PDA

View Full Version : Apple (finally) getting its game on?

wraggster
May 27th, 2006, 18:16
The official story: Apple had not returned requests for comment as of press time.

What we heard: Of all the products on the market, few engender as much fanatical loyalty as the iPod. Sony was clearly hoping for something similar when it introduced the sleek PSP last March, touting the fact it played games and video, while the iPod didn't.

Last October, Apple removed one of those advantages when it launched the fifth-generation video iPods. Since then, speculation has swirled that the Silicon Valley company is readying an iPod which could play things other than Brick and Parachute, two of the rudimentary games which come on the ubiquitous handhelds.

This week, GameSpot learned that there may be more to the Apple-game rumors than mere Mac-mad daydreams. A tech-sector recruiter contacted the GS NewsDesk with an interesting story of a prospective hire that got away. Recently, when said recruiter made an offer to a software engineer, the engineer turned the offer down--saying he was being "heavily recruited by Apple."

According to the engineer, an Apple hiring manager named Mike Lampell is heading up a group inside Apple's storied iTunes division. The group is specifically hiring for "C/C++ coders with a ‘gaming background.’" The engineer says the project in question was described to him as "super secret," and Apple would not even tell him the exact nature of it until he had been hired and signed a non-disclosure agreement.

So how credible is this story? The recruiter's credentials are beyond reproach, leaving the engineer as the wild card. Currently, Apple is only publicly listing one position with "game" in the job title, a "Consumer & Games Partnership Manager" in its Santa Clara, California offices. Strangely though, when one searches for a position with "game" in its description on Apple's job-listing database, no results come up--even though the Consumer & Games Partnership Manager position has the word "game" in the text. A fairly exhaustive review of the software engineer positions found none looking for game experience.

However, the mention of Lampell gives the story some credibility. Lampell is a known developer who used to work at LucasArts, where he was a technical director on several major projects, including Star Wars Republic Commando. Lampell was laid off in August 2004 when LucasArts culled its development department in the first of a series of cost-cutting measures. However, GameSpot could not confirm his current employment at Apple, since attempts to elicit comment from the company had gone unanswered as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus?: If Apple is doing game R&D, it sure is doing a good job keeping it quiet.

Via Gamespot (http://us.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24660295&sid=6151954)

V3N0M
May 27th, 2006, 18:21
I wouldent be suspirsed if they came up with something. Maby a arcade but nothing like the psp. They should stick to what they do best... Make overly expensive MP3 players and now MP4 lol.

emuking
May 28th, 2006, 00:24
wow gaming ipod

cmstar
May 28th, 2006, 01:01
I can deffinately see this as being possible. The iPod is the hottest thing for Apple right now. They are even partnering with Nike to push iPod. With it being the premier portable platform right now it makes sence to keep pushing into other markets. Remember it started out as an mp3 player. Now it does music, movies, and Nike pedometer.

Also, Apple once partnered with Ban Dai to make the ill-fated Pippin game system.

bullhead
May 28th, 2006, 01:04
@emuking^^Dont be doing that, It wastes space. No offence.^^
If apple move into gaming it will be a dangerous move. I would worry about it becoming an mp3 player with a games feature and I wouldn't imagine it being a good competitor to sony or nintendo's systems.

Shilo
May 28th, 2006, 10:48
If Apple makes a gaming Ipod, I just might buy one :D

emuking
May 28th, 2006, 23:56
all i said was gaming ipod dont be scared of what will come, THE GPOD!!!