PDA

View Full Version : Dissassembly guide?

Gryzor
May 23rd, 2006, 14:03
Hello!

Today I received my replacement DC case (black clear, to go with the furniture :) ), and realised, upon seeing the 'instructions' on the back that it's not as easy as I imagined it to be! So I tried to find some instructions for assembly/disassembly of the console, but didn't find much... is there any tutorial around?

Thanks!
Gr

fackue
May 24th, 2006, 08:05
Its pretty simple. First remove the modem then the four screws on the bottom of the DC then take the cover off.

Next take the screws from the controller board out and the connecter from the fan and the one that goes to the motherboard, and take the controller board out.

Unscrew the 3 screw holding down the GD drive and take it out. It's connected to the motherboard underneath, so tug a little.

Next take the two screw holding the power supply out, the power switch connecter, and take the psu out.

Now, take the motherboard cover off, there's about 10 screws holding it down. Take out the motherboard along with the bottom cover below it.

Now replace it all back into the new shell.

Gryzor
May 24th, 2006, 15:40
Ah, thanks so much mate, I really appreciate it...

I found out myself, it's like you describe it. However I did manage to trash my console, from what it seems tho :( It powers up ok, drive spins up, VMU lights up, and *SOME* sort of signal is sent to the TV, but it's totally black and with no sound... sigh... :`(

Gryzor
May 24th, 2006, 19:00
Ok, good news, and it might help others, too.

I reopened the case and took everything apart, then put it back together; same effect, nothing except blackness coming out of it. But then, I opened it up again and powered it up (DISCLAIMER: YOU CAN PROBABLY KILL YOURSELF THAT WAY!). Then I started loosening the screws and , luckily enough, the first screws that I undid a bit (those of the GDROM drive) gave the desired effect and the system bleeped into life :)

Cheers
Gryzor

fackue
May 24th, 2006, 23:27
Nice work. I think if you keep tightening the screw too tight, your Dreamcast will permanently not show audio or video (I learned the hard way).

Gryzor
May 25th, 2006, 08:09
...obviously you're not the only one... Sounds like a short-circuit or something is taking place, not the best thing that can happen!

If I hadn't fixed it I'd have bought the first mint-condition DC I'd find on eBay, I really love this machine and the Puyo Fever afternoon doubles with my girlfriend, so it'd be money well-spent. And this, from a guy who works for Sony :)

fackue
May 25th, 2006, 23:16
You work for Sony?

Gryzor
May 26th, 2006, 10:03
Ah, yes. Will I get flamed? :D

fackue
May 27th, 2006, 03:48
Depends on what you do.

No but seriously, what do you do?

Gryzor
May 27th, 2006, 08:54
Nothing to do with PS! (except for testing out new games as they come in the office :) ). I'm in Marketing, in Personal Audio and In-Car Entertainment...