PDA

View Full Version : Test releases up for PSPKVM 0.5.4

NineByNine
October 9th, 2009, 02:42
There are new test builds up for PSPKVM 0.5.4. We don't have an official release as yet (Max, project lead, seems a bit too swamped to do the merge), but these should be pretty stable, and have been tested a fair bit and not just by me, so I figure I'll post 'em up now. See the project wiki 'Test builds' page at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/pspkvm/wiki/TestBuilds for the download links.

Notes on additions/changes:

AMS folder system added. Lets you sort/file your Midlets a little more easily if you've a lot installed.
Much better/more robust multilingual/font support. Now supports all 12 specified fonts for J2ME (system, mono, and proportional fonts in normal, bold, italic, bold-italic), as well as a 'fallback' font convenient for massive pan-Unicode or Han (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) font sets that don't typically have different weights. Demo distros at that testbuild site come with Deja Vu and Firefly Sung fonts already in--makes for very good multilingual support--see captures at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/pspkvm/wiki/MultilingualDemonstration.
Cyrillic and Greek script support for the semichordal virtual board
Wider diacritic support for the semichordal board--with Cyrillic/Greek... see more details at http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=253327.
A new 'in-GUI' config system for some of the features formerly set in the .ini file.

ETA: PSPKVM is a Java 2 Microedition (J2ME) VM for the PSP--meaning it allows you to run 'Midlets'--small Java applets designed for phones and smartphones--on your console. There are thousands of midlets available, covering applications from web browsers, IRC and ssh clients, through spreadsheets and a huge number of games. In addition, since PSPKVM supports the Multiple VM (MVM) J2ME extension, you can run multiple midlets at once--effectively making your PSP a multitasking console.

ThanksForThisEmu
October 11th, 2009, 02:24
I made this account to personally tell you thank you for this homebrew and everyone that helped make it. It's crazy man because I use this homebrew practically every day, and for no reason when I was fiddling around today on the internet, I thought, "Hm, I wonder if there is any update so I could use the BOLT streaming video thing," so I check and bada-bing, there's an update for this app. Now this update might not have that BOLT stream feature or whatchacallit, but I am just happy it's being worked on. So once again, thanks!

Seriously, thanks.
-Jin.

NineByNine
October 12th, 2009, 08:04
You're very welcome, and I will pass that on to Max and Co.

That's how I would up working on it, pretty much. Used it all the time, especially for browsing, got to thinking: this is awesome, these guys did a great job... but I'd like a faster keyboard... this alpha blending could be smoother...

And so fixed that stuff, in my own builds, for myself, got to looking into the code, got to thinking: I can get the font support to handle bigger files without blowing up, too.. Be nice if it could display bold, italic, can fix that... Clipboard 'd be nice... Could do this, too... could do that... and I guess I probably should offer to share this stuff...

Anyway, re video: we do have the media api in place to do it, stubs underneath that, and the hardware *more* than has the horsepower for it, just a matter of gluing stuff up right, but honestly, it could take a bit. There's this whole crazy list of stuff growing up that people are looking for... We're chipping away. And Max has a young kid now, others got other committments, everyone's stretched a bit thin...

But we'll get to it. Bit by bit. Stay tuned.

NineByNine
October 12th, 2009, 15:23
Adding--there's a few more test builds out now... 0.5.4 test 8 has a Danzeff style virtual board, a few more bugfixes, and both the Danzeff and the semichordal board now move around to get out of the way when you're typing near them in the fullscreen text panes. Good for those of us who do go on... See the page above again.