PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Snes9X Euphoria R1 - Speed!

Zack
October 18th, 2009, 22:07
Via : RetroEmu (http://www.retroemu.com/forum)

So I have been working on this for a bit tonight (I am really sick atm :()

However I did feel well enough to at least get out of bed for a few hours and wrap up Snes9X Euphoria for a release.
It is based off the last version of Snes9xTyl by rukka.

My main objective for this version was speed. A lot more can still be done to optimize the emulator and get more speed, but for now (given my health) this will have to do :)

http://retroemu.com/imgs/snes9.jpg

The only game I have tested with my version is Kirby Super Star, which I know had terrible FPS with other Snes9X releases (usually < 30Fps)

With my build, using the following settings, Kirby Super Star runs @ a minimum of 44Fps and a max of 60fps with the usual fps being 50fps.

Settings :

Renderer : PSP Accelerated
FrameSkip : 3

This does not generate a jerky experience, it finally feels playable :)

Other testing :

Donkey Kong Country : Same settings as above :
Min FPS : 58
Max FPS : 60

The speedups should be global, every game should be a lot faster now

Future :

I plan on improving speed more, improving stability and applying the changes from Snes9X1.51 to Snes9X euphoria also (which is running off the 1.42 code base)

I hope you enjoy this release and if you have any bugs please post them in the : Snes9X Euphoria - Official Forum (http://www.retroemu.com/forum/index.php?/forum/10-snes9x-euphoria/)

There seems to be some graphical bugs in the menus in Kirby Super Star (and maybe other games), these will be fixed in later revisions.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the release :)

Download Via Attachment

wraggster
October 18th, 2009, 22:11
hey zack, nice release, nice to see someone take on the mantle of Snes emulation on the PSP :)

Zack
October 18th, 2009, 22:16
hey zack, nice release, nice to see someone take on the mantle of Snes emulation on the PSP :)

I have only scratched the surface, there is a hell of a lot more that can and will be done to speed up this emulator and make it more stable.

Just give me time ;)

darthhaze420
October 18th, 2009, 22:32
hey i will start testing games and post results hope i can help i have full rom set for snes anybody want me to test a rom just ask

star fox starts up plays with only pink screen at 49 fps
with mario kart set at psp accel + approx, soft. runs good bounces from 45 to 60 fps
killer instinct now runs full 60 fps
super mario world 2 is almost full speed now 45-55 fps
mortal kombat 3 runs at a full 60fps
mortal kombat 2 when picking fighter screen goes black but when fighting full 60 fps
primal rage runs full 60 fps

M-Lin
October 18th, 2009, 22:39
This is great news and what I've tested looks great - but one thing - Super Mario Kart is slow on everything except PSP accelerated, but that turns half the screen black - it's a real tease because the speed looks amazing - can't wait for future releases - great work!

EDIT: I have to hard reset my PSP after playing a few different games - it doesn't crash, it just wont let me exit the last game without a hard reset

Zack
October 18th, 2009, 22:54
This is great news and what I've tested looks great - but one thing - Super Mario Kart is slow on everything except PSP accelerated, but that turns half the screen black - it's a real tease because the speed looks amazing - can't wait for future releases - great work!

Try :

psp accel + approx, soft.
Frameskip : 3.

I got a constant 60fps on the first track with those settings.

M-Lin
October 18th, 2009, 23:12
Try :

psp accel + approx, soft.
Frameskip : 3.

I got a constant 60fps on the first track with those settings.

Thanks for the tip - I found fs 3 a bit choppy - so went down to 1 and it plays really nicely - about 57 fps in the GP with other drivers, and 60-61 constant on time trial alone.

It's still buggy, but this is looking to be the best snes emu on the psp by far - nice1!

Eviltaco64
October 18th, 2009, 23:48
How did I not see this thread? :eek:

I've been waiting for the PSP to emulate Kirby Superstar at a playable speed. I'm definitely trying this out!

Keep up the good work, Zack. :)

Zack
October 18th, 2009, 23:53
How did I not see this thread? :eek:

I've been waiting for the PSP to emulate Kirby Superstar at a playable speed. I'm definitely trying this out!

Keep up the good work, Zack. :)

Ya I was too, and got sick of waiting so I'm making it happen xD.

kando
October 18th, 2009, 23:59
Zach, you are the man! You haev the same minset as me, its like im tired of waiting for someone else to do it, so why not do it myself? tho this project would be way out of my league, thank god you are working on this :DD

cheers!!

kenny789
October 19th, 2009, 00:04
Great work! I'm gonna try it in a min. Hope you start feeling better

Eviltaco64
October 19th, 2009, 00:07
Well, I've been testing it out. I turned off fixed color, window clipping, add/sub modes, and palette writes.

