PDA

View Full Version : Sony And The No-Confidence Vote

wraggster
May 22nd, 2006, 23:15
Sony continues to spend the goodwill it has achieved over the last generation of consoles. As widely reported over the weekend, last Friday CEO for SCE Europe David Reeves spoke to the press. "We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games." This 'you'll buy it anyway' attitude has further annoyed gamers already rankling from the announced pricetag. Next Gen and IGN talk about the two sides of the coin, with IGN laying into the company for the lack of HDMI output in the cheaper model, and Next Generation saying that Sony is far from defeated.

Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/22/1630251)

Emulation_Chief
May 23rd, 2006, 20:48
Hello:

Certainly, Sony has a big problem here. Or they are really very confident with the supposed sucess of the PS3 or they are very scare of the big possibility of failure for the expensive console.

I agree, not completely, that the console will be cheap. Considering the manufacturing process of the PS3 will raise Sony's expenses to almost $1,000 per unit. If they sell it on $400 - $500, still the company will lose too many on each PS3 they want to sell.

As E3 passed and news arrived, it looks like Sony's only statergy to get sales is the PlayStation brand itself. They think, even with the high price tag it would be, that people will buy the console just because is a PlayStation.

I have a friend that told me that he will buy the PS3 even if it cost that much. Still it does not reflect the final word that the consumers say. Another friend, wich is a PSX and PS2 freak will not buy the new console. Too expensive is what he said. And probably many of us will.

Also the games repertoire, as far as I saw on different websites and on the E3 website, is very poor. On the graphics and sound department there is nothing the X360 can't do. Most of those games will be already available for Microsoft's console. Only Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII are the best I saw for the PS3 and they will not be available at launch.

By the looks of it, SCE has a very steep and large mountain to climb if they want to finish the consoles war this year.