeoDudeMan, so he can work on the AIs and game play logic. It all takes time. Maybe screen shots in a week or two.

Still looking in stores for Resident Evil 2 for my PS2.

I downloaded the Modplug Tracker earlier to test converting some music into the .it format. The only problem is that they're the same size as the .wav files. I've tried lowering the bitrate/khz with some success, but you can definately hear the difference since Modplug Tracker will only let you convert PCM encoded .wav's.

Music composed in Modplug Tracker is sort of like a cross between MIDI patches and MIDI events. It tends to be smaller than MP3 files. Of course if you start with prerecorded music, .IT is not the right format. OGG is probably the tightest for a given quality (from what I've heard around).

Hardhat.

Neodudeman
June 30th, 2006, 03:59
I'm so sleepy....

Sumo X
June 30th, 2006, 04:25
Music composed in Modplug Tracker is sort of like a cross between MIDI patches and MIDI events. It tends to be smaller than MP3 files. Of course if you start with prerecorded music, .IT is not the right format. OGG is probably the tightest for a given quality (from what I've heard around).

Hardhat.

Yeah, I have no idea how to use Modplug Tracker for music. I use a version of Fruity Loops to create music, so .ogg works the best for me.

I sincerely hope you can find a way to use that filetype for this engine.

jman420
June 30th, 2006, 04:41
Heh, well now everyone knows who everyone else is.
Thats a start! :p ( I think everyone knows who everyone else is anyway! )

I dont know what to say about the audio, other then I hope that it works out that Hardhat can make an audio decoder. :D

It seems to all have gone together on the model, we almost have the model of the police station f1 main hall room, I'm going to start working on the upper floor some time later. however the current way it is modeled is a little over 80k polygons, and I think its going to about 500k, so it will be the model for the pre-rendered background engine we are going to try to get working.

have you gotten more done on the track Sumo X?

Sumo X
June 30th, 2006, 05:56
Heh, well now everyone knows who everyone else is.
Thats a start! :p ( I think everyone knows who everyone else is anyway! )

I dont know what to say about the audio, other then I hope that it works out that Hardhat can make an audio decoder. :D

It seems to all have gone together on the model, we almost have the model of the police station f1 main hall room, I'm going to start working on the upper floor some time later. however the current way it is modeled is a little over 80k polygons, and I think its going to about 500k, so it will be the model for the pre-rendered background engine we are going to try to get working.

have you gotten more done on the track Sumo X?

Perhaps it's just me, but that seems like an awful lot of polygons for a PSP homebrew (I'm sure the real, commercial games could easily pull that) game to be rendering. Are we sure our engine can handle that much?

Maybe I read that wrong, and you're just doing 3D renders for now, which you can use for pre-rendered bitmaps later.

Anyway, I've been working with the program more, just in general terms. I'm getting much better at using the keyboard for each sounds, which will be used much more in future music (it's slightly used for some things now, but I've gotten significantly better with it....some things/ideas just wouldn't work right for the piece I've started). That being said, I added the A# for every fourth sequence, like I think you wanted it to be done. Also, I tried to add some more 'low' parts where there is very little music playing.

Included in this zip is two version- one at 128kb and one at 64kb. I've already begun to think about limitations of how big this game can be, so I just wanted some feedback for what you guys thought about the lower bitrates to save space vs sound quality. Ideally, we'd use more looping of music, which is what I try to balance with this song (length, which allows for more originalness but larger size vs smaller but more frequently looped music). Ogg sizes are slightly lower, but it's fairly close.

Let me know what you think.

Also, Neodudeman, I tried your block game- very fun. I especially enjoy the 'You dead' message. :D

jman420
June 30th, 2006, 06:41
Yes it is a lot of polygons, but, thats not an issue, its higher polygons to make it look better :)

And the music sounds good, I do apologise, you can make the song however you want. I think I just realised that you modified your song because I asked you to, if you dont want it that way, its your track, so do whatever you want with it, if you think that there are other ways to improve it, feel free. I was just suggesting, not asking for the modifications.

Either way, I think that track sounds realy good, and I think that the bass vollume is great, it sounds good even through the psp speakers. :D

I would like to ask though, is there another voice you could use for that main bass line? I would realy like the bass line to sound like the one in the track for the opening of Resident Evil the movie. but if thats not possible, its just fine :D It sounds good as it is.

