PDA

View Full Version : Shops Get it Wrong

wraggster
May 27th, 2006, 00:09
Ok heres a pic now tell me whats wrong after looking at it:

http://www.superufo.com/edit_box/uppic/PSP1.52.jpg

Yep over at SuccessHK (http://www.success-hk.com/affiliatewiz/aw.asp?B=112&A=50&Task=Click) they by the looks of that sign are posting that v1.52 firmware PSPs can run homebrew, well that is of course wrong, you can upgrade to a version 2.0 firmware and either stay as it is or downgrade to v1.5 but the v1.52 thing is wrong.

The V1.52 is selling for near on 300 dollars for the rich and homebrew starved.

acn010
May 27th, 2006, 00:35
LMFAO!
funny.

Cooe14
May 27th, 2006, 00:37
Who in there right mind would pay $300 for a 1.52?

rmg060606
May 27th, 2006, 00:40
i would pay that much if it was all modded up and had led lights out the wazoo

r2works
May 27th, 2006, 00:41
u can get a 1.5 on Ebay for just about half that

acn010
May 27th, 2006, 00:44
lol that is true, too expensive. i wish it was cheaper or at least the original price

Voltron
May 27th, 2006, 01:27
What's the chance you can still find a 1.51, 1.52, or 2.00 in a local Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, etc.?

I know by the letter under the barcode on the side of the PSP box you can determine what firmware is pre-installed. For instance B is 1.51, C D & E are 1.52, and F is 2.00.

If anyone spots any of these hiding under the pile or in the back of the shelving case, post which store you found it at.

gotmilk0112
May 27th, 2006, 01:49
LOL HOMEBREWE!! xDDDD :D :D :D

1.52 does not run homebrew xD

kcc86
May 27th, 2006, 01:52
The V1.52 is selling for near on 300 dollars for the rich and homebrew starved.

hahah... you forgot to add "and the stupid." got my 1.52 on ebay for a total of 220

Video_freak
May 27th, 2006, 01:55
at least there are still 2.00- PSPs out there. if my 1.5 broke, i would be happy to buy one for under $300

mog
May 27th, 2006, 02:12
£161 for 1.52? sweet! :p
seeing as a regular 2.01+ psp is £145 ($279)...
If someone asked a 2.x user if they would like kernel mode access for 16 quid, I recon they'd like it. :D

Ok... so prices aren't really as nice as that in the UK, I know normal US psp's are $200 (£108)...

It's stupid... it would be cheaper for people in the UK to buy a US psp than the ones on the highstreet.
Even the airmail and possibility of customs tax shouldn't stop it working out cheaper than a UK psp... :rolleyes:

Squidman
May 27th, 2006, 03:00
Damn they're retarted......1.52 running Homebrew!? right......

They're basically brodcasting the entire Homebrew scene with that, letting more people know about and getting Sony even more pissed. (Yes some people have never heard of Homebrew before)

tophead420
May 27th, 2006, 03:21
ye i seen that last nite an i was like wtf these people are retared and by the way could sum1 please pm me a few places to buy a 1.5 psp because i rlly need one bc i have 2.6 thanks to one of my stupid a$$ friends upgrading my psp

tophead420
May 27th, 2006, 03:24
£161 for 1.52? sweet! :p
seeing as a regular 2.01+ psp is £145 ($279)...
If someone asked a 2.x user if they would like kernel mode access for 16 quid, I recon they'd like it. :D

Ok... so prices aren't really as nice as that in the UK, I know normal US psp's are $200 (£108)...

