PDA

View Full Version : Sony: PSP/PSPgo Sales Triple at Some Retailers

wraggster
October 8th, 2009, 03:31
The PSPgo launch was not without controversy, but it seems to have reinvigorated the Playstation Portable market.

Last week I checked in with Sony Computer Entertainment of America to ask how the PSPgo was impacting hardware sales and what sort of impact they were seeing on the Playstation Network.

It's had a very positive impact, Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director, Corporate Communications and Social Media for SCEA, told Kotaku today.

The launch of the download-only device has "generated strong consumer interest in the overall PSP platform and the PlayStation Network's digital content offering," he said.

In the three days following the launch of the PSPgo Seybold says that their "top retail partners" saw a 300 percent lift in PSP hardware sales compared to the same period the prior week in the U.S. Seybold says that the launch also generated a "significant increase in revenue for PlayStation Network, driven by a 200 percent lift in PSP game downloads purchased from PlayStation Store" in North America.

Sony declined to give any specific sales numbers for this story.

The platform owner did that they think the growth will continue.

"With several blockbuster games launching digitally and on UMD in the coming weeks — from LittleBigPlanet to Assassin's Creed Bloodlines —," Seybold said, "we expect this momentum to continue and look forward to a strong holiday season for both the PSPgo and PSP-3000."

Seybold's comments echo what officials in the U.K. have said, pointing to a jump in sales the week of release.

http://kotaku.com/5376508/sony-psppspgo-sales-triple-at-some-retailers

Dweezledap
October 8th, 2009, 08:16
I'm starting to think "maybe" Sony was not so stupid. I truly do not think they are planning on the PSPGo being a success but just planned on using it to boost sales of the PSP 3000... and perhaps once the sales dwindle reduce the price on the Go.

Pretty risky but maybe it will pay off.

Now if they just get their minis priced the same as the iPhone counter parts they may prove us all wrong :)

Sleepwalker
October 8th, 2009, 13:46
"Our products rock, but we won't give any numbers" ?

symbal
October 8th, 2009, 17:41
I remember console launches with people queuing around the street and launch weekend sales records being broken, since they won't give details i'm sceptical of that 300% but even that's pretty poor for a console up against an older version of itself.

ninjablde
October 9th, 2009, 02:14
That's funny I work a retail store and we've sold like one of the eight we got since launch. our other stores have sold zero since launch.