Even on frameskip 0, it ran pretty fast! On frameskip 1/2 it's nearly fullspeed! Good work. :)

havoc_012
October 19th, 2009, 00:33
Amazing.:)

kando
October 19th, 2009, 01:01
hehe you added some saves and savestates too in the save folder ^__^

but WOW thats a speed increase! chrono trigger, FF4/6, SMW2...this is great!!!

symbal
October 19th, 2009, 01:17
Zack i don't know if you able or even slightly interested, but if you could manage a few optimised single game emulators based on Daedalusx64 for those few games for those few games most of us want you would be an absolute legend, btw i also sent this letter to Santa but i never heard any Christmas carols about Elves programming skills.

Zack
October 19th, 2009, 01:18
hehe you added some saves and savestates too in the save folder ^__^

but WOW thats a speed increase! chrono trigger, FF4/6, SMW2...this is great!!!

Getting a full constant (no dips) 60fps on Kirby and StarFox are my two biggest goals.

mungrin
October 19th, 2009, 01:43
It doesnt like one of my rom folders.When i go to it PSP crashes.Its the same rom folder ive used withh all other snes emulators.I cant seem to get it to work with only this certain rom folder.Theres is a rom in the folder that this emulator doesnt like and crashes.

dieselboy27
October 19th, 2009, 01:43
Does this coder have a twitter where I can follow?

I tried to run Mario Kart on this and it doesn't play. I can get through the menu but once the race starts the graphics mess up.

mungrin
October 19th, 2009, 01:49
amazing emulator the best snes emu on psp by far to date.All the weird games that i could never fun at playable speeds now run at 60 fps.

B2K24
October 19th, 2009, 01:52
Thank you very much Zack for your release.
I hope you feel better
Thanks so much for your work

GameBoiye
October 19th, 2009, 02:02
Thanks Zack, very much appriciated.

Just on a side note, the one game that runs increadably slow still that I was sad didn't see an improvement is Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Demension. still only getting 5-8 frames a second, which is odd seeing as how every other game runs much better than that.

Just wonder if you might be able to add a hack to make it playable or if you think the current increase you are doing to get Kirby and Starfox running might help?

mik101
October 19th, 2009, 02:45
It doesnt like one of my rom folders.When i go to it PSP crashes.Its the same rom folder ive used withh all other snes emulators.I cant seem to get it to work with only this certain rom folder.Theres is a rom in the folder that this emulator doesnt like and crashes.

Are you running the game categories plugin perhaps? I am and it tells me theres an error and i should verify my memory stick. I suspect it has to do with the location remapping for the plugin. It too crashes when I have my rom folder in a separate place (so it can find it even though its own folder is invisable in the filemenu).

The only SNES emulator ive tried on my slim with m33-6 and genb-2 that doesn't crash is the original version of this emulator. All modified versions crash for me.

bibininibibi
October 19th, 2009, 03:27
not work.

CFW5.50GEN-B&CFW5.50GEN-C

Eviltaco64
October 19th, 2009, 03:30
not work.

CFW5.50GEN-B&CFW5.50GEN-C

Extract the .zip, put the SNES9x_Euphoria_R1 folder in the PSP's GAME folder and roms in the emulators folder. Problem solved. :P

M-Lin
October 19th, 2009, 04:04
Are you running the game categories plugin perhaps? I am and it tells me theres an error and i should verify my memory stick. I suspect it has to do with the location remapping for the plugin. It too crashes when I have my rom folder in a separate place (so it can find it even though its own folder is invisable in the filemenu).

I have a folder called "SNES roms" in the PSP folder (ms0/PSP/SNES roms) This emulator doesn't like it when it first runs, but after selecting it they always show up when it boots now. I'm using game categories too. hope that helps.

darthhaze420
October 19th, 2009, 04:45
im not running game cat plugin but i am useing a 16 gb SD ultra 2 and it will not read the roms from the rom dir as well but like m-lin i just set up a snes rom folder in root and it works fine

Dembonz
October 19th, 2009, 05:15
Thanks Zack! I can't wait to try it out. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

B2K24
October 19th, 2009, 05:36

you need to keep under 200 roms per folder to keep the emulator from crashing.
Just make sub directories and don't exceed 200 and it won't crash.

havoc_012
October 19th, 2009, 05:46
Tested some games.

Mario Kart - 36 fps PSP Accel. + accur. soft.