It's stupid... it would be cheaper for people in the UK to buy a US psp than the ones on the highstreet.
Even the airmail and possibility of customs tax shouldn't stop it working out cheaper than a UK psp... :rolleyes:

i think your mistaken man a psp n the US is 250 bucks unless your talkn about the one thats a psp only and not the exras with it

Combustolux
May 27th, 2006, 03:31
i got one off of buy.com it was 1.52 valuepack $230 got it a few months back hehhe

pkmusicmaker
May 27th, 2006, 03:43
Really anything 2.00 and under is worth as much as a 1.50 since they can be changed to 1.50. So I wouldn't pay any less for a 1.52 than i would for a 1.50.

shadowprophet
May 27th, 2006, 04:03
Really anything 2.00 and under is worth as much as a 1.50 since they can be changed to 1.50. So I wouldn't pay any less for a 1.52 than i would for a 1.50. So what if its a miss wording.
This exact psp WILL play homebrew once you go through the proper red tape:p

slayer2psp
May 27th, 2006, 04:30
i just looked at ebay 1.5 with gig stick for around 150.00- 180.00 used

pkmusicmaker
May 27th, 2006, 05:16
So what if its a miss wording.
This exact psp WILL play homebrew once you go through the proper red tape:p

No idea if you're agreeing with me, but that was my point exactly.

Mr. Shizzy
May 27th, 2006, 05:30
I used to have a 2.6. But I traded it and; shelled out a couple extra bucks for a 2.00 and downgraded it. The only commercial game I even miss is Fight Night 3.
And I own that on PS2 anyway. SONY has really disappointed with the PSP. I think if they actually embraced homebrew, set some guidelines (rules);
and charged a small fee to post your homebrew creations. They could have integrated it into SONY CONNECT and paid homebrew developers royalty's
and actually been profiting from all this while maintaining complete control. Thank god they didn't. That would have sucked.

Sterist
May 27th, 2006, 07:36
lol take off the Thinking Cap..... month+ of work should require no fee to host. the ONLY way sony could charge ppl w/o a lawsuit would be to sell that homebrew app FOR the developer and take a small fee off that. then it comes to a situation where its kinda like a Copyright or IS a Copyright on the homebrew, which.... could be stressful to the dev, since it cant be freely passed around and feedback would be limited (only ppl who wanted to pay money for this unknown homemade no-warentee software would have it)

Mr. Shizzy
May 27th, 2006, 08:06
Think about this though: right now the only pay a hb dev gets is whatever donations they recieve (which probably doesn't add up to what it should). And thats basically what I ment- that SONY would be selling the hb apps/games and paying royalties. Obviosly SONY would apply all there rules and regulations. And they would have to test it before they just put it up for sale.
They could have posting boards for each download just like this site does. And obviously something SONY released wouldn't void your warrenty bro.
Anyway this isn't a scenerio I'm wishing for.
Like I said it would totaly suck for us. (We definently wouldn't be playing SNES or Genesis emulators) It was just some hind sight on how SONY dropped the ball with the whole homebrew thing.

.:PSP1.0:.
May 27th, 2006, 10:05
Think about this though: right now the only pay a hb dev gets is whatever donations they recieve (which probably doesn't add up to what it should)

Man have you ever thought about the fact that most homebrew devs make emulators and homebrew games because they might enjoy it or enjoy sharing their skills with the community and not trying to make a profit? Not trying to have a go at you or anything so don't get me wrong but i'm just saying for example Yoyo with the Snes emulator all they really want donations for is so they can from time to time have a nice meal at a resturant and discuss future plans to do with their emulator or other devs just wanting a second PSP to test their work on? :)

gotmilk0112
May 27th, 2006, 13:03
sony selling hombrew?? hmm... they would have to do somthing like split the money 50-50 with the creator but u know how sony would be and they would do it 80-20 >_> but if the homebrew creators willingly gave it to sony to put on there system sony would have to like, put in a credits thing on the download screen.

mr_nick666
May 27th, 2006, 13:08
Ive often wondered about Sony putting a load of homebrew on a UMD - I reckon theyd make a fortune with 2.01+ users who wanted the good stuff! :p

Got my Jap 1.5 imported and payed £110 total! :D

Bear_XI
May 27th, 2006, 14:08
LOL they suck they don't even know how to write HOMEBREW

HOMEBREWE LOLOLOL!!!

mog
May 27th, 2006, 14:16
i think your mistaken man a psp n the US is 250 bucks unless your talkn about the one thats a psp only and not the exras with it
what? ah the 1.52 psp on successHK is a value pack, not just the base unit...
Sorry, I thought $300 was too cheap for a value pack psp!
I was comparing it with base unit psp on amazon UK and US...

