PDA

View Full Version : Halo Beaver Creek Alpha Mod for Iris

BrooksyX
May 22nd, 2006, 00:04
Alright Here is my first Map: Beaver Creek.

Please post any bugs or suggestions.

credit goes to:
Psmonkey for making iris
Produkt and Sniper for their mapping tutorials
1337pspm0dd3r for making Halo Textures

Zeemon
May 22nd, 2006, 00:10
Not bad for an Alpha.

Try making it a bit less cramped(mainly in the buildings), and try 'roughing up' the cliff.

How long did this take you?

BrooksyX
May 22nd, 2006, 00:12
Took me maybe 6 hours, but i restarted after about 1.5 hours because it was really cramped.
Yeah so i will work on the spacing.

Zeemon
May 22nd, 2006, 00:23
Nice... Are you thinking of 'joining' 1337?

BrooksyX
May 22nd, 2006, 00:26
I dont know, I never really talked to him before. I would look into it though at least for the summer.

coo
May 22nd, 2006, 01:13
looks nice! i just tried it,

is there any way to get to the top of the building?

Cooe14
May 22nd, 2006, 01:23
congrats its really good. nice job :)

nugatron
May 22nd, 2006, 01:38
Really cool map has a lot of potential :) ... the only thing that bothered me was the sky... it was too boxy but other than that great map

Buddy4point0
May 22nd, 2006, 02:08
nice but the buildings r way cramped also it would be cool if you made i more the the real map for example put that thing in the middle and you could put thouse hole things you use the ladder to get to but put the steepest slope posible cause you can go up any slope yea if it was more like the real thing it would be cooler but its nice

Shilo
May 22nd, 2006, 02:12
:eek: great map!!!!!!!

nugatron
May 22nd, 2006, 02:13

Yeah to get top the top of the building hold select and press up... its a debug thing psmonkey put in to test it but if you really want to go up there:D

dtothabreezy
May 22nd, 2006, 02:51
wow great design looks almost just like it:)

Produkt
May 22nd, 2006, 03:21
Hey I told the kid what you did and he said He'ed like to talk to you on aim if you want to join him.

Grecoroman14
May 22nd, 2006, 03:59
Nice work bigmace. im workin on a map from halo 2 which is midship. good luck and keep up the good work

BrooksyX
May 22nd, 2006, 04:15
Yeah ill try to make the stuff more spread out by the next release and ill add some stuff like rocks and that thing in the middle. When Psmonkey fixes the clipping issues ill fix the sky becasue i had a sky texture but it was flipping out.
Hopefully i can have a beta out by next weekend.

Oh and produkt if you want to pm me that kids aim sn that would be great. I also would like to talk to you on msn some time so i can understand how to do some more of the advanced features.

Oh and I will try to have a website up by my next release to.

BrooksyX
May 22nd, 2006, 04:19
fakenotreallie, this is based of a beaver creek where there is a ramp (from halo 2). You are thinking of battle creek from halo 1 where there is a latter not a ramp.

PSmonkey
May 22nd, 2006, 05:23
awsome map dude.

It's awsome things like this that make me glad I finaly posted an alpha build. I hope I can improve Iris even further to make your maps more kick ass. :D

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2006, 08:29
looks nice. its obviously bland at the moment but i think you got the main features of the real battle/beaver creek.

ENG
May 22nd, 2006, 14:17
This map looks good keep up the good work :)

-{PhoeniX}-
May 22nd, 2006, 18:31
nice job. only an alpha and seems great. like you you said though, needs a little more space in places. keep it up though!

lildude9232
May 22nd, 2006, 19:42
nice map its got potential

BrooksyX
May 22nd, 2006, 20:25
thanks for the input guys.

If I have time after school today I might post a small update. I have made the inside of the buildings bigger but I want to make the cliffs better and add that thing in the middle before the next release. Maybe some rocks too, but i still need to learn how to do stuff like this.

webboy
May 22nd, 2006, 20:31
lol podukt, and more tutorial would be great thanked. anyhting on curved surfaces or rocks maybe??

btw bigmace love the maps, only problem is cliif is too plain and so is water, and the sky. but thats simply stuff to edit. good work

RedKing14CA
May 22nd, 2006, 22:01
All we need is for the developers to focus more on gameplay and we'll have a frikkan AWSOME game!!!

GeEkPiE
May 22nd, 2006, 22:15

Ya iv done it!!!!

go to the back of one of the biuldings and jump on to the door way ledge and keep trying to jump on to the next and eventually you will get it right and you will make it.

BrooksyX
May 22nd, 2006, 22:39
sorry about getting on top, ill place some rocks on the side like on the real version.

