PDA

View Full Version : Is Single-PlayerGaming In Danger Of Extinction?

wraggster
October 8th, 2009, 14:41
It's in danger of becoming a lost art. Video game developers, increasingly focused on community building, cooperative play and massive online interactions, seem to have forgotten the satisfaction of the solo experience.

As once singular experiences give way to more multiplayer, more cooperative gaming, we can't help but wonder: Is the single-player-only game in danger of becoming extinct? And if it is, who's really to blame?

The annual pre-holiday game release flood, now spilling into early 2010 thanks to numerous delays, is filled with marquee multiplayer-driven blockbusters—Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Halo 3: ODST. It's also filled with brand new names, games from developers who have seemingly capitulated to the rising clamor for more multiplayer.

"[Multiplayer is] the most requested feature we get," says Todd Howard, executive producer of The Elder Scrolls series and Fallout 3 at Bethesda Softworks, so far resistant to the trend this generation. "So we do consider it every time... and every time it loses, but I suppose you never know."

Entering the multiplayer fray soon are titles like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Naughty Dog's sequel to its purely single-player PlayStation 3 debut. The list also includes BioShock 2, due much later, but also based on a title lauded for its story-driven solo experience and Brutal Legend, famed designer Tim Schafer's first stab at a multiplayer game.

Also due this November is the game that could outsell all of those highly anticipated releases, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a four-player cooperative spin on the side-scrolling formula.

While the latest Nintendo platformer may not be the first game in the series to sport a multiplayer component—portable games Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros. both featured wireless multiplayer modes in a much more limited capacity—rarely has a Mario Bros. game focused so heavily on cooperative play. Not since, well, the original Mario Bros.

There is some cause for concern for the solo-only player. Massively successful games like Infinity Ward's Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Valve's Left 4 Dead offered shorter campaign modes in favor of a more robust multiplayer feature set. And StarCraft fans may be more than perturbed about the late release of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, already sliced into three campaigns, largely due to delays with Battle.net, Blizzard's multiplayer service.

If more publishers and developers follow suit in shifting more focus to multiplayer, will the lone wolf suffer?

The addition of multiplayer to games that have relied on their single player strengths is done for a number of reasons, the most obvious of which is that the game buying public has simply come to expect it as a series sequelizes and evolves. It's an oft-demanded feature from the community, even in series that tend to be strictly single-player.

While Bethesda's epic role-playing games tend to be limited to solo adventures these days, the developer has flirted with multiplayer in the past, with Howard pointing to games like The Terminator: SkyNET. But he sees the tacking on of multiplayer as a potential distraction.

"With the big RPG stuff, I think adding multiplayer distracts your efforts to put the best massive single player experience you can out there," Howard says. "I'd rather use that development time to make the core experience of being a lone hero better."

That distraction was a common concern among PlayStation 3 owners when Naughty Dog and Sony lifted the veil off Uncharted 2: Among Thieves' multiplayer features. Fans lamented that co-op and deathmatch would ill-fit the game and, worse, could detract from the solo adventures of star Nathan Drake.

"Right at the start of the development of Uncharted 2, we decided that we wanted to create a multiplayer game," explains Richard Lemarchand, co-lead designer at developer Naughty Dog. "During production, the single player and multiplayer designers sat together in the same room, and the majority of the artists, animators and other team members that worked on the multiplayer levels worked on parts of the single player game as well. This meant that the quality bar of each part of the game was constantly being inspired and raised by the other parts of the production, and that everything came together with a really cohesive feel."

Fortunately for fans of the single-player Uncharted: Drake's Fortune campaign, Naughty Dog didn't sacrifice that portion of the game at expense of adding a handful of multiplayer modes. In fact, they offered a longer single-player mode

"We had lots of reasons to [add multiplayer] — we love multiplayer games and really liked the idea of Nathan Drake's play mechanics in that context, we wanted to develop ourselves technologically in an area that we hadn't touched for a few years, and, if we're totally honest, we thought that we might see some bonus sales as a result."

That's one of the other key reasons developers add multiplayer components to their games, to ensure that a consumer looking for something to play beyond the eight to twelve hours needed to complete a solo campaign will still see value in their purchase. It's a feature that publishers hope will dissuade consumers from renting or reselling their games.

Games like Bethesda's Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion help retain their value with much longer campaigns and a regular flow of single-player downloadable content, an alternate solution to the multiplayer extension.

"It comes down to doing whatever you need to do to keep people playing your game for months on end," says Cliff Bleszinski, game designer at Epic Games. "The guys at Bethesda realized this with Fallout and are doing what is essentially episodic content with their expansions. Make them keep the disc and keep the game on their mind. That's the goal."

Even without that after-market, post-campaign content—like Gears of War's regular stream of multiplayer map packs, a tactic that has worked well for the Halo and Call of Duty series—Bleszinksi still believes the single-player game can survive.

"It's still possible for an entirely single player game to do well," he contends. "Look at how Assassin's Creed cleaned up at retail. BioShock did well also, although they're adding a multiplayer component in the sequel."

While successful, the addition of multiplayer to the multi-million unit selling BioShock may be illustrative of the changing expectations of consumers. If there's little to do but replay a narrative-driven campaign, many gamers appear quite happy to resell their discs and move onto the next game.