Kaiser
June 30th, 2006, 08:29
Nice work guys, its good to see this team pulling together :D

I'll get you a PSP coder tag soon enough Neodudeman and welcome to DCemu!

Any projected release date for a tech demo?

Sumo X
June 30th, 2006, 08:39
Don't apologize- I really LIKE the change. I just wanted to make it clear before that it was just a demo, so changes were to expected. And besides, it's a group project- I would hope that you'd listen to any suggestions I had for a model or render, if it was feasible.

And even now, I'm open to suggestions from anyone about the music. But I do feel that it's getting pretty close to being final, and could probably be accepted that way now if we like it the way it is.

Unfortunately, I haven't even seen the RE movies (just a tendency to stay away from game movies), so I don't know if it's possible. If you can find the name of the song, I'll give it a listen. Or maybe eventually sometime soon I'll go give the movie a rent.

HardHat
June 30th, 2006, 14:36
I don't think OGG will be a problem. I downloaded the library from the ps2dev site, and I'll make a test build with it in next week.

Accordion
June 30th, 2006, 15:19
sorry i ended up going to the pub last night but...

here it is

my first (very quick) attempt
i had a little set back when i figured out i dont have access to a windows laptop anymore(its a friends, it broke), so ive had to make do with garageband on my old mac(its not that bad , except it crashs every time i try and preview what work ive done).

well it still needs a lot of polish, especially on the way new elements mix into the piece.

any feedback is very much welcome, but i will be crap in adjusting anything technical, i just 'fiddle about' (hmm Tommy??) till i think it sounds reasonable...
not the best way to work i know.
its in mp3 at the moment, but when you finalise the format, i can change it
(if you like it that is!)

oh yeah
a special hello to everyone who magically appeared last night

Sumo X
June 30th, 2006, 19:29
I like it.

My one suggestion is that the main beat (sounds like a tom drum to me) is played all the way through, and I think that at certain parts that maybe it shouldn't be playing (and it would be especially cool if you could get it to fade in and out around these parts).

Also, glad to hear that .ogg support is probably going to be in. Makes my life much easier!

Accordion
June 30th, 2006, 19:36
fade in/out i can do easy peasy

give me an hour to have my dinner(food comes first always) and ill see what i can do.

glad you like it though

Accordion
June 30th, 2006, 20:30
its getting really hard now, there is only six tracks yet i can only play about 20 seconds live before it cuts out, so editing is incredibley difficult...
im trying to optimize the setup now to get better performance... i hope it works

do you have any suggestions for where to drop the main drum beat(actually its broken chords just with the pitch really low down, the faint heart beat effect is chords in a really low pitch organ also). im trying to keep it quite simple at the moment, so it can be repeated easily(once i trim all the tracks equally of course) until i figure a way of evolving the higher melodies...
if you can tell, the shimmery after effect is just the drum beat, in a different voice and slightly delayed.
and the qick hissy clicking sound is the same as the high melody part, again just in a different voice and time. really adds to the unity of the piece(i hope)
i replicated the gas hiss from FFX, i love that soundtrack so much

Sumo X
June 30th, 2006, 20:48
I don't have any specific places where I could suggest cutting it out. I would just say cut it out for a bit every minute or so.

Also, my other suggestion that I couldn't think of when I was typing earlier was you should probably shorten it. I'm sure I'm way ahead of myself when thinking about space issues, but 3+ minutes is a little long for game music of this type when I believe 1.5-2minutes would fool most anybody with looping.

Accordion
June 30th, 2006, 21:00
your right about the length, most of it stops about half way, its just the main bass line that continues forever. you would really laugh if i told you what midi file that i edited that from(hint: Level 5, made it).
as soon as i get the app working in real time again i will see waht i can do, at the moment i have to make changes silently then export and listen to it separately, really awful.
anyone who knows how to get better performance in garageband please tell me, nothing seems to work, as soon as i get five tracks playing simultaneously it slows to a crawl!!!! arghhhh

jman420
June 30th, 2006, 21:50
you didnt use a Resident Evil music MIDI did you? I think that we need to try to make original stuff, not by any means rip off another song, and by the way I swear I left a message earlier, but I must have not hit post, so I'll leave it again.

