PDA

View Full Version : Program to move files 'in place'

quzar
October 18th, 2009, 06:48
I'm finding that I need to reorganize a large amount of data that spans a few hard drives. The biggest problem I'm having though is that each drive has relatively little free space. I'm looking for a method (in Win7) to 'swap' sets of files 'in place'. That is to say, I have one 100GB folder 'pictures' on drive A and one 100GB folder 'documents' on drive B, only 15GB free on each, and want to switch the drives they are on.

When I've had to do this before it involved multiple chunks ('A-J' first, etc) but that is time consuming (from an interaction standpoint), and the actual numbers in play here are more like 250GB to move and only 6-10GB free space. Alternatively, a method of 'queuing' file moves would work too.

Thanks.

quzar
October 23rd, 2009, 08:42
c'mon folks, nothing? not a clue? It's clear what I want to do right? I tried a few different file managers (most of which were started on in win95 days) and even though they had lots of features (the highest touted was mass-rename) I haven't found this (or it is in some sort of different form/different name).

the_eternal_dark
October 24th, 2009, 00:53
quzar, I'm not sure if there is anything for Windows 7 that can do what explorer can do out of the box. Then again, I'm also not planning to use 7 at all anyway (other than testing in a VM for system building/customizing/etc).

Have you tried Total Commander or xplorer˛ yet? I used them in RC1 in virtualbox, they seem to do some of the advanced stuff found in explorer but quicker/easier. Both offer a "free" version, or you can find the full versions out on the web elsewhere.

quzar
October 24th, 2009, 02:16
I tried Total Commander and couldn't find any feature like what I'm looking for. I'll take a look at xplorer2, but it seems as though I may have to write up a tool to do something like this -_-.

the_eternal_dark
October 24th, 2009, 02:54
Good luck man, I don't know of anything else that can do it from Windows, at least not free, and honestly, I haven't tried anything else.