"The best way to combat people trading in your game is to simply make it better in whatever way works for you," argues Todd Howard. "People trade in cars with poor value. Our DLC is a good way to add to the value of the base game and give folks yet another reason to keep playing."

Or consider Nintendo's solution — add a multiplayer component to just about everything, even if the game has a lone wolf history like Punch-Out!! or Super Mario.

The Wii's online multiplayer capabilities may not be as robust as those offered by Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Steam or Battle.net, but multiplayer matches of two to four people on the same couch, each armed with a Wii Remote, may hold equal appeal to Nintendo's expanded audience. And if Nintendo is selling extra Wii Remotes, they're likely finding it appealing too.

The four-player New Super Mario Bros. Wii one-ups the traditional platformer experience, ensuring that players needn't wait their turn to play as Luigi or be relegated to the simplified co-op present in Super Mario Galaxy.

The success of Wii Sports, Wii Play and Nintendo's ensuing first party titles, with their local multiplayer appeal, may not be limited to just Wii games.

"It's interesting how many people have told us that they played Uncharted: Drake's Fortune with their spouse or another family member in the room, which perhaps marks the arrival of a new and different kind of multiplayer gaming!" notes Naughty Dog's Richard Lemarchand. "I'm partly joking, and partly serious –- as games hit higher bench-marks of quality as entertainment, I think we're going to see people finding new ways to enjoy them together in groups, whether it's SingStar parties or an evening in on the couch with some popcorn and Uncharted 2."

That said, Lemarchand says that, at least at Naughty Dog, storytelling is still important. "Even though multiplayer gaming has exploded in popularity in the last few years, and attracted a lot of business interest as a result, I think that single player gaming has a really healthy future."

http://kotaku.com/5376331/is-single+player-gaming-in-danger-of-extinction

User Name
October 8th, 2009, 15:08
Well duh it's more money for them the only way you can play is if you get your own or buy another controller. Or Xbox Live subscription its really sad single player games used to be fun so I'm sticking with Sonic and Knuckles Collection 3 for pc now got all emaralds but one woot.

osgeld
October 8th, 2009, 17:39
long enough?

anyway I dont think single player adventures are on their way out in certain areas, like epic rpg's

What is bugging me abit is the lack of multiplayer on the same console, many games will only do live or system link, which is abit of a bummer

Mc_Logical
October 8th, 2009, 18:24
What about the people that don't have internet access? of course story lines won't die, i always complete games before i play online, it just keeps the game lasting online...

ojdon
October 8th, 2009, 18:31
*Goes back to playing WoW on localhost*

Nah, all that's happening is that multiplayer is getting more popular. There will always be singleplayer.

osgeld
October 8th, 2009, 19:53
What about the people that don't have internet access?

That really hacks me off with the "games for windows"
ports

IE GTA4 you cant save your single player game without being connected to live, and if you drop internet while playing it will just halt you

its obnoxious

JDvorak
October 8th, 2009, 20:25
Multiplayer is nothing new it started back in the 80's on the PC's with modems, laplink cables, etc. and progressed onto lan's and then the internet. Doom on a lan was golden and from there it just took off. Yes there is a need for single player experiences but come on people there are thousands and thousands of single player games you and I have never played for the home computers and console systems dating back to the beginning of the home computer. To say that multiplayer will take over and we will only be playing online over the internet only is not true. Look at Quake III, a great example of multiplayer online action but could be played offline single player with bots. If there comes a day when you can't play without the internet then go back and play the classics or embrace it and play online. I don't play online games, like others have said I prefer the 4 buddies in the same room for multiplayer. Remember Bomberman Saturn, you could multitap that bad boy up to 10 players in the same room. An awesome and fun experience. Better yet we could get out our board games and play them!!! I still enjoy paper and pencil RPG's and have played them since the early 80's !

WhizzBang
October 8th, 2009, 22:29
I think the overwhelming majority of game playing is still single player.

Hypershell
October 8th, 2009, 23:12
Some people are never satisfied. The lack of cooperative gameplay has been biting many a gamer in the rear ever since the PS1/SS/N64 generation. And now that we have GOD FORBID A CO-OP MARIO, everyone's up in arms.

You know, I hate sounding like an old fart, but it used to be we had games like Contra and Ninja Turtles IV that were awesome no matter how many players you had. They were full and engaging experiences in single-player, but they just HAPPENED to allow including a friend simultaneously. It made a great game even better.

It's this idea that multiplayer needs to be somehow segregated from the main game that keeps many developers from delivering the same experience today. Many games advertise multiplayer only to offer some tacked-on garbage. Once in a while we get an odd exception; Star Wars Rebel Strike, SSB Brawl's Subspace Emissary, and Ghostbusters come to mind. In any of those games did anyone ever figure out why shouldn't a second player be allowed to join the main campaign? How does the existence of a simple option make a single player outing any less enjoyable? If the game honestly does not have the cast to support it, that's one thing, but a great many franchises do not have that excuse.

mike_jmg
October 9th, 2009, 03:33
I think the overwhelming majority of game playing is still single player.

yep, my thoughts exactly

I think is the other way around, there aren't much multiplayer games around these days, not like in the days of the N64. There's the wii of course, but that thing is just laughable, for me the only game worth it is SSBB and that's it.

forerx
October 13th, 2009, 16:33
Thank you for your article and it's really a nice one!(Made Easy Forex (http://www.made-easy-forex.com))