1.52 PSP - Value Pack = £162 ($300)

Amazon UK PSP - Value Pack = £179 ($334)
Amazon UK PSP - Base Unit = £145 ($269)

Amazon US PSP - Value Pack = £135 ($250)
Amazon US PSP - Base Unit = £108 ($200)

LOL, that's even worse! :p
The 1.52 value pack PSPs are cheaper than our standard value pack PSPs... :rolleyes:

psychadelicious
May 27th, 2006, 15:06
Did anyone notice that they spelled "Homebrew" wrong on the ad?:confused:

Squidman
May 27th, 2006, 16:56
ye i seen that last nite an i was like wtf these people are retared and by the way could sum1 please pm me a few places to buy a 1.5 psp because i rlly need one bc i have 2.6 thanks to one of my stupid a$$ friends upgrading my psp

You could always buy this one...:D

Did anyone notice that they spelled "Homebrew" wrong on the ad?:confused:

Ya, I just realized that

Mr. Shizzy
May 27th, 2006, 17:45
Man have you ever thought about the fact that most homebrew devs make emulators and homebrew games because they might enjoy it or enjoy sharing their skills with the community and not trying to make a profit? Not trying to have a go at you or anything so don't get me wrong but i'm just saying for example Yoyo with the Snes emulator all they really want donations for is so they can from time to time have a nice meal at a resturant and discuss future plans to do with their emulator or other devs just wanting a second PSP to test their work on? :)

Look; I understand that alot of them do it for fun.
I'm currently learning to code b/c I think it's fun.
Thank God that SONY never got their greedy little hands into the hb scene. I was just having some random thoughts folks. Please don't read too deep into them. My points were:

1)Sony f***ed up on there policy with homebrew.Instead of fighting a losing battle; they could have maintained complete control over their own handheld system.

2)Homebrew devs are underpaid & under appreciated. They ARE doing most of their work for free. We should be eternally grateful for all that they've done. Nothing pisses me off more than hearing some ignorant fool get disrespectful with a hb dev. (the Psmonkey fiasco is a perfect example)

Mad props to: PSmopnkey, StrmnNrmn, MikeDX,
Deniska, Fanjita, Ditlew &
Every other HARD WORKING coder out there. You know who you are!!! You guys bring alot of joy to alot of ppl.:)

acn010
May 27th, 2006, 21:17
What's the chance you can still find a 1.51, 1.52, or 2.00 in a local Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, etc.?

I know by the letter under the barcode on the side of the PSP box you can determine what firmware is pre-installed. For instance B is 1.51, C D & E are 1.52, and F is 2.00.

If anyone spots any of these hiding under the pile or in the back of the shelving case, post which store you found it at.

OH THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i knew before about the letters but never new about the versions of each letter. and i found a whole stock of letter B in my neighborhood(it seems that the store dont get too much attention. once again, thank you

J sims
May 29th, 2006, 19:30
I think when they said 1.52 was able to play homebrew they meant that it could be upgraded to 2.0 then downgrade to 1.5

LampDev
June 15th, 2006, 22:08
Does anyone have any experience with the downgrader?

How brickalicious is it?

Is something like this even worth it now that the modchip (presumably) will be out soon?

If all I wanted to do was watch movies, run emus, and read ebooks (chm, pdf), would I be better off just buying a PDA? In fact, the PSP seems to be pricier than most PDAs.

samidgley
June 16th, 2006, 09:39
I'm actually thinking about selling my 1.5 PSP now, and I shall buy a GP2x instead..
....they seem a bit friendlier about the whole homebrew thing lol

LampDev
June 17th, 2006, 20:39
Yeah, there's about a dozen or so 1.50's on ebay, but you have no idea what type of shape they'll be in. How many scratches are on the screen, whether the analog stick is dead, or even if they do have the correct firmware.

I've decided a $300 PDA that plays movies well does not exist.

I'm leaning between buying this or the GP2X myself. I'm leaning towards the GP2X because I already have a 2GB SD card from my camera rather than speding money on the PSP, buying a memory stick duo, hoping that I can downgrade it successfully and then still not be able to read CHM files for my ebooks.

At least with the GP2X, the chmlib (http://66.93.236.84/~jedwin/projects/chmlib/) is waiting to be used for an application. At least both the GP2X and PSP can read pdf files to a certain extent.

EDIT:
I was wrong. The PSP does support CHM files (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26084).

samidgley
June 18th, 2006, 00:11
Well basically if the Gp2x succeeds in being able to to play the PSone emulator properly I'll definetly sell my PSP to swap to that.

LampDev
June 18th, 2006, 07:23
You're forgetting that the PSX4All gives even the PSP a small chance of being able to run PSX games in the future.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24228

deviant
June 18th, 2006, 11:34
I happily paid $350 for my PSP 1.52, and another $170 for the 2 GB MS :D

It is worth noting that I paid $250 for a PSP 2.01 Value Pack a few days earlier, which currently is the lowest retail price here.

I had an extremely hard time locating a <2.01 PSP, and happily paid the extra one hundred when I did find one (they only had one!). Considering GTA is still $60 around here, it is not such a bad deal.

I suppose it is also worth noting that the retailer likely paid a lot more for the old 1.52 than he would pay for a new 2.01 from Sony. Can't blame them for trying to make a living.

LampDev
June 18th, 2006, 15:42
Yep, it'll cost $390 from success hk when you consider I have to buy the $280 unit plus about $40 shipping just to get it here. Then $70 for a 2GB memory stick (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820191427).

I was prepared to spend that amount on a PDA. The price was fine with me.

My issue is that I don't see anyone giving any testimonials on this thread saying, "OMG! I got my 1.52 PSP in today. No dead pixels! Downgrading was a snap. Best $$ I ever spent!" ... or something like that.

I'm considering trying to find a toystore in town which might still have an old 2.00 in stock. At least I would know that if it had a defect, I could always return the stupid thing instead of paying shipping back to Hong Kong, then wait weeks if they have to send it to Japan, ect...

LampDev
June 20th, 2006, 02:15
Whoo hoo! I found a 1.52 value pack at Toys R Us. It was on sale, too. That saved me close to $100. They had 2 left.

I'm not downgrading jack for a few weeks. I need to get some milage out of it in case I brick the stupid thing.

samidgley
June 20th, 2006, 16:39
If it's between downgrading and buying the UP chip though, you might as well downgrade as if you did manage to brick your PSP, the UP chip would effectively unbrick it

ACID
June 20th, 2006, 17:54
I have to say people want the great 1.50 without goign to the trouble of looking.
Just two weeks ago i went to mi local gamestop asked to test some psp looked at the firmware and bought 2 (2.0) psps for 350 and sold mi white psp on ebay for 500 now thats a profit people just go out and look theres still plenti of them out in the stores

LampDev
June 20th, 2006, 19:33
That's not really all that true. I had spent close to 6 hours on the phone (over three days), crossing all of the stores on my side of town off the list. No Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, or KB Toys had one in town. Costco DID have one, but 2 days from when I called, they shipped them back along with other PSPs that Sony said had "defective" parts.
I hadn't even thought of Toys R Us until I saw a banner ad for them on the net. Guess banner ads DO work. :)