PDA

View Full Version : Sold Wii in danger of being bricked?

RockyRan
October 4th, 2009, 01:31
Hi all, I have a question.

So I sold my Wii that had Homebrew installed on it since April '08. I pretty much only used it to play SNES ROMs on it, and I didn't install any WAD loaders, the DVD reader or anything like that. I didn't install BootMii either.

When I sold the Wii I deleted the channel and reformatted the Wii's memory completely. I DIDN'T use Any Title Deleter to remove the title ID used by the Homebrew Channel but I didn't think that was going to be an issue.

The Wii is still in transit to its new owner in Chicago, but while it was in transit the latest update went live and I'm hearing about people's Wiis being bricked and I'm getting a little nervous now. Given that my HBC activities were pretty non-invasive and that I reformatted the Wii before sending it in, what are the chances of the Wii being bricked whenever the new owner updates the console? Thanks in advance for any answers/

BlueCrab
October 4th, 2009, 02:51
The update doesn't intentionally brick homebrew-enabled Wiis or anything of the sort. There's a bug in Nintendo's update code for boot2 which quite often doesn't write the ECC data when it updates boot2.

There's no more or less of a chance for it to be bricked if/when its updated. Plus, since you formatted it there shouldn't be any record of the HBC being there anyway (I'm reasonably sure that the format removes all traces of everything pretty much).