PDA

View Full Version : PSP - Portaball, breakout game for 2.7 flash

Shallan
May 27th, 2006, 16:36
In the process of making my clone of C64 Creatures I have had to be inventive with ways of doing normally simple things, part of this meant I needed some fast collision detection on multiple objects. The result of this testing is a quickly constructed game in the form of Portaball, a breakout style game for firmware 2.7 users or any Flash enabled browser.

As this is merely a test the game isnt as polished as it could be nor will it ever be but its really quite playable even if the collision is a little "spongy". Ive added some music I made for it and a few powerups to make it more of a game. There are 8 levels which repeat once you complete them and 6 powerups. You can find it and more at my site here (http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/games.htm)

http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/img/portaball.jpg

As you can see the game is played from the side so best to hold the PSP this way. Use analog stick to control the bat and X button to start the game and launch a "caught" ball once you have this powerup.

Should anyone find game stopping bugs, I may tidy them up but for now the game is staying as is, Enjoy!

YourStillWithMe
May 27th, 2006, 19:21
Shallan-I have noticed that you have devloped a few games for the 2.70 system do yous omehow think that you can do anything other than simple games? Such as a NES or Gameboy/Gameboy Color Emulator? What are your limits through this method?

Shallan
May 27th, 2006, 19:27
Unfortunately theres little chance of any kind of emulation using Flash for several reasons, the biggest being the severe lack of speed in PSP flash.

On the bright side my latest project is a clone attempt at posssibly one of the best C64 games ever. Check out the latest build on my site here (http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/creatures/creatgame.swf)

Tron_Fan
May 28th, 2006, 18:52
Good job. It is quite playable. The one odd thing, though, is that the mouse pointer seems to float around the screen with the paddle.

Did you say this has music? I didn't hear anything when I was playing it. Do I need to enable something on the PSP to hear sound in Flash?

Anyway, great job! Please keep up the good work!

Shallan
May 28th, 2006, 22:32
Yes it does... For sound in Flash you need to enable Key-Tone settings in the PSP setup. Its a really odd way to do it but then its Sony what do we expect.

Kinda pissed with Sony atm, i mean my w550i (Sony eriksson) phone runs flash faster than the PSP whats up with that!?!?! Its making my Creatures build a pain in the ass to get at reasonable speed.

Tron_Fan
May 29th, 2006, 06:17
Thanks! That did the trick! I turned it off because of the annoying "click" that goes along with it.

As for the slow performance of Flash on the PSP. I guess that's where the good programmers will shine, huh? Doing more with less? So far you're doing GREAT! :)

inashix
June 8th, 2006, 01:15
First off the Last Ninja was THE best c64 game omg i had so much fun playing that and then my 1542 drive died on me and i had to save for months to get a new one *sob* but theres a bit of a bug in the game after you drop the cannonball and it goes through the chain reaction to the bottom my character just dies please patch up and if you would give me some info. on what you used to port this/get it into flash/flash tools for psp, because I will port The last ninja to the psp :D, if you could please email me at: [email protected] or [email protected] and title it psp homebrew or something with psp TY for bringing back memories of the good old c64 days...and keep up the good work!

TCLCloud
July 8th, 2006, 16:37
This is pretty good, nothing to complicated yet still needs skill to play, again, good work

fender3924
August 16th, 2006, 20:04
One Question, how do you save it on your PSP

XpspX
October 7th, 2006, 03:54
Nice, simple game..would be great if you threw in a pause button. Well..i guess 'select' always works :D