PDA

View Full Version : Opera talks up Wii's web browser

wraggster
May 24th, 2006, 15:54
Here's a fun game to try at home: whenever someone asks you a question, look at the ground and firmly state, "I'm sorry, I can't give you that information". Frustrating, isn't it? Anyway, it seems that Opera executive vice president Scott Hedrick invented that little past-time before the rest of us.

Speaking to IGN, the ee vee pp remained tightlipped on much regarding Opera's deal with Nintendo to implement web browsing functionality in the upcoming Wii console. However, using our special magnifying glass of sheer scrutiny, we gleaned that Opera plans on offering Nintendo a fully equipped "custom version of the Opera browser, incorporating the Wii remote control into this unique browsing experience" for its new console, although media player functionality has yet to be announced.

As for the thorny issue of user input, given the Wii's lack of keyboard (unless Nintendo has something up its sleeve), Hedrick explained, "The Wii remote control is an extremely advanced tool. Opera plans to use this to its full advantage and it will provide an intuitive way to surf the Web. Imagine the possibilities in terms of surfing with a motion sensitive remote control." He continued, "I cannot specifically comment on the lack of keyboard, but many devices running Opera don't have keyboards, such as the Nintendo DS, and feature on-screen keyboards to solve this problem."

It's currently unclear how Nintendo plans to distribute the browser right now, but Hedrick was prepared to reveal that "it will not be sold as a separate item, as it is for Nintendo DS." Whether this means the browser will be incorporated into the Wii's operating system or available as a download via its Virtual Console service remains to be seen.

Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140445)