Cooe14
May 22nd, 2006, 22:43
Dude you're doing a fantastic job with this map.

infernomax
May 23rd, 2006, 02:34
Awesome map man, i cant wait to play against you guys once iris goes online :P

PSPtwister
May 23rd, 2006, 02:36
awesome,i love halo and this is great,wizard woulud be a great map also,but way more complicated and would take more time in doing so,and what are you using to make these? and what tutorial? because ur doing a fantastic job and dont forget that

gunntims0103
May 23rd, 2006, 03:24
wondering in this modding thing can you mod the skins of your players like create a player mod to make your character look like master chief or somthin

BrooksyX
May 23rd, 2006, 04:07
wondering in this modding thing can you mod the skins of your players like create a player mod to make your character look like master chief or somthin

yeah there is a guy who is making a mod with master chief and blood gulch. There is an alpha release somewhere around here.

gunntims0103
May 23rd, 2006, 04:26
yeah there is a guy who is making a mod with master chief and blood gulch. There is an alpha release somewhere around here.

good to know all the iris mods are scattered around the site were can i find them all........how many are out now:confused:

BrooksyX
May 23rd, 2006, 04:36
just find a post by produkt and click on his signature there should be a link that says something about iris files and you should find it there

V3N0M
May 23rd, 2006, 04:57
Intresting...

PSmonkey
May 23rd, 2006, 16:28
Hey had a quick check of the map. Few sudgestions

1) Flag your sky for skybox/sky tag. This will allow my engine to detect it and not render the surface (there is a skybox rendering behind the map.

2) Map could use some more deformation (i'm still trying to fix patch surfaces for making ridged or curved geometry).

Thats about it. Looks nice, sorry about the clipping issues (still trying to find the bugs).

DPyro
May 23rd, 2006, 19:06
Ok I finally got around to testing it...A few tips:
1) Make sure theres no leaks (the sky isnt fully closed)
Also note, have all the textures even with each other and no overlapping.
2) For water, use a water texture (textures\liquids)
3) For now, iris doesnt support doors opening so theres no point in having a door in the back of the building

PSmonkey
May 23rd, 2006, 20:12
Ok I finally got around to testing it...A few tips:
1) Make sure theres no leaks (the sky isnt fully closed)
Also note, have all the textures even with each other and no overlapping.
2) For water, use a water texture (textures\liquids)
3) For now, iris doesnt support doors opening so theres no point in having a door in the back of the building

3) Are they doors? I though they were attempting portals (since he would have gone though doors).

Also yeah I forgot. If the debug output states "There is No VIS" it means your map has a leak. Vis or Visabiltiy System helps optimise rendering speed by letting it know what parts can be scene at each location. This helps cull alot of geometry that is not visable.

BrooksyX
May 23rd, 2006, 20:23
Hey had a quick check of the map. Few sudgestions

1) Flag your sky for skybox/sky tag. This will allow my engine to detect it and not render the surface (there is a skybox rendering behind the map.

2) Map could use some more deformation (i'm still trying to fix patch surfaces for making ridged or curved geometry).

Thats about it. Looks nice, sorry about the clipping issues (still trying to find the bugs).

1)Going to have to learn how to do that.

2)Already Taken care of the flatness of the map. I should have update up by tonight or tommorow. There is just a few things I want to add before i do.

Sniper: The purpose of the door is for the teleport from one side to the other. By the way Psmonkey, do you think you will support teleporting?

BrooksyX
May 23rd, 2006, 20:26
Also yeah I forgot. If the debug output states "There is No VIS" it means your map has a leak. Vis or Visabiltiy System helps optimise rendering speed by letting it know what parts can be scene at each location. This helps cull alot of geometry that is not visable.

Yeah I was going to ask you what that meant. Ill try to fix that too.

PSmonkey
May 23rd, 2006, 21:27
Sniper: The purpose of the door is for the teleport from one side to the other. By the way Psmonkey, do you think you will support teleporting?

Maybe, It would be nice but not sure when I will add them. It might be restricted to a more old style q1 teleport (there be an image inside it) vs q3/4 style (seeing a window into where you would come out at).

coo
May 24th, 2006, 01:43
Maybe, It would be nice but not sure when I will add them. It might be restricted to a more old style q1 teleport (there be an image inside it) vs q3/4 style (seeing a window into where you would come out at).

could you use an animated gif image for the old style q1 teleport?

if so, you could get a halo teleporter animated gif and put that in

Produkt
May 24th, 2006, 02:12
its not a gif

in games they are usualy textures labled to be frames...

gifs are for websites

V3N0M
May 24th, 2006, 05:09
Where can i get a the map maker? If its not to much trouble.