I think that song kicks ass, it sounds a lot like a survival horror track, and I think it will go great, but its going to end up going on the lower floor Labrotory I beleave, that would be a good place for it.

Thanks a lot accordianboy, if thats compleeted I think it sounds good, if it isnt, I cant wait to hear the next version lol.
Thanks!

Accordion
June 30th, 2006, 22:22
oops i just deleted my post, heres attempt two...
no i didnt copy any midi files, i looked at(heard) two resi files for inspiration but retracted further from it as i progressed.
the main beat is a heavily modified twist on a guitar theme from dark chronicle(i said it was funny)

im just working on the fade out/in that was suggested, ive put one in the middle, and one at the end to fade back in to the beginning and hide the repeat.

thanks jman, i like the idea about the laboratory theme, so ive increased the volume a little on the dual gas hiss every four bars.
is that part of the game done yet??

jman420
June 30th, 2006, 22:58
no, however if I get to working on it, the main P.D room should be done

Edit:
Well, I got somthing impressive finished on the model today, along with the help of Meyitzo (the other 3D artist), we have almost finished the intire model of the first room of the P.D. (I modeled the upstairs and wood railings). This model doesent show the objects within the desk area, but it has been modeled.

Also for anyone that cares, the model is 130k poloygons at the moment :D

Sumo X
July 1st, 2006, 08:05
Looks like a solid model- I take it that the model gets textured seperately, which is why it's entirely gray?

BrooksyX
July 1st, 2006, 08:35
Wow, I am speechless. This game is starting to look awesome and I am looking forward too more than any of the commercial psp games. Hope you guys can get a demo out soon! =)

jman420
July 1st, 2006, 10:56
yeah, I'm waiting for some textures, then it will be finnished..

Thanks Bigmace, I think it will work nicely :D

Zion
July 1st, 2006, 11:03
its looking superb :D

jman420
July 1st, 2006, 11:34
hey nice sig pic Zion, I still think mine is better tho :p (well its not a sig pic, but avatar icon)..

Anyway! Thanks! :D

Accordion
July 1st, 2006, 17:38
still having some performence problems, but at least now i can listen to a live preview, really wish live editing worked though!

heres a 2 minute cut version
i have included the two fade out/in of the main beat
and have adjusted volumes for tracks etc,
i have also filled gaps at the beginning and end to help with the repeat transition, i think itll do if it just repeats cold(like from start to end, repeat start to end)
but a 3 second crossfade makes it pretty much seamless.

again its an mp3 at the moment but im sure it can be converted however when needed.
unless anyone has any more suggestions(or i get any ideas) i am quite happy with this as the final edit.
hope you agree
(i will keep the file on disc so anything can be changed if needed)

by the way, the new screenshot looks great
cant wait for a demo
(hopefully with the ability to choose between our two tracks? (ive got IRshell so it isnt a must)

erm... oh yeah
i turn 18 tomorrow! happy birthday to me
(edit: i spelt horror with only two "R"s in the song name,and survival with one "V". note to self; im an idiot)

edit: atachment removed, new version on page 22

jman420
July 1st, 2006, 21:44
hmm, ya know Accordian, I dont get PM's any faster then I get these posts, I didnt even look at my PM's untill I had already downloaded your music..

heh, its definetly the genre of music for a survival horror game :D I like it.. and the tracks on the demo should be a few seperate tracks, I'll need at least the 2, and I'm working on a save room track.. so we should have a few peoples music in there :D

And happy B-Day then, I have to wait 7 more days to be 18 (I already tell people I am, but..)

survial horror works too, if you want the name doesent have to be anything special.. I can modify it when I put it in the game.

Accordion
July 1st, 2006, 21:51
yeah i guessed that anyway, just thought it was funny.
gad you like it anyway

my profile says im already 18, just habbit i guess

jman420
July 1st, 2006, 22:03
heh A! heh, yeah when your about 30 days within being an age, you just call that age anyway, mostly only to people you dont know though..

and B! I realy like your sig :p

Accordion
July 1st, 2006, 22:18
its actually really useful cause if im in another thread, all i need to do is click the link and im back!

off topic but im getting some SHURE E4c earphones
woohoooooooooo
they better be worth the money (144 pounds)
shocking, i could get a new psp for that!

jman420
July 1st, 2006, 23:03
ya know, the Ec2's are just as good.. and they are only $100.00 :p and they still kick ass! :D still, thats cool though, but why did you even go for the E4c's? you could have gotten Ec2's and half another psp lol

Accordion
July 2nd, 2006, 12:21
i guess bigger is better?
i would have got a modchip but im a bit too scared
they sould get delivered tomorrow, i hope!

jman420
July 2nd, 2006, 22:23
well still, they are damn good, you couldnt possably notice the difference between e2c and e4c though unless you have an audiophile quality audio amplifier, because you still have 128kbps mp3 compressed music on your psp lol..

and personaly, I think that the mod chip is almost useless untill F/W 3.0 comes out, then I'm going to get one, and have 1.5 and 3.0 :D

Accordion
July 3rd, 2006, 09:32
hows the progress, jman

im surprised this thread is not getting much interest, its a shame really...

HardHat
July 3rd, 2006, 12:42
I really like the latest version of your sound track. I know Sumo X said to shorten it, but I'm not convinced that it needs to be so short (2 minutes might be a happy medium). I'll try and post detailed comments about the track today later today, if you're interested. I think that as much as it has improved, it can still be polished a little further. I would at least request that it fade out and back in again, or have the ending and begining match better -- to make it loop seamlessly.

hows the progress, jman

JMan went over the model and game engine todo list with me last night, and I'm going to work on the code for the demo including the following:

display prerendered background for the PD station. More than one angle. JMan will supply some untextured shots for me to work from (any we'll replace with finished ones when they are ready)
collision mesh which include the camera positions
I will supply some place holder Quake3Arena models for the demo (more interesting than a big cube walking around. There are lots of them available.
JMan will supply at least one item that you can pick up (maybe healing herbs).

In the demo, you'll be able to walk around from security camera to security camera, pick up the item, and maybe encounter the zombie/enemy. Just to give you a feel for how it all fits together.

Once the basics start to work, the code for the zombie AI can be done by Neodudeman. We'll see how much time he gets before the demo is released. And that will determine whether you can interact with the enemy in the demo.

Accordion
July 3rd, 2006, 13:07
sure, i did say i would keep it open to editing, im happy for suggestions from anyone.

im still having small problems, but i guess its just cause my computer is so old.

if you want a complete fade out at the end and a fade in at the start then i can do that soon.

post your comments and ill see what i can do

Sumo X
July 3rd, 2006, 18:29
Well, my two days as host are over, so now I can return to this thread/working on music again. That was the real reason I couldn't listen to your edited version, accordian. :p

Anyway, I like the fade-ins/outs. Like HardHat said, the song needs to be loopable, so that's my only other suggestion.

Also, the reason I had suggested it to be shorter was out of space concerns. Now, HardHat, maybe you can clarify this for me. Given that the PSP has only 32mb of ram, doesn't this limit us to how big the total game can be since we're not use disc media with an official SDK? Or is the size of our game irrelevant and would only affect download size (duh) and loading times?

jman420
July 3rd, 2006, 19:05
Well no! I think that the track is fine, please dont change it, it needs to have the fade out, pause, fade in.. I dont want a seemless track loop, that never sounds good (then you just listen to the same thing over and over again) .. I think that its parfek as it is. If you have other changes to do (adding background noises(maybe people yelling or gunshots in the distance) or somthing like that, feel free, but I personaly think that the length is great..

And sorry to all that came to this thread and saw a group of posts about earbuds :P I ment to change the subject back to G.S.H.C. #1.. I have been working a lot on my own Lua RPG lately, but I have had a bit of time to work on the P.D. model, we almost have the intire model (all 3 floors) done, so far the other 3D artist has finnished the downstairs, and I'm just working on wall shape on the other 2 floors..

I'm also waiting on some textures from our texture artist, so when I get some of those I can start texturing the level, and lighting the level to finnish the scene.

I wont be around today however, I am going out of town untill tonight, so there wont be any real progress on this end of the project. But possably tonight I can work on it if I get home early enough. :D

I think that this is still the greatest project I've worked on, and I just thank everyone for their help and support.

