PDA

View Full Version : Sony May Try To Stop PS3 Game Resales

wraggster
May 24th, 2006, 22:28
Via Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/games/06/05/24/1854252.shtml)

Next Generation reports on Sony's hopes that it will be able to prevent the resale of PS3 games. The article argues that it is unlikely they'll succeed in this goal. From the article: "One expert in retail law told Next-Gen.Biz, 'Sony can theoretically sell a license to play the game, but the user would have to acknowledge acceptance of the license. You've seen this when you install software on a PC. I'm not sure that the license agreement is enforceable if the licensee doesn't agree to it. Also, even if the agreement is enforceable, it's hard to preclude subsequent sale of the disc. The consumer could theoretically agree that he doesn't own the right to transfer his license, but why couldn't he sell the medium that held the license (the disc)? Sony can't enforce the agreement against a third party, as it lacks privity with the third party.'

Zion
May 25th, 2006, 00:32
Sony are obsessed about that. I think its your right as a customer, to sell or borrow your games to anyone at any time.

V3N0M
May 25th, 2006, 00:34
Ya i mean if they did that you would have to bring your dam console where every you go because the games would only work on that one.

Zion
May 25th, 2006, 00:40
If console gaming every gets to that stage (half-life 2) for every game, im not even going to bother owning a games console anymore.

I think Half-Life 2 was a prime example of ridiculous security. Ok fine registering with the cd-key was a good idea but, to have to go online every time you wanted to play to check it was still on the same pc was ludicrous.

I barley ever played my copy of Half-Life 2 because of this huge annoyance.

Edit : Sorry for being slightly off topic.

BrooksyX
May 25th, 2006, 00:53
how are people going to rent games?

Shilo
May 25th, 2006, 00:54
That would suck! I think Sony has just gone Coo-coo!

Zion
May 25th, 2006, 00:56
What are thoese discs sony are going to use as well? Blueray?

SSaxdude
May 25th, 2006, 01:29
I heard about this a while back that they patented the technology. I think that's just stupid.

horacehogarth
May 25th, 2006, 12:30
This story is complete rubbish and has already been confirmed to be false by Sony.

Accordion
May 25th, 2006, 17:48
yep
sony confirmed they were not doing it
too much of an upproar when they revealed it ages ago

samidgley
May 25th, 2006, 18:09
Just as an exstra thing.. I don't think I've ever bought a first hand game