Shilo
May 24th, 2006, 05:20
Where can i get a the map maker? If its not to much trouble.

You can find all the links on this page :D http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22158

V3N0M
May 24th, 2006, 05:33
Thanx if you need any help well just read my banner lol. Its my way of giving back to the community from all that i've learned here or on my own.

V3N0M
May 24th, 2006, 05:35
Oh does anyone know if that kid has come out with that Halo mod yet? The Beta version

Cooe14
May 24th, 2006, 22:02
Oh does anyone know if that kid has come out with that Halo mod yet? The Beta version
Only for people who signed up to be beta testers.

BrooksyX
May 24th, 2006, 22:15
i dont think the beta is going to be done for awhile anyways, at least thats what he told me yesterday.

BrooksyX
May 25th, 2006, 00:29
thought you guys might like some screens.

It might be a while though before i release an update because I am having issues with my visability list (there is a leak somewhere I think). I am also waiting on new textures.

V3N0M
May 25th, 2006, 00:32
You are doing a great job. I think i'm going to start making some maps. Oh hey, Bigmace Do you think its possible to make Coagulation map from Halo 2?

BrooksyX
May 25th, 2006, 00:36
which one is that again?

V3N0M
May 25th, 2006, 00:39
Only the best one, I'll post a picture of it BRB.

coo
May 25th, 2006, 00:40
its the halo 2 version of blood gulch i think

http://www.bloodgulch.net/maps/halo2/coagulation.jpg

V3N0M
May 25th, 2006, 00:43
Ya thats it!

BrooksyX
May 25th, 2006, 00:44
yeah i guess you could make it, but it is already being made by the guy who made the halo mod.

coo
May 25th, 2006, 00:44
there was a map like that in the alpha

JmanUmmKay, do you want the whole map?

coo
May 25th, 2006, 00:45
or something like the beta of the halo mod?

BrooksyX
May 25th, 2006, 00:46
yeah it was in the alpha, but the next release should have a full version.

V3N0M
May 25th, 2006, 00:58
Thats great where can i get it? Oh and all we need is that guy who made the Cheif player to make a few more like Covenant and the Marines and PSmonkey to update iris to make it so we can go in first person and drive Vehicles aloung with some great maps and Iris will be great. Bigmace is he (PSmonkey) Thinking about doing this?

V3N0M
May 25th, 2006, 01:05
Oh ya, Bigmace when are you going to release your Beta? Not to rush or anything. Funny how iris is such a great game thet can be molded to suit anyone.

BrooksyX
May 25th, 2006, 01:28
Oh ya, Bigmace when are you going to release your Beta? Not to rush or anything. Funny how iris is such a great game thet can be molded to suit anyone.

I dont know, me and the guy who made the halo mod are thinking about restarting it. do to issue. (it was my first map).

V3N0M
May 25th, 2006, 01:48
Well where can i get the other map?

coo
May 25th, 2006, 23:54
i don't think it's released yet, but it should come out soon

Cooe14
May 26th, 2006, 04:17
You mean the blood gulch that came with the Halo Mod? The link is in the Halo Iris mod thread.

V3N0M
May 26th, 2006, 09:30
You mean the master cheif charcter mod?

coo
May 26th, 2006, 11:53
in the origional halo mod alpha, there was a blood gulch type map and a master chirf skin

Gray Fox
May 26th, 2006, 12:47
The map from the alpha halo mod dont work anyway... Can only b played for half a minute be4 the game freezez...:(

ENG
May 26th, 2006, 15:28
Sometimes it freezes for me to, why ?

Shilo
May 26th, 2006, 22:38
Are you playing with bots? Or by yourself? PSmonkey said there is a problem, and if you turn off bots, it doesn't freeze.

coo
May 27th, 2006, 20:45
when will the updated beaver creak map be released?

BrooksyX
May 27th, 2006, 21:49
just wait, i have decided to team up with guy who made the halo mod and we are working on a brand new one right now thats 10X better. But if it takes to long ill release what i had.

coo
May 27th, 2006, 22:15
ok, thanks for the update!

webboy
May 28th, 2006, 10:12
big mace, you should hint the idea to 1337pspm0dder about a iris mod dev team. it would mean maps are made faster and views shared easier. anyways if you wanted a beta tester for the realese im here if you want it.

coo
May 28th, 2006, 13:38
yeah i would beta test too
i have psp firmware 1.5

BrooksyX
May 28th, 2006, 16:43
big mace, you should hint the idea to 1337pspm0dder about a iris mod dev team. it would mean maps are made faster and views shared easier. anyways if you wanted a beta tester for the realese im here if you want it.