Accordion
July 3rd, 2006, 20:00
eh

erm

ill do a full fade out/in tomorrow afternoon,
and ill do another version with a proper repeat
(has anyone got any tips to make a proper transition?)

ive just started a new track, more of a safe zone one this time, at least at the moment...

jman420
July 4th, 2006, 04:03
well dont make the save room sound track, thats the one I'm working on :D

Kaiser
July 4th, 2006, 06:07
well dont make the save room sound track, thats the one I'm working on :D

Mmm

Some of the best music in RE games are found in the save rooms. Always gives a good atmospheric effect.

HardHat
July 4th, 2006, 06:16
Also, the reason I had suggested it to be shorter was out of space concerns. Now, HardHat, maybe you can clarify this for me. Given that the PSP has only 32mb of ram, doesn't this limit us to how big the total game can be since we're not use disc media with an official SDK? Or is the size of our game irrelevant and would only affect download size (duh) and loading times?

Well, we can stream in each sound file, or decode it as it plays, depending on what works best. Those use less RAM than decoding it then playing the full decoded song.

You're right that there is only 32MB of RAM (and for homebrew there is more like 16MB truely available), but the most important constraint is how big level packs are on the MemStick. Most people only want to use a limited amount of their memory stick for any given game. I've challenged JMan to make all of the levels 50MB or less, so that if you're tight on space, you still have room for the level you're trying to beat.

For limiting the amount of space used on the memory stick I agree.

I've been looking for sample code for playng OGG songs on the PSP and I think I've found something suitable on PSP-Programming.com.

jman420
July 4th, 2006, 11:23
Mmm

Some of the best music in RE games are found in the save rooms. Always gives a good atmospheric effect.

I agree :D

jman420
July 5th, 2006, 19:27
Well Hey everybody! We've been working hard! so far we have an intire level modeled, we're working on texturing it.
And I'm working on a new Library model, as its the transition between the second and third floors. Hardhat is working on an alpha demo, to test our method of gameplay. I'm still working on the music, and not a whole lot else. The whole project is moving nicely though, its all starting to fall together now! :D

Accordion
July 5th, 2006, 19:35
ive been a bit preoccoupied
so no progress yet

jman420 as your "project director" what is the status with the last track i did...? its up to you, im a bit confused at the moment(everyone wants something different!)

(off topic: my E4cs came today, WOW absolutely amazing, its like i had never heard my music before!)

jman420
July 5th, 2006, 19:40
well like I said, it sounds great as it is, you dont need to change anything.. the only thing I ask, is that the music fades out and back in (does not loop endlessly) and I ask that it be the same length as it was on the last track you posted on here.
nothing else needs done to it :D

Accordion
July 5th, 2006, 20:10
okay
gald that was sorted out...
ill do a full fade out and get it up tomorrow

HardHat
July 6th, 2006, 19:41
I've been working with meyitzo (the other 3d artist), and he provided me with a collision mesh and three camera angles with camera positions, as suggested by JMan. He's working on the other floors of the PD. I'll have some of that integrated soon (hopefully a test build for you to see by Monday).

I'm a little distracted because I have a paying programming contract today to attend to.

Accordion
July 6th, 2006, 20:19
monday !!!!

woohoo!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jman420
July 6th, 2006, 20:33
"Suggested by Jman" eh?

And keep in mind folks, this is an alpha demo, not going to be released to the public (nor to any of the beta testers) this is just a test to check out the game engine, the backgrounds in this demo wont even be textured, so it could be a while before a public release, but its a step in the right direction nonetheless.

However!@ I'm excited Hardhat! I want to test it out! :D

Accordion
July 6th, 2006, 21:24
hmmm

no fair

jman420
July 6th, 2006, 21:45
nah! its fair! lol its not a fully built game. its only a test.. give me a few days to model and texture somthing that will look better, then we can release a working respectable version :D

Accordion
July 6th, 2006, 21:51
im just kidding
im patient....

...with limits arghhh

HardHat
July 6th, 2006, 23:44
When the build's ready I'll be adding a team web page and a closed beta web page both password controlled with my current builds. Jman will send a password to the people who need it. Then we will work towards the demo version to give out publicly.

Hopefully that should give accordian boy the access he needs, and me the feedback I need. Any news on the version of the track that includes the fade in/fade out?

jman420
July 7th, 2006, 00:48
that sounds like a great idea!

Kaiser
July 7th, 2006, 05:55
When the build's ready I'll be adding a team web page and a closed beta web page both password controlled with my current builds. Jman will send a password to the people who need it. Then we will work towards the demo version to give out publicly.

