PDA

View Full Version : Flash games by Shallan

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2006, 20:34
Shallan joined our forums to lets us know that he has set up some cool flash games for our 2.7 users at his site. (www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/)

Site can be accessed at www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/ just browse through to the game section and it can be found there. Instructions are displayed as the data loads. For best results use the PSP although it will run in a browser too (but no typing in ).

One of these games is a rather well made cross word game called Xword.
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3120/sshot14vj.jpg

Play Xword and 2 other interesting flash games on your 2.7 psp's at Shallan's site. (www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/). Thanks Shallan!

Post your comments in the thread linked below.
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25118

shadowprophet
May 19th, 2006, 20:43
2000 posts
plus another 500 plus:cool:

Thats Dcemu legend
And Dcemu pro,
That must mean your a dcemu pro legend :p

Rock on:p I am not worthy lol :p

xXSujoXx
May 19th, 2006, 20:56
Lol

Shallan
May 19th, 2006, 21:02
Update : Just tweaked a few things with the crossword...gave it a random choice of 3 backgrounds everytime it generates a crossword... Addedd a check button to check your answers, and fixed the "invisible" clear button bug i noticed.

And a quick peek at some retro games im remaking in flash:

Creatures (c64)
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/1006/creats3wa.jpg

SuperSprint (arcade)
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4509/sprint2tn.jpg

shadowprophet
May 19th, 2006, 21:05
Do hogans ally!
I love that game :D

drew4237
May 19th, 2006, 21:10
o this doesnt make me want to upgrade to 2.7 but it is good for people who are stuck with 2.7

YourStillWithMe
May 19th, 2006, 21:24
Hey if the games for this 2.70 mini-exploit are using .twf files or whatever the extentions were why dont you guys make emulators and such through them too? My guess is that it would not work though due to file sizes, storage for roms, saves, etc. just curious though.

shadowprophet
May 19th, 2006, 21:29
And I dont know a whole lot about flash. But I do know that it is only able to do so much within the limatations of what flash 6 can do.
I would say a real shot at emulation through flash is an impossible dream :(

Shallan
May 19th, 2006, 21:32
The problem is two-fold...

Firstly theres simply not enough memory to hold most emulators + roms. The psp flash player is limited to the browser memory (around 1.5mb)

Secondly the flash included with the psp runs so painfully slow that interpreted roms would run incredibly slow and even a dynamic emulator would still have problems refreshing the screen at playable rates.

This is why I am working to develop a range of retro games specifically tweaked for the psp version of flash. The final outcome will be a set of core game engines for simple 2d games which i may eventually make editors and scripting engines for and release them as SDK tools for people looking to make games for 2.7+

My biggest challenge at the moment is getting a tile scrolling engine built so we can make games like Mario, Sonic or Creatures as shown above. However even a usually easy task such as this runs into complications on such a slow platform. Hopefully Sony will realise this and give us a little more speed/memory like they did with general browsing in the last firmware update.

Cloud_35
May 19th, 2006, 21:33
Heh, some homebrew for the brand-new 2.7

But I say, I'm staying with 1.5 :cool:

shadowprophet
May 19th, 2006, 21:39
Yourstillwithme May be onto somthing.
Would it be possible to exploit the browser through some sort of flash application.
Somthing like an overflow exploit :confused:

Sure it would crash your browser. repeatedly lol
But still as long as we had access to the systems higher functions right:confused:

luis_05
May 19th, 2006, 23:49
sweet finally someone is cracking 2.7!! Sony cannot stop the pirates!!! yay!!

Cap'n 1time
May 20th, 2006, 00:28
you cant do much with flash. it has no read/write access that i know of and there has never been any example of an emulator written in the flash action script.

Shallan
May 20th, 2006, 02:21
Good news!! Got it working offline...It needs installing in a particular way but means now you can play offline, customise backgrounds and edit the wordbank.

Heres the link

The readme:

Shallans XWord for PSP - Offline version - 20/5/06

In order for this to work correctly you must install the xword folder into the PSP folder on your memory
stick. Ie the path to all the files will end up like this:

file://PSP/xword/PSPxword.swf
file://PSP/xword/bground1.jpg
file://PSP/xword/bground2.jpg
file://PSP/xword/bground3.jpg
file://PSP/xword/cw.xml

Then simply enter the following into the psp browser (save it as a bookmark also for quicker access later) to
run the game.

file://PSP/xword/PSPxword.swf

The 3 jpeg files included are the background images and can be replaced with any image you please...Keep them to 480x272 resolution so they fit the psp screen. A random one of those three is loaded when the crossword is being generated, you could force it to use the same picture by saving the same picture as all three.

