PDA

View Full Version : PSP News & Lik Sang Lua Comp Entry #3 PSP Game Builder

wraggster
May 20th, 2006, 02:22
PSP News and Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/default.php?lsaid=219793) are proud to host a mini comp aimed just at coders who Code in LUA. Here are the entries one by one.

Heres Entry #3

PSP Game Builder by XteticX

Hi everyone.

This is my entry for the 15 day lua coding competition. As the name suggests, this program is used to build games. I obviously didn't have time to finish everything as this is one huge project imo. I've accually went ahead and stripped lots of stuff out that I felt was too buggy. The main tool availeble right now is the map engine. You can create/load/pack/install/test play any map you make. Most documentation is included inside the programs itself. I've added what seemed to me like enought help files so everyone should get a hang of this easily enought.

In case you dont bother reading hte readme, I own a 1.5 psp. I was able to get this to boot successfully on a 2.0 but that was a while back, and the code as been completly rewrote for the compo. The only parts that WHERE reused where optimized to no end, but the project as expanded a lot since then too. The main problem on 2.0+ is less memory to work with, and I've maxed the memory often even on 1.5. Chances this will work on 2.0+ later on are slim to none.

So I hope you guys like it even if its imcomplete atm. I have so much ideas and work to do I dont know where to start lol. But I'll go ahead and take a couples day break, 15 day coding is long.

Download (Lots of Screenshots) and Give Feedback Via Comments

gunntims0103
May 20th, 2006, 02:54
wait so this is to make your own lua games not to sound like a noob

gunntims0103
May 20th, 2006, 03:06
can u put your own sprites and then mess with them in this program

XteticX
May 20th, 2006, 03:30
Yes, the idea is to make games. Kinda like RPG Maker I guess (altho I never used it). Its still a WIP so you can only build maps and test walk them for now. I've played with event mapping and simple AIs so I know where I'm going. Its jsut gonna take awhiel to pull everyhting together. And sure, go ahead and modify whatever image you want. I'm adding custom tilesets support for the next release (maybe custom sprite too). The whole engine is going to be built on customizing.

Mr. Shizzy
May 20th, 2006, 05:24
SWEET! I've been waiting for something like this.
Thank You. I look foward to updates.

sroon
May 20th, 2006, 06:59
This is one of the greatest things ever!!!!
YOU GUYS ROCK!!

Paiku
May 20th, 2006, 09:56
Awsome, I've been using rm2k3 for years. But making rpg's on the psp would truly be fantastic!

gov1
May 20th, 2006, 09:57
:*) you've made me soo happy
ty, keep up the good work *round of applause*

gunntims0103
May 20th, 2006, 16:13
Yes, the idea is to make games. Kinda like RPG Maker I guess (altho I never used it). Its still a WIP so you can only build maps and test walk them for now. I've played with event mapping and simple AIs so I know where I'm going. Its jsut gonna take awhiel to pull everyhting together. And sure, go ahead and modify whatever image you want. I'm adding custom tilesets support for the next release (maybe custom sprite too). The whole engine is going to be built on customizing.

thanks once i fully understand this program its gonna be a beutyful thing cant wait 4 the next update keep us posted thanx again

Andraik
May 20th, 2006, 17:52
Awesome!!!

mr_nick666
May 20th, 2006, 20:13
This look like a wicked app :) Cant wait for an update! :rolleyes: Great work! :D

XteticX
May 20th, 2006, 23:36
Nice to see people like this. I'm just waiting till my body eliminates all that coffee from my veins and I'm back to work. :P

xXSujoXx
May 21st, 2006, 00:11
Dude this game is defennetly gonna win. mind if i take some other codes and make the menus and ingame a bit better?

xXSujoXx
May 21st, 2006, 00:12
X can we work as a team?

gunntims0103
May 21st, 2006, 00:23
Nice to see people like this. I'm just waiting till my body eliminates all that coffee from my veins and I'm back to work. :P

ill be waitin all i want is to be able to upload ma sprites in this and to finally be able to make ma own game...........next update il be waitin:D

XteticX
May 21st, 2006, 01:31
xXSujoXx, I'm not really interested in working with anyone sorry. I have a pretty good idea how I want the program to look and act like, but please take some time to drop by on IRC to chat a little bit. I'm always open to listend to suggestions. I'm not sure what you mean by in-game menus since there are absolutly none atm lol. But anyway, drop by when you have time, if I'm not sleeping I'm there. ^_^

server: irc.vgirc.com
chan: #psplua

Thanks everybody for the support, really appreciated. :)

xXSujoXx
May 21st, 2006, 17:47

Mr. Shizzy
May 24th, 2006, 00:04
This has got my vote as the coolest homebrew ever!!!

XteticX
May 24th, 2006, 00:46
Cool, people are still trying it lol. Personnaly, I think v1 isn't all that great, too much still missing. I've gotten slowly back to work yesterday night and got some simple stuff in. Next version will be way better beleive me.

I didn't want to bump this thread but since someone else did, I'de like to take the time to ask for some help. If there's any chance that some gfx artist out there are bored or have nothing to do, I'de would greatly appreciate any help. Maybe a custom tileset or 2 and an official logo. Nothing huge really, just for some testing. If anybody is interrested please give me a PM or reply in this thread.

Thanks again. :)

Mr. Shizzy
May 25th, 2006, 14:27
XteticX- hows this one coming?
I could design a logo. I'm no gfx artist. But I can draw a little. If you still need help pm me with your email and Ill send it to you. As far as the tile set goes I wouldn't know how...
I would love to see an update for this.
Keep us posted

jman420
July 3rd, 2006, 07:09
ya know, it would be interesting if someone updated this.

little man
October 8th, 2006, 05:16
I cant seem to run this every time i load it it freezes on the start up?

mr_nick666
October 8th, 2006, 19:53
SWEET! I've been waiting for something like this.
Thank You. I look foward to updates.

If this was updated (ARE YOU OUT THERE!? :confused: ) more and more homebrew will be made! :p The easier it is the more people will do it :D Please update it! :)

maxipower90
July 1st, 2007, 03:09
yes this is what i always wanted on PSP a game maker, okay hopefully this will be updated.

if only some ported metroid SMILE program to the PSP then i would accutaly wet myself