PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Homebrewing News

wraggster
October 14th, 2009, 20:19
News from pedroduarte0

More and more I start to feel the frustration of the time demanding task of doing homebrew which is unfortunately incompatible with my current life. This is intrinsic to C/C++ stuff, greatly amplified by the use of gcc based development tools with little debugging support. There were moments when I really wish for a RAD language + environment for the PS2… Nevertheless, it’s still more gratifying than doing everything quickly and with little effort.

About the ps2doom,

I managed to improve the audio quality of the sound for Doom2 WAD (although unnoticeable)
Discarted LIBSD requirement and adopted freesd-1.01 so older japanese models should able to play this and in theory, it should be more compatible with PS3 homebrew loading (don’t ask me anything about this, I don’t own a PS3 neither I’m interested in making it fully compatible, if it isn’t already)
Digital pad buttons are now usable
Added libconfig support (thanks misfire for the gift to the community) and this allowed me to add a simple way to make the controls completely reconfigurable without having to code boring GUI configs. The drawback is that you need to edit a config file or use a tool at PC side, this is not done at the PS2, sorry. This broke some things recently at the control system, nothing that a little debugging wouldn’t solve
So, after I finish the issue mentioned just above, it’s really for a new sparkling release.

I still have some plans regarding music (not to give details for now) and some other good stuff.
Although the sources are available through the assembla repository (see old post) I will sooner of later put everything into a google code project. I’d like to make the code compilable with current ps2sdk gsKit+SDL or with the minimal modifications first.

Wish me luck.

http://ps2homebrewing.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/status-update-and-some-words/