PDA

View Full Version : PSmonkey Updates: New IRIS to be released. New Project announced!

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2006, 15:36
PSmonkey has posted both good news and bad news today. The bad news is that he will be taking a break from working on his N64 emulator. The good news is that a new version of IRIS is promised to be released today! But PSmonkey didn't stop there! He has announced a new 3D fighting project too!

Ok after all the crap that went on with m64 recently I desided to reflect on things a bit. So here is a general update.

- Monkey64 -
After all the recent crap I have desided to go back to my plan on taking a small break to reflect where I want to head on this project. The project is far from dead but there will probably not be any updates for a few weeks.

- Iris -
The gods have smiled on you all. Iris 0.2 alpha is going up later today (friday). Do note that this build is early and as such is a serious WIP/Alpha. Bots will be disabled !! (there is a stability issue with them). The point of the alpha release is to get everybody up to date on the latest engine so moders can start taking better use of Iris. There has been huge improvements in overall performance and of couse all the new goodies like surface clipping (still has bugs), improved colissions and all that jazz will be there to play with. So consider the build to be more BspViewer 0.3 then Iris (Do note BspViewer is now dead, The engine is now iris, not bspviewer anymore, and will stay that way from here on out).

- New Project -
Details are little but I got some serious chearing up today. I recently finaly got an atomiswave kit with demolish fist in for my arcade (sadly had to trade tons of stuff for it. ). Anyways first time I played demolish fist I felt bored to tears. Today playing it after work, I for some odd reason felt drawn into the game to the point of actualy quite liking it. On top of all this I started to watch what the game was doing over all and realised that this might work on the psp if done well. Not only that I could easly get something going quite quickly after all my work on iris.

So whats the details? Well there is not much to state still since things are in the planning stage but you all know how I work. Things will probably start rolling at an alarming rate & smack us in the face when we did not exspect it. So far my main goal is to esentualy make A 3d Beat-em Up Iris / 3d Beats of Rage. I want to make the game easly modifyable from enemys, characters, objs, placements, ai patterns, textures & level geometry. Not to mention making it look pretty on the psp .

That is all for now. More details to come once I have a working concept prototype up and running.

For a nice video of what is going on in my mind. See this nicely captured video of demolish fist in action.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=Demolish+Fist

Post your comments on his original thread here. (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25097)
Check out PSmonkeys DCemu site at http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/ .

Video_freak
May 19th, 2006, 15:51
i think its great that PSmonkey is developing other games. being an n64 fan, i'm a little sad about the n64 emu break :( (although PSmonkey deserves it 110%). we must not forget that coders have lives too!

Mr. Shizzy
May 19th, 2006, 16:10
cool...just plz don't give up on the N64. I don't blame you for wanting a break.

***note to all disrespectful jerks: are you happy now?

LazerTag
May 19th, 2006, 16:16
That a bit of a bummer to hear. I've always wondered, Why let those things bother you? I admit I don't understand the scope in full of the situation PSMonkey was facing there, but really isn't it just e-mail mainly? Treat it like SPAM, hehe.

Anyway PSMonkey, do as you need of course and good luck on all your projects. Many of us are behind you.

Addictedd
May 19th, 2006, 16:28
im not flaming, but why stop projects to create others? Its just a vicious circle, you'll keep stopping and creating new projects leaving the needed ones unfinished

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2006, 16:44
im not flaming, but why stop projects to create others? Its just a vicious circle, you'll keep stopping and creating new projects leaving the needed ones unfinished

Because he feels like it. good enough for me.

aries2k4
May 19th, 2006, 17:31
It´s good to hear you´ve got other projects. I just hope you don´t let idiot flamers discourage you from working on n64. whatever you work on you´ll have my support and I´m sure many, many others.

aleborri
May 19th, 2006, 17:56
Please keep on working on Monkey64 when you feel like it :D

ENG
May 19th, 2006, 18:24
:D Can't wait for iris.......
Thanks so much for all of your coding, and that fighting game sounds great

PSmonkey
May 19th, 2006, 18:26

Well long before the release & flames. I was already originaly planning to take a break but I was going to put that off till I made m64 a little more easier to use. Yet with things being busy and hecktec & the fact I promissed Iris updates made me realise that it might be well worth it. I'm drained and the break will give me a chance to get iris up to date and regroup so I can tackel m64 better.

It's definantly not a stop or a quit. It's just a pause.

xXSujoXx
May 19th, 2006, 19:47
Yess!!! I Can Mod Iris But Alot Easier. Love U Psmonkey!

bah
May 19th, 2006, 19:58
Whatever the man wants to work on will end up being a very good thing in my opinion.

Iris has amazing promise for allowing others to make quality 3d games for the psp with a ready-built engine. It seems more people may want N64 on psp more, but to me (having a 64 hooked up to my tv anyway) Iris is much more exciting.

Just my 2c, thankyou for all your time and effort monkey.

SchmuckofNI
May 19th, 2006, 20:16
Another Leonardo Da Vinci. A break well deserved.

V3N0M
May 19th, 2006, 20:32
Thank you for all your hard work. I completely understand if you want a break. BTW to everyone else- if he is feeling refreshed when he does M64, it will be done better because he wont be exausted and that only means a better M64 all we need is patients.

Sir Fritz
May 19th, 2006, 21:16
if there is any1 who deserves a break, it's psmonkey;)

and thanx for giving us something new to look forward 2:cool:

Cloud_35
May 19th, 2006, 21:28
You're right!!!, the avdances on Monkey64 are amazing, and the break is well deserved.

But I'm still waiting for the emultor...

Nasty Nate
May 19th, 2006, 22:14
i think we all cant wait, good choice monkey, i would've done the same:)

pkmusicmaker
May 19th, 2006, 23:32
As long as a few weeks doesnt turn into most of 2006, I'm happy, take it easy.

pkmaximum
May 19th, 2006, 23:39
Man PSmonkey your awsome most people just take breaks by not coding but your still coding games wich makes things a lot better. I hope to see great work on IRIS in the future and good luck.

RedKing14CA
May 20th, 2006, 04:18
Right on PSMonkey, take a break!!!

Mr. Shizzy
May 20th, 2006, 06:16
As exciting as m64 will be - I'm just as excited about IRIS. Monkey thanks for everthing you've done. And thanks for everything your working on. Your hard work is very much appreciated.

nugatron
May 20th, 2006, 06:45
THe new project sounds like it could be pretty cool... maybe you could have it somewhat like Super Smash Bros, where instead of jsut a little area to fight you could make larger levels with platforms, obstacles, etc. Obviously this would make it much harder but its just an idea.