I think we are good right now, the only thing that we really need is a character modeler because neither of us are any good.

As for the beta, I dont think it would be fair if i just let you guys be one because she already choose some along time ago and they still havnt gotten anything yet. (we are hopin today might be the day though.)

So just hang on a couple days and we should have a public release out. ( I am not making any promises though)

PSPtwister
May 28th, 2006, 17:49
im going to try to make a bloodgulch,but right now im starting on a slide map,there's gonna be six different slides to choose from and some make you trapped and some lead to other tunnels,its gonna be awesome

webboy
May 29th, 2006, 17:30
nice, both sounds good. iris is really starting to shape up, cant wait for the next release, heard theres going to be a load of new things.

vettacossx
May 29th, 2006, 18:06
very cool news im hoping to figure out a lil more on HALO ZERO ive been working on assembling a team for the project and thanks to PSPdemon ive learned a lil more about this goal check out this thread....help is welcome.... this is the descussion on the souce code id love some feed back...

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=125324#post125324

Shadowblind
May 29th, 2006, 19:45
Is there a way you can allow us to put music in the map so we can listen to it while playing halo on iris? Think of it: listening to green day while blowing some guy up with a rocket launcher......awesome....

BrooksyX
May 29th, 2006, 20:00
well at the moment i use irshell, but i am pretty sure monkey wants to add a mp3 player that just loads music out of the music folder.

fishstixluv
June 8th, 2006, 19:05
true dat yo

Buddy4point0
June 15th, 2006, 02:18
so how bout realiseing a beta or final its been quite a while so long im about to go make a version myself and post it

pspbrewer
June 23rd, 2006, 01:45
Thes boards have been real dead were is everbody?

dtothabreezy
June 23rd, 2006, 04:27
read topic title

ALF
June 23rd, 2006, 07:55
I just think a lot of people are just learnin to make there own map, or just "on break" like "dtothabreezy" said:confused: . Im workin on a halo map at the moment, so heres a pic its still really in beta stages:) . Dont want to show too much, so I dont get everyone excited or anthing like that :D. Id make my own texture but im kinda new to that so. If someone could make some textures for my map I would really be thank ful

If u cant figure out what map im makin then your probably a NooB!:p

Oh and sorry BigMace for postin a stuff in your Thread:)

hopefully this map will be out on the 4 of July - 07/04/06

pspbrewer
June 23rd, 2006, 20:46
THats awesome im really looking foward to that map !:D

Gizmo356
June 23rd, 2006, 20:53
nice map

dtothabreezy
June 23rd, 2006, 23:49
looks great were did you get the textures if you can can you make textures for my lockout map im not workin on it now becuz im workin on sumtin else:cool:

ALF
June 24th, 2006, 08:44
looks great were did you get the textures if you can can you make textures for my lockout map im not workin on it now becuz im workin on sumtin else:cool:

Im still learnin on how to make Textures, but ya id really like to help you/others.

Thanx for the excitment :D

RedKing14CA
June 24th, 2006, 09:42
looks cool...

Buddy4point0
June 26th, 2006, 22:20
nevermind i just figured it out (this is an edit) im learning ow to do some really cool things yea cool

ALF
June 27th, 2006, 00:57
Im gonna make my own thread cuss its not right for me to use bigmace's thread for my needs; so well that what it seems like to me.

just look for a thread by ALF and ill answer any of your questions there.

sorry again bigmace. if uve noticed that i have been postin stuff in you server.

Noobtaculus
February 13th, 2007, 20:42
I like it too but ya cramped and some of the textures are plain white (this might just be 4 me ill check again, like the big thing to get to the rocket launcher in the middle of the map,)
But ya great work

Buddy4point0
February 15th, 2007, 07:25
yo alf i dont think iris supports mirrors cause doors dont even work

Buddy4point0
February 15th, 2007, 07:26
im just gonna make my own bever creek map

Buddy4point0
February 16th, 2007, 00:51
hey for some reason none of the textures on beaver creek work for me

myhalo123
June 22nd, 2007, 04:46
Nice!

micking
November 4th, 2007, 13:21
ty

Safari Al
November 4th, 2007, 13:52
well that was a pretty big bump lol.

anyway i tried it and it is really nice :) just a bit cramped

BrooksyX
November 6th, 2007, 23:54
lol glad you liked it. I made this so long ago.

I completly remade but never released due to the fact that there were no longer going to be any iris updates. I would release it now but my comp crashed I didn't back it up. :(

If iris is ever picked up again i would gladly make some sweet maps.