Yeah sorry I can't offer more to this project myself but I have limits to what I can manipulate in DCemu (Maybe wraggster can give you guys free hosting if you asked nicely). Even if you guys decide to continue your work off DCemu I'd be more then happy to affiliate with your teams web page and mirror your releases at my site. :D

jman420
July 7th, 2006, 08:27
I think that I will keep the project hosted here, and the site that HardHat is making will be more like the development site, where the contributers would be able to help by testing the newest version of the game and engine, and give feed back. Public releases I will still want on here, so I still want to have this page here on DCEmu for the forum and posting ability between the other contributers and I. and of course! Public updates.

Accordion
July 7th, 2006, 18:36
sorry it took so long...i tried to something clever in another track, to try and get two out at the same time...but it didnt work so ill start track 2 again soon
hers a full fade in/out. and ive had some other issues, which you really dont want to get involved in so lets leave it there

erm someone tell me what you think, ive heard it way too many times, and it just sounds worse and worse the more i listen to it, cant get it out of my head!
if its okay, then i would prefer to leave it who it is now and get another one out, im sure any master track fades could be done quickly(i mean it this time)

listen to the end particulary, im not certain if it should be a more prominant ending? but like i said, too much at the moment to think straight

silly mistake, the file name was too long, and it couldnt read it
here it is:

jman420
July 7th, 2006, 21:01
Well that sounds good to me, I think that it definitly sounds like a "survival horror" game, and it will work great in a certin part of the game. the only thing I can think of is... this track is a great outdoors, or alleyway track. not intirely suited for a room inside. another option is the labrotory, but again, I'm working on that track.

This track will most likely be used outside the P.D. on the front step area, there it will go great :D I realy think its good, it has a lot of scary themed sounds in it, which will add to the suspense if your being eaten by 20 zombies :D

I appriciate it! :D

I have more requests for music tracks at the time, but if your to busy, its perfectly fine, SumoX has his own things to take care of aswell.

HardHat
July 8th, 2006, 18:06
It really sounds quite good. I like what you've done to it since the first upload a while back. The fade in and fade out should work okay -- we'll see once we put it into the level if it feels right.

I am still working towards the first build with static backgrounds and imported cameras. I've been working on the ASE parser still. I won't make any progress today since I'm going overnight-camping. But I'll post when I have something to show.

Mysteryman
July 9th, 2006, 05:03
If ur looking for any testers I would really like to check it out. I would offer my assistance but I dont think theres anything I can do.

jman420
July 9th, 2006, 23:08
well no sorry, we have got to many testers as it is, but thank you, the game will probobly be released to the public at about the time its going to be tested by the testers anyway :D

Zion
July 9th, 2006, 23:14
Can't wait for the release Jman :D

HardHat
July 10th, 2006, 20:48
Well, my search is over. Today I finally found a Resident Evil 2 in one of the bargin bins at an Electrionic's Boutique. So instead of paying $12 shipping plus ebay bid amount, I paid just $9. Hopefully it works. I'll try it tonight.

jman420
July 10th, 2006, 21:48
heh! alright! you'll probobly enjoy it :D

Briggzy11
July 10th, 2006, 21:53
Jman420 sorry I aint been in contact for a while here, been in Germany supporting the rubbish England Squad.

Sounds like the game is going to be released soon and I am pleased about this, of course its going to take time but I am so ready to try it and give a review for you. Best of luck to you again mayte :D

jman420
July 11th, 2006, 09:13
heh, thanks Brigzy! we have gotten quite a bit done on the game, the majority of the main hall is now modeled (thanks to Meyitzo) And now the Library (which I have done) And I think that Hardhat has a first game test for me, but I havent talked to him yet.

I wanted to post a picture of progress, I have almost completed the Library (second floor. west wing) And I am happy with the results, I have yet to add handrails and books to the shelves, as well as wall deacoration, (and of course, textures:p ) but for the most part, it is done :D

Briggzy11
July 11th, 2006, 23:03
Woah now your making me jealous because of all this talent you have...

It looks fantastic thats all I can say m8.

I am really looking forward to reviewing this game now lolol, just the graphics alone get a score of 8 out of 10 lol

jman420
July 11th, 2006, 23:08
8 out of 10?! well it is only almost done lol. it could score higher when its done eh? :p

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 17:29
dude done or not this is gunna be "the must have" on everyones psp...u got some skill Jman, ive been watchin this thread just never posted but dude ur awesome at what u do :D

jman420
July 12th, 2006, 19:40
well thanks dude! I enjoy it, and always try to make the models as realistic as possible. so thanks!

BL4Z3D247
July 12th, 2006, 19:57
ur welcome bro :D, btw what are the characters gunna look like, are u gunna make em urself?

jman420
July 12th, 2006, 21:44
well for the first demo, we are going to use simple free models, then afterwards I will make my own

Kaiser
July 12th, 2006, 22:32
Looking great guys, remember to make the Police Station not too similar to the RPD ;)

jman420
July 13th, 2006, 02:36
its a bit late to do that on the main hall :-\ the other modeler is kind of a perfectionist, so its basicly a direct copy, but the textures will be different :D

Sumo X
July 13th, 2006, 02:51
Hey guys, I'm just about to wrap up most of my hectic few weeks. Feel free to make suggestions on any music I should begin making.

I might be a little flaky, but I assure you I'm here!

jman420
July 13th, 2006, 04:10
haha well alright Sumo! good to hear that your back on the job! :D

Kaiser
July 13th, 2006, 05:48
its a bit late to do that on the main hall :-\ the other modeler is kind of a perfectionist, so its basicly a direct copy, but the textures will be different :D

Nice, I just don't want to see your guys hard work shut down by Capcom. As long as you make it somewhat different we should all be okay. :D

Keep at it!

HardHat
July 13th, 2006, 12:55
Well, I've been chipping away at the first test build of the game engine with multiple camera angles and collision mesh provided by Meyitzo. I'm getting there, but I've been busy with other projects. I will have more time next week, after weekend trip to Chicago. Then I'll really be able to crank out some code.

So for now, I don't have a good test build to share with the team.

I'll update again Tuesday after I'm back.

Sumo X
July 13th, 2006, 19:09
Thanks for keeping us updated HardHat.

Enjoy Chicago!

Briggzy11
July 15th, 2006, 13:48
lol it'll be a definite 10 when its complete...

jman420
July 15th, 2006, 19:20
Heh, I was thinking the same thing :P thats why I had comsidered releasing it in a contest (and possably winning) but I desided not to as that would mean that I couldnt release it before another coding contest, and I would rather let the public play it instead of waiting for a contest to start.

but thanks! I hope its a 10 out of 10 kind'a game :D

Accordion
July 15th, 2006, 21:56
hello all....
i think im back to normal now? women!!!!!! ahhhhh!!!

any way i think the coding comps are around august... if there is anything early august it might be worth holding off a release a couple of days and then entering it into a compo...

also what do you think of a primarily piano composition? perhaps with some faint percussion as well( although a piano is percussion:p) or some strings chords, i sat down at my keyboard the other day and this thing just flowed out of my fingers, sounded quite good, if i can get a new midi cable i should have it done in a week at the most...

jman420
July 16th, 2006, 00:04
that would be good, we need somthing for the main hall.

BrooksyX
July 16th, 2006, 02:53
I think it would be good for you to enter it into a contest, the one at pspupdates ends on august 20 and thats about a month off. Plus that gives you more time to make it better for a good public release.

Briggzy11
July 16th, 2006, 21:24
I think it would be good for you to enter it into a contest, the one at pspupdates ends on august 20 and thats about a month off. Plus that gives you more time to make it better for a good public release.

I was gonna say the same thing lol...

...They do have some good games in the competition apparantly but I do think this could beat them, the winner only gets forum points but of course you get more respect and stardom from other members :P, either way you got mine so far :D

jman420
July 17th, 2006, 20:06
I just might, I'm not sure yet.. but I'm sure this kind of game would win 1st place :D

Accordion
July 17th, 2006, 20:59
if you think it will win then do it!!!!!
(i think so too)
only trouble is competing with PSmonkey!

jman420
July 19th, 2006, 07:22
well true! I think I might, and try to finish up my other projects and get them in aswell lol...

Accordion
July 19th, 2006, 23:32
yay
finally got a midi cable, can start production very soon, only problem is this damm uk heat wave, highest july temp ever in uk.

it burns it burns!