PDA

View Full Version : Talkman Euro - PSP

wraggster
May 24th, 2006, 02:15
News from Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3854&lsaid=219793)

Last November Talkman was a unique hit that showed PSP owners how easy and fun it can be to learn various phrases in Japanese, Chinese (Mandarin), Korean and English. The very idea behind the translator however came three years ago when the producer, Yoshi Yamamoto, was on vacation in Europe and couldn't talk to a beautiful Italian lady sitting all alone on a bench. Finally out this week, and just in time for the World Cup in Germany, Talkman Euro offers up six languages used in 95 countries across the globe; French, German, Spanish, Italian, British English and Japanese.

• Talkman Euro TV Commercial (1mb, 0:15, WMV) (http://image.lik-sang.com/trailers/psp-talkman-euro-jap-tvcm.wmv)

http://image.lik-sang.com/content/wgu/talkman-euro-console.jpg

There's over 3000 sentences (not all pick up lines I assume!) to go across 28 scenes such as an airport, hotel, shops, restaurant, taxi, hospital and many more. You can also save voice recordings, convert currency, length, weight, area, temperature (despite the fact every country listed all use the Metric system), and play one of several mini games to make learning as fun as it should have been back in High School. Your pronunciation will be rated from A to D, while another game has you guess the correct meaning of a phrase from multiple choices. Coming complete with a mini microphone that plugs into the top of your PSP, Talkman Euro is due in this week, and since the handheld and all its games are region free, anyone from around the world can learn a language when the title arrives this week.

Screwie5150
May 24th, 2006, 05:46
does anyone know when or it is going to be released in the U.S.??? looks cool for the traveler...

KriMe
May 24th, 2006, 07:06
I hope soon,

urherenow
May 24th, 2006, 08:12
It's a worthless piece of crap. I thought I reviewed the Japanese version here a long time ago. I would think that any games that use a microphone will only use the headset, so the USB microphone that comes with it is useless as well. First of all (other than language, obviouly) you have to pick a situation (ie. shopping, airplane, diner, date, etc) and there are built in prases for that situation and only that situation. Even if you know exactly what is on the list of available phrases and you say that very phrase perfectly into the microphone, it still pops up a list of phrases for you to choose from. Let's say you're on a date and you want to know the time... switch to a different category and ask 'what time is it' and the thing won't have a clue what you want to translate because that's in a different category.... but it will still pop up a list of phrases from the category you're in.

So what was that snazzy looking microphone for?

Oh yea...

to throw at sray cats :P

shadowprophet
May 24th, 2006, 08:53
But as I understand this.
You speak into it and it translates what you say into another launguage?
I dont know about other people.
But if somone walked up to me and spoke some sort of gibberish into a little device and it started speaking to me:confused:
I dont know, a bad scene would probibly follow.
Its not that im intolerant twords other launguages.
But stupidity is unforgivible :rolleyes:
Dont attempt to speak to me with toys damnit, either learn my launguage. or promt me to learn yours, But attempt to speak to me with toys, and I promise it wont end well..

Usted puede pensar que im un asshole y yo está de hecho. Pero no insulte mi inteligencia hablándome con los juguetes.:mad:

Paiku
May 24th, 2006, 09:44
This MIGHT become in handy since I'm going to Japan in the next month.

mog
May 24th, 2006, 13:44
I think talkman is pretty cool and could be quite useful.

Only problem I have with this european version, is that I don't really have any interest in learning any of these languages other than japanese.
The asian version had more interesting languages in my opinion.

The voice recognition part of these programs would be interesting.
Especially when you select say japanese->english, where you will need to speak well in japanese or it won't understand you. :p

Anyone know what firmwares these two games run on?
The euro one is bound to need a much higher firmware than the asian one.
I'm not buying either until I know it will run on my 1.0 psp... :rolleyes:

urherenow
May 24th, 2006, 17:19
Shadow... maybe you didn't get the jist of what I just said. It doesn't translate what you say at all. It has a few hundred, pre-programmed phrases in different languages. That's it. When you speak into it, it pulls up a list of phrases that it thinks you are trying to say, and you choose that phrase and it says that phrase in the appropriate language. There's no way to have the machine repeat back in another language "Is your daughter 18?" or "You've got a great ass!"

shadowprophet
May 24th, 2006, 17:25
I dunno,
At the time I made that post, I was pretty exausted. Sleep deprivataion makes one think funny things lol