This release brings the ability to add/edit your own crossword clues and hopefully this will spur people to make, share and maybe even combine clue files so we can get a massive database of clues. The file responsible for this is cw.xml and is really very simple to edit, simply open it using wordpad or notepad on PC or your favorite text editor on any other OS and edit/add clues in the following format:

<Puzzle Question="Insert crossword question here" Answer="insert answer here">

Do not insert clues before or after the <Xword> tags at the beginning and end of the file.

Thats it...Hope you enjoy this release more stuff to come soon. Find out more at http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/

Thanks and Enjoy...Over and out!
Shallan

If people want to amend the xml file and share their versions that would be cool, could be nice to see a huge combined wordbank.

Cooe14
May 20th, 2006, 02:26
Shallan since you seem to be the flash expert here could you tell me if it will ever be possible to get flash running on the links2 psp port?

Shallan
May 20th, 2006, 02:35
Well theres a homebrew flashplayer out there somewhere, it is perfectly feasible that it could be combined with the Links2 browser. However this is something thats down to the creator of Links2-PSP to decide wether or not to do.

Hope that answers your question :)

wraggster
May 20th, 2006, 02:49
Hi Shallan, ive gave u PSP Coder rank so you can now post new threads in this forum and promote your games etc via the PSP News Site http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk

at last those on v2.7 can play some games ;)

gunntims0103
May 20th, 2006, 03:31
showin da luv to da lost souls of fireware 2.7

Shallan
May 20th, 2006, 11:50
thanks wraggster :)

Cap'n 1time
May 20th, 2006, 14:48
thanks wraggster :)

since you seem to be.. well.. so damn skilled at flash :) I had a request.
PUZZLE BOBBLE! :) :D

YourStillWithMe
May 20th, 2006, 22:22
Good call 1timeuser, that game owns. I definitely think that 2.70 is going to be crackable. There HAS TO BE an exploit. Just thik for a sec remember how we saw GTA and that 2.00 update and were like omg no more fake update hack etc etc? Were plretty close to bypassing that crode and playing most games on 1.50 and no one thought 2.60 would be cracked (even though its not smooth at all in my opinion) I guarantee you all that if Shallan got an app to run without the browser online we can get SOMETHING going. I won't update one my psp's until some pretty smooth cracks are made though. With that aside though i'm sure we can do something here.

gunntims0103
May 20th, 2006, 22:54
Good call 1timeuser, that game owns. I definitely think that 2.70 is going to be crackable. There HAS TO BE an exploit. Just thik for a sec remember how we saw GTA and that 2.00 update and were like omg no more fake update hack etc etc? Were plretty close to bypassing that crode and playing most games on 1.50 and no one thought 2.60 would be cracked (even though its not smooth at all in my opinion) I guarantee you all that if Shallan got an app to run without the browser online we can get SOMETHING going. I won't update one my psp's until some pretty smooth cracks are made though. With that aside though i'm sure we can do something here.

yeay if anyone found sum sort of exploit 4 2.7 that ran well i would update in a heart beat.........shallan if you made a alien hominid flash game for 2.7 that make me update alone :D

shadowprophet
May 20th, 2006, 23:17
yeay if anyone found sum sort of exploit 4 2.7 that ran well i would update in a heart beat.........shallan if you made a alien hominid flash game for 2.7 that make me update alone :D Even if 2.7 was exploited. It wouldnt have kernal mode. Which as you may or may not know, is the reason some homebrew runs better on 1.0 and 1.5 psps as compared to 2.0+ psps. even if 2.7 was as fully exploited as the 2.0+
I would still stay 1.50
. Nvm just read your sig. your 2.6 anyway :( Bummer

gunntims0103
May 20th, 2006, 23:35
Even if 2.7 was exploited. It wouldnt have kernal mode. Which as you may or may not know, is the reason some homebrew runs better on 1.0 and 1.5 psps as compared to 2.0+ psps. even if 2.7 was as fully exploited as the 2.0+
I would still stay 1.50
. Nvm just read your sig. your 2.6 anyway :( Bummer

yea best believe if i still had ma 1.5 psp i would never upgrade it i would just upgrade ma 2.6........i sold ma 1.5 psp for 300$ cause the kid wanted to run homebrew so badly and since i new i could fall bac on the e-loader i did it i am now a 2.6 user:( cant change that but most of the games i play run perfectally on 2.6 so it hasnt been all that bad:o
with the money i was gonna buy another 1.5 off sum one but i ended up using it towards a xbox 360

YourStillWithMe
May 21st, 2006, 03:21
My brothers friend sold his X360 for a ps2 haha such a good idea X360's upcomming releases dont even sound good. I thought madden ran like a typical everyday madden but slower and fight night had excellent visuals but was just tooo slow. In my opinon that system is trash.

Anyway though-Yeah Shadowprophet I know we'd miss out on Kernel mode and stuff but the ability to have NES, SNES, Gameboy/Gameboy Color, Atari 2600, and the x-y-dictionary would probably be enough for me.

