PDA

View Full Version : PSP News & Lik Sang Lua Comp Entry #9 Math Facts v 1.0

wraggster
May 20th, 2006, 10:47
PSP News and Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/default.php?lsaid=219793) are proud to host a mini comp aimed just at coders who Code in LUA. Here are the entries one by one.

Heres Entry #9

Math Facts v 1.0 by Mathfacts

The PSP is a wonderful device and the games rather entertaining, but I could not find anything that was primarily focused on education, specifically math. To fill that void, I created this little LUA program so my son could practice his math on the way to school. Math for kids isn't the most exciting thing, so I added some game attributes to try and hold his attention. I also didn't want to have to watch what he did, so I added a "review" page to see how well he did. Anyway, I saw your contest and it inspired me to finish it up and share it with my fellow PSP’ers.

This is my first LUA program and I didn't want to have my son need to load LUA so I found an existing eboot then made my own eboot(%) that contains the Math Facts graphics. In any case, it seems to work fine.

Thanks and keep up the fine site.
Rob

(This has only been tested on a 1.5 PSP.)

Features:
- Presents the user with simple math problems that include +,-,*,/
- Multiple sound effects for correct and incorrect answers
- Can choose between two fonts
- Timer keeps track of the amount of time to answer
- Score varies dependent on the time to answer
- Different hi scores saved dependent on # of problems selected
- Average time to answer displayed at the end (Speed drills!)
- Grade displayed at end (a=90%-100%, b=80%-89%, etc...)
- Some Customizable Options (Through LUA)

Install:

Expand the v1.5 folders into your psp\game directory
(There are tools you can use to remove the annoying corrupted folder)

Usage:

From the Math Facts main screen:
D-Pad: move between the type and number of problems
X key: add or remove problem types (Defaults to all types)
X key: select the # of problems (Defaults to 10)
O key: Change the font type
Triangle Key: Start/Stop music
Start: Starts the game

From the math problem screen:

D-pad: press left/right to select ones, tens, hundreds values
D-Pad: press up/down to cycle numbers from 0 to 9
X key: Enter/Check the answer
Triangle Key: Start/Stop music
Square key: Ends the current game
Start: Play again

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

NeonLightning
May 22nd, 2006, 23:28
looks quite good and i've been reading in alot of the programming forums around(even in the yabasic one lol) that alot of people are looking for stuff like this for psp

tangledmanes
October 21st, 2008, 21:34
I joined this forum to find out more about Math Facts. I am thinking about buying a PSP for my daughter. The deciding factor will be whether I can find educational games for it. I am specifically looking for arithmetic drills, and this is the first one I've found.

Can you explain how to put this program on it? (Or direct me to instructions.) Would I need to buy an older PSP or will it work on the PSP 3000? :confused: