PDA

View Full Version : Mega-Mart Beta Testers Wanted

Garak
May 22nd, 2006, 19:22
---------- EDIT ----------
1.50 Beta Testing positions are now filled
2.00 I have no 2.0 testers. Please email me if interested
2.50+ Beta Testing positions are now filled

We might have one more round of testing before the game is released (pending the feedback on the current round). I will make another post if need be. Thank you all for your help.
---------- END EDIT ----------

Greetings PSPers,

Mega-Mart or: How I Learned to Stop Living in Poverty and Love the Corporation is now looking for beta testers. Before it is released, we would like to do a trial run and get some feedback. As a beta tester we ask that you do the following:

1. Look for any bugs in the game
2. Give comments and feedback on game play
3. Offer any ideas you have for the game.

If you have a 1.0 or 1.5 PSP you are welcome to beta test. I will accept a limited number of 2.0+ beta testers, as I do not think the game will run on these systems but would like to test and find out for sure.

If you would like to help fine tune what may just be the best original PSP game to date, send an email with the following subjects to [email protected]:

Subject: Mega-Mart Beta Tester

Please include the following info in the email:
Firmware Version – Needed so I know what files to send you
PSP MAC Address – Needed to ensure the game only runs on your PSP so it does not get leaked before it is ready for release.

Once we have around 10-15 testers, I will email a link to where you can download a copy of the game. Fortune & Glory awaits you!

Garak
AIM: Garak2000
Email: [email protected]

P.S. Forgive me, I originally posted this in the DEV section, but realized it does not receive as much traffic as the news section. If this topic is better suited elsewhere, mods feel free to re-locate it.

Poem58
May 22nd, 2006, 19:41
?? Not about to start handing out my MAC address ??
And since my PSP connects through a router how does this help you and what If I don't take it online why do you need it? How does that keep it from being shared? and If this isn't a program you are selling ...Then why the secrecy? Shouldn't you just let it out and say "hey does it work for everyone?" Thats what other coders do...this sounds really strange and I will avoid it...

Whats next...The programs finished and ready for all...
Just send me your social security number,name and address and bank account number and I will email you the program.....

No thanks....

Damn...Even the email is through a beta site....Secrecy,secrecy,secrecy....This must be the PSP killer app:p

Am i paranoid? Damn right! Keeps me from getting Virused or Hacked...

jaydoo
May 22nd, 2006, 19:52
Id be interested but maybe theres a way f keeping track of user/beta by embeding their name rather than mac address in the code (assuming thats what you're doing).

cloud_952
May 22nd, 2006, 20:02
The MAC will only work on one PSP, because there's one MAC per PSP. If you set it to name, anyone can change the name on their PSP. It only takes 2 minutes. That's hardly a security measure.

I don't know why people are so paranoid about handing out their PSP's MAC. It really isn't all that helpful for people to have. What, so now someone knows your MAC.. AAAAAAAACK! O_O And now they'll do what, exactly? You can't even really hack a PSP with it in your hands, much less from far away over the internet.

Really.. I just don't get it. I'd post mine, but I'm not interested in the game, so it's kinda pointless.

Oh.. and I might get h4cK3d. Spooooky.

Mysteryman
May 22nd, 2006, 20:37
What exactly is this game about?..

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2006, 21:08
A mac address is just a number every network device gets in the factory to differentiate it from every other device. Honestly you cant do much I suppose when keeping track of stock it is more useful then the IP as the MAC address never changes. Giving out your psp mac address in no way compromises your identity or whatever the hell people seem to think. Now there are certainly some cases where networks DO rely on your MAC addresses, but It is very unlikely that your HOME network is setup like this. Also if that were the case you would probably already know it. Fear not kiddies (even though i do think its a waste of time asking for mac addresses.. just release a public beta or somthing)

RedKing14CA
May 22nd, 2006, 22:06
I dont care, i sent the e-mail, i wanna beta test :)

Only thing i would care about is if they e-mailed me an app that bricked my psp :P

Garak
May 22nd, 2006, 22:23
I am truly impressed with the volume of negative replies to our request for beta testers. If I had know that my cashette email address was going to stir such emotions and cause such outrage I would have gone with my gmail address.

But lots of people have requested to beta test none the less, and I think they will all really enjoy the game! With their help and feedback, this should be the best original homebrew game to date, and I suspect we will be ready to release it by months end.

Garak

Poem58
May 22nd, 2006, 22:31
A mac address is just a number every network device gets in the factory to differentiate it from every other device. Honestly you cant do much I suppose when keeping track of stock it is more useful then the IP as the MAC address never changes. Giving out your psp mac address in no way compromises your identity or whatever the hell people seem to think. Now there are certainly some cases where networks DO rely on your MAC addresses, but It is very unlikely that your HOME network is setup like this. Also if that were the case you would probably already know it. Fear not kiddies (even though i do think its a waste of time asking for mac addresses.. just release a public beta or somthing)

Yes, My home network is MAC address filtered and I have indeed seen people trying to Spoof my MAC to get access....So yes it can be an issue. Besides what purpose is there in having give my MAC address is the question. Thats all...So I take security too seriously...but it has allowed me to remain hack and virus free..So I will continue to do so....And I will test,play and enjoy Homebrew software that isn't acting like I am going to ruin their profit margins if someone else plays the game...So Whatever.

gotmilk0112
May 22nd, 2006, 22:39
why does he want it not to be leaked. i mean cmon its a FRICKING GAME.

