PDA

View Full Version : Need a good TV Tuner for connecting PS3/360 to Laptop ..

ahmadka
October 12th, 2009, 00:40
Hey guys ... Well I have a PS3 and 360, and I basically wanted to utilize my laptop's 18.4" 16:9 1920x1080 screen for their display. I already have a device called EasyCap which lets me see my PS3/360 screens on my laptop's screen, but the output is of low quality.

I basically wanted to get a TV tuner card which is able to maybe display higher quality outputs on the laptop's screen, which is preferably in HD resolutions too .. HD resolutions are not really required, but the quality should at least be better than that I get from Easycap .. Easycap makes the graphics look like those of PS2's :P ..

So if you know any good TV tuner devices which can provide high quality video output on the laptop screen, please do let me know .. I am basically trying to just buy a device like this, instead of having to buy a whole new LCD/HDTV just for my consoles ..

pibs
October 12th, 2009, 04:10
You would be better off buying a monitor for $100 instead of buying an adapter that might cost you upwards of that. My cousin recently bought a 20' widescreen at Best Buy for about $100 and I know amazon always has 18' for $100. As for audio, if you have an existing stereo just buy rca to 3.5mm cables and if you don't have a home stereo or computer speakers you can pickup some computer speakers starting for about $11 at Target or even better ones with a subwoofer for $30+up.

I use a similar set up and all it cost me was the hdmi to dvi cable to connect my pc's monitor. But I do plan on buying some more monitors later on for my consoles for lan parties.

If your 360 is the old hdmi-less model, you can pick up a 360 vga cable used for about $4 on amazon.

All in all, a set up like this offers much better quality than a TV tuner setup while it might cost you a few bucks more, it will save you time not dealing with drivers and wondering if it works with vista (if you use that). Sorry if im not much help, but having dealt with TV tuner cards in the past, id rather just save myself the trouble and buy a monitor.

ahmadka
October 12th, 2009, 17:25
I'm not actually looking to get proper HD output on my laptop ... I just need a good quality signal, one better than that I get with EasyCap .. HD is preferred, but not necessarily needed ... I thing is I'm actually a student, and can't really afford to spend $200 right now, which is why I'm aiming to buy maybe a decent TV Tuner/Video Capture device (which should not be more than about $50), which can give me good (not HD necessarily) output on the laptop screen ...

I know getting an LCD is an obvious option, but I simply can't spend $200 on that right now .. :(

NoQuarter
October 12th, 2009, 18:28
I used a TV tuner on my laptop,ps3 and couldn't deal with the latency, the amount of lag in that setup sucks.