PDA

View Full Version : downgrading to 1.5 VS. using eboot loader + couple of other Qs

xplizit
May 25th, 2006, 13:01
Hiya

I got a free PSP with my new phone and it's on its way. I have a few questions to ask if anyone could help...

First of all I have no idea what firmware will be on there yet but I assume it'll be at least 2.0 if not 2.5 or 2.6

I'll mainly want to be using it for emulation, video and browsing the web wirelessly but would also like to be able to use it to play ISOs so I don't have to carry UMDs around with me all the time.

My first question therefore is: what are the differences in day to day useability between using 1.5 and the eboot loader on 2.0/5/6

What will I be able/not be able to do with either one?

My next question is: to use the GTA LCS eboot loader, do you need the UMD in the PSP at the time or will it work from a GTA ISO as well?

And will other ISOs work with 1.5? Or is it a case of if the UMD works with that firmware the ISO will too and if the UMD requires a newer firmware, the ISO will also need it to run?

I'll probably think of more questions later but if anyone could answer these I'd be very grateful...

Cheers

Zion
May 25th, 2006, 13:37
Quote : My next question is: to use the GTA LCS eboot loader, do you need the UMD in the PSP at the time or will it work from a GTA ISO as well?

Yes it has to be the original umd not a iso.

And there is more hombrew on a 1.5 and its a lot less hassle than using the eboot loader.

If you want to find out about iso's here's not the place. The word ISO is frowned upon here. (just letting you know) Go to www.psp-hacks.com to find out about that.

xplizit
May 25th, 2006, 13:42
thanks man. it looks like 1.5 would be my best bet then.

what will i lose out on by using that over the newer fw? some games won't work? no browser? (but i believe there are homebrew browsers) anything else?

thanks

Zion
May 25th, 2006, 13:51
Hombrew browser and there are only a few games that do not work. I doubt it will be a 1.5 anyway unfortuantly. Right gotta go back to work now!

xplizit
May 25th, 2006, 13:55
i'm also pretty sure it won't be 1.5 but anything up to 2.6 can be downgraded right?
cheers for the help anyway :]

Decius
May 25th, 2006, 14:07
Only 2.00 can be downgraded. If it comes with anything higher than 2.00 (which it probably will) you wont be able to downgrade.

xplizit
May 25th, 2006, 14:22
crappy

what are the disadvantages of using the eboot loader over 1.5 fw then?

1. not all emus/homebrew will work (i've seen a compatibility chart somewhere)

2. i'll have to buy GTA

3. it's a bit of a pain having to load GTA each time

anythign else?

xplizit
May 25th, 2006, 14:26
crappy

what are the disadvantages of using the eboot loader over 1.5 fw then?

1. not all emus/homebrew will work (i've seen a compatibility chart somewhere)

2. i'll have to buy GTA

3. it's a bit of a pain having to load GTA each time

anythign else?

4. ISOs :hides: won't work either will they? :((

psiko_scweek
May 25th, 2006, 16:04
No, ISOs will not work, they require Kernel mode and as of now, only 1.5 and 1.0 have full Kernal mode, 2.0 and above have only access to User mode.

Basically the higher the version you go,the less functionality you have, if you want the best of both worlds look for a 2.0.

If you like your PSP support it by purchasing the game, dont download them.

xplizit
May 25th, 2006, 16:12
k thanks. now all i have to do is hope it's not a 2.7 version already :s and that one day it's made possible to downgrade from 2.01+ to 1.5