Does anyone on here have 2 psp's, a 1.50 and a firmware higher than 2.00 on there other psp? Which do you use more??? The thing that must be cool about not worrying about all the update drama and worrying abut losing homebrew is you can look forward to the updates and just not care anymore. haha

gunntims0103
May 21st, 2006, 03:51
My brothers friend sold his X360 for a ps2 haha such a good idea X360's upcomming releases dont even sound good. I thought madden ran like a typical everyday madden but slower and fight night had excellent visuals but was just tooo slow. In my opinon that system is trash.

Anyway though-Yeah Shadowprophet I know we'd miss out on Kernel mode and stuff but the ability to have NES, SNES, Gameboy/Gameboy Color, Atari 2600, and the x-y-dictionary would probably be enough for me.

Does anyone on here have 2 psp's, a 1.50 and a firmware higher than 2.00 on there other psp? Which do you use more??? The thing that must be cool about not worrying about all the update drama and worrying abut losing homebrew is you can look forward to the updates and just not care anymore. haha

yeay wen i had both psp's i didnt have a care in da world cause i could use one for updates and the other for homebrew........im sorry for sayin this not to feel lik a downer or anything but dont anyone feel that sooner or later the psp fireware 1.5 will become obsolete cause with the push of new game that damand updates and the new features that sony's puttin in there updates dont you think that 1.5 will just die out and ppl will just start updating ...........i think that if this does happen ppl lik shallan who code for the fireware 2.7 will become the new era homebrew and we can see game lik mario and sonic running through 2.7 wat ya think

hi_mahou
May 25th, 2006, 23:12
And a quick peek at some retro games im remaking in flash:

SuperSprint (arcade)
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/4509/sprint2tn.jpg

Any chance of you putting a taster of the supersprint up, reminds me of a game i used to love on the atari xe

Shallan
May 26th, 2006, 16:48
I have lots of time this wek to spend doing psp stuff as I got the week off, Supersprint will be done at the same time as other projects as the framerate tricks im using and figuring out for current stuff will help make Supersprint work well. It looks like a simple game but with all that rotational maths going on and some AI it can really chug, Its getting there however and soon as I have a decent framerate and fully functional track expect a demo.

Creatures is coming along very nicely and most of the core engine is in place and running fairly smooth, further optimisations will continue to follow and now I have dynamic content loading sorted the levels will grow fast, the full game will definetely safely exceed the 2mb flash size limit :)
Check out the latest build here (http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/games.htm)

mr_nick666
May 26th, 2006, 18:44
This stuff looks sooo cool! :D
Great work Shallan :) Im sticking to my 1.5 still I just hope someone makes a usable Flash player - Super Sprint rocks and did I hear someone mention Bubble Bobble!? :eek: I wanna be able to play this stuff!!! :o

hi_mahou
May 27th, 2006, 00:25
I have lots of time this wek to spend doing psp stuff as I got the week off, Supersprint will be done at the same time as other projects as the framerate tricks im using and figuring out for current stuff will help make Supersprint work well. It looks like a simple game but with all that rotational maths going on and some AI it can really chug, Its getting there however and soon as I have a decent framerate and fully functional track expect a demo.

Creatures is coming along very nicely and most of the core engine is in place and running fairly smooth, further optimisations will continue to follow and now I have dynamic content loading sorted the levels will grow fast, the full game will definetely safely exceed the 2mb flash size limit :)
Check out the latest build here (http://www12.asphost4free.com/games.htm)

The URL didn't work but i've been checking the build onm your site often. At i can understand how the maths going on behind willl make it hard to do. And the fact that there is gonna be decent worked ai is great.

Also love the fact that You got the scrolling running so well in creatures, asnd the fact you found a way to exceed the memory limit is great.

My dream is to see something like 'Ultimate Flash Sonic' running smoothly with compatible controls.

For those who haven't come across it here is a link (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/151706)

it works now but is too slow and the buttons arent compatible. that can be fixed by turning spae to left click, and maybe putting pause on cursor movement.

Anyway great work looking forward to more, since i've found you site haven'ty regretted upgrading once.

Shallan
May 27th, 2006, 00:33
Hehehe dumb me, updated link now...

I will be releasing a breakout game tomorrow also if i can tidy it up some, I wrote it as a test of fast collision but its really quite playable. Just putting some powerups into it and wrote a tune for it then I can post it and crack on with Creatures. Hoping to get at least 1 torture screen into the build soon (damn I loved those screens).

hi_mahou
May 27th, 2006, 18:52
thanks shallan, great game for a quick pick up and play session.

if you ever feel like doing more on it, maybe use of arror keys of user set ball speed

all in all great work

Auron
July 2nd, 2006, 19:33
^^