Mysteryman
May 22nd, 2006, 22:43
I hate that you got bad replys. And mine wasn't bad or atleast it wasn't meant to be. I was just wondering what the game was about.

Video_freak
May 22nd, 2006, 23:54
i'll try beta testing so that i can leak it to everyone MUWAHAHA

kyle2194
May 23rd, 2006, 00:02
You couldn't, it will work only on your psp.

Psyberjock
May 23rd, 2006, 03:37
I just got the beta so I'll get rid of this post stating some suspicion based on the email I got earlier. So far things are looking legit. Once I can look through the game I'll let you guys know what's going on.

infernomax
May 23rd, 2006, 03:46
So is anyone actually testing now??

Mr. Shizzy
May 23rd, 2006, 06:14
No thanks. This is all just way too bizzare for me.
He says the game will be released by the end of the month anyway right? I'll just wait for that.:cool:

Sharkey
May 23rd, 2006, 07:27
You remember back to when somebody made a Quake 2 game and then attached the ISO folder check?

What ever happened to that Quake 2 game? They never got it fully running did they?

I remember that, it was quite the uproar in the community.
Not that it was a big deal to either hex it like you mentioed or use file assistant to rename the folders.

That was only the first version though, he removed in the second.
We never did see a third running the single player game, I guess he just wanted to win the competition at the time then lost interest, too bad.

I think he may be busy with school also.

On Topic: Beta test? No thanks.
Just release it and I promise to test it out.

.:PSP1.0:.
May 23rd, 2006, 09:03
Sounds fishy might wait for the offical release :)

Sharkey
May 23rd, 2006, 09:25
I'm sure it's totally legit, but...

Negative attention is better than no attention at all.
It's quite possible that was the original intention if you get me.

Psyberjock
May 23rd, 2006, 10:39
Well, I downloaded it and checked all the files before putting them on my PSP.

I have to admit I was a little worried because of the strange procedure at first, but everything is legit and it's a pretty cool game.

It is coded to my mac address and I couldn't find any way to disable it. Its pretty solid.

The graphics are the best part of this game. They're not 3d, but they're pretty damn good. This game is a simple platform game that has some real promise. So far it seems limited in its replayability, in fact I started to get tired of doing the same thing over and over after what seemed 5 minutes of hitting bicycles and various sports balls with a baseball bat.

Its definitely worth a download. The programmer called it the best homebrew so far, and I will give it the title, "one of the best."

Its good, guys. I think you'll like it when its released.

jaydoo
May 23rd, 2006, 13:13
A healthy dose of suspicion is actually a good thing.

Also, not using MAC filtering on your home network is incredibly naive.

Sharkey
May 23rd, 2006, 17:59
@Psyberjock, Can you tell us what kind of game it is?
I mean what genre?

I understand if you can't, tight security and all. ;)

LazerTag
May 23rd, 2006, 18:55
Well I deleted my reply. I meant no harm either and didn't mean to sound negative, but can see how it did come out that way. I apologize for that.

Using MAC filtering alone would be naive. WEP/WPA/RADIUS or some other form of firewall/proxy service is really the solid answer. Various port sniffers just make it to easy to watch packet traffic for those who are so inclined.

Anywho, good luck with your game.

joshyouwaa
May 23rd, 2006, 22:34
people are too paranoid. nobody's hacking anybody's psp. why the hell would someone want to anyway?

Accordion
May 23rd, 2006, 22:47
in case you haven't noticed
the world in general is evil
war
illness
the slave trade(in case anyone doesn't know the british empire and africa own the USA, huge unimaginable debts due to the slave trade. however slave trading is immoral so the US say no money should be made of such a crime)
viruses
the RoCaths
KKK
the british national party
bernard manning
you get it, my opinion is free and mine alone

gotmilk0112
May 23rd, 2006, 22:50
ill just wait till public release dont want anything hapen to my psp or computer

Psyberjock
May 23rd, 2006, 22:57
people are too paranoid. nobody's hacking anybody's psp. why the hell would someone want to anyway?

Why the hell would anyone make a program that does bad things to your computer? Yet we still have viruses, thousands of them.

We're not too paranoid. I think we're not too paranoid enough.:D

Psyberjock
May 23rd, 2006, 22:58
@Psyberjock, Can you tell us what kind of game it is?
I mean what genre?

I understand if you can't, tight security and all. ;)

:cool: Its a platform game.. pretty damn good one for homebrew.