Donkey Kong Country - 1st stage 28-30 fps, 2nd Stage 44-47 fps Accurate Soft

Donkey Kong Country 2 - 1st Stage 54-60 fps 2nd Stage 60fps Accurate Soft

Yoshi's Island - 38-43 fps PSP Accel.

Tetris Attack - 28fps PSP Accurate.

Arkanoid - 60fps PSP Accel. + approx. soft.

Mario RPG - 60fps Map, 51-55 fps Battle, PSP Accel.

Castlevania: Dracula X - 1st Screen 60fps, Staircase 42fps PSP Accel.

mik101
October 19th, 2009, 06:28
Tried a few things again, ie not changing the folder name, tried it in GAME and GAME5XX on GENB2 and it crashes when loading roms folder every time, no matter where they are.

PSP-2001
5.50GENB2 (did same thing on GENC)
GameCategoriesPluginV7
8GB Sony MSProDuo

B2K24
October 19th, 2009, 06:40
I get no crashes on 5.00 M33 with roughly 180 roms per folder. I have ROMS ROMS2 ROMS3 ROMS4 folders inside
Snes9X_Euphoria_R1 folder installed to PSP/GAME

Mr. Shizzy
October 19th, 2009, 07:48
This is big news for the PSP scene !! :D

Thanks Zack. This has made my night :)

mik101
October 19th, 2009, 09:27
I get no crashes on 5.00 M33 with roughly 180 roms per folder. I have ROMS ROMS2 ROMS3 ROMS4 folders inside
Snes9X_Euphoria_R1 folder installed to PSP/GAME

I'll have to try cutting down on the roms per folder. Right now its one folder with ~700 in it. The folder loads fine with the old 0.4.2mcem release.

Jinx1337
October 19th, 2009, 11:02
Zack, I adore you.

Can't type no more, gotta go and test it ASAP. I'm literally salivating now.

SmashinGit
October 19th, 2009, 13:25
Thanks Zack, really appreciated!

Just tested a few games and I am getting some excellent results!

The settings I am using are PSP accel. + approx. soft. with frameskip 1.

Kirby's Avalanche I had to remove the battery as the home button would not work, but hey, I can live with that.

hadokenakuma
October 19th, 2009, 14:02
Super castlevania 4, killer instinct, and shin kidoh senshi gundamwing endless duel work great on a psp 3000!

Can't wait for a more stable release! Great Job!

mungrin
October 19th, 2009, 14:03
I got my folder to work and this is what I did.I took all the roms out of the folder.Then I put them in a new folder.Deleted the old empty folder and bam it now opens fine

O-bake
October 19th, 2009, 15:19
What a nice surprise, after such a long time, my favourite system emulator gets a nice update :)

Thank you very much and get better soon. I was just sick and was lying in bed for three days with fever myself.

chris-007
October 19th, 2009, 15:50
hey i will start testing games and post results hope i can help i have full rom set for snes anybody want me to test a rom just ask

star fox starts up plays with only pink screen at 49 fps
with mario kart set at psp accel + approx, soft. runs good bounces from 45 to 60 fps
killer instinct now runs full 60 fps
super mario world 2 is almost full speed now 45-55 fps
mortal kombat 3 runs at a full 60fps
mortal kombat 2 when picking fighter screen goes black but when fighting full 60 fps
primal rage runs full 60 fps

Frameskip 0 ?
333MHz ?

Mario Kart on original SnesPSP TYL V0.4.2me: ~40fps (approx soft, frameskip 0, 333MHz), ~ 60fps with frameskip 1

Memfis
October 19th, 2009, 16:16
First, I want to say a big thank you for your work.

I´ve tested some games (detailed, not just a little). I dont use hacked or modified roms and I also dont use frameskip (I think is not a clear answer)

I will make a list in the next days. Here a first look.

I think for now, that this emulator is not realy better, than the last (Snes9xTYLsmcm Test 5 27/05/08), but I also think, that Zack can do it, if we give him feedback and time. I hope that he will make a good emulator to an near perfect emulator and that some more games will be work in fullspeed at the end, (Super Mario Kart or perhaps some FX-Games, like Stunt Race FX for exapmle)

mik101
October 19th, 2009, 19:02
Found the bug. Put too many roms in the folder and it'll crash. As soon as i separated my roms into a few folders all was good.
Speedups are nice. :)

Zack
October 19th, 2009, 19:15
Found the bug. Put too many roms in the folder and it'll crash. As soon as i separated my roms into a few folders all was good.
Speedups are nice. :)

I think I may have fixed that bug now. Along with the random freeze-ups/hangs when returning to the menu.

Only public testing can confirm that though. I will be releasing another version soon-ish :thumbup:

SmashinGit
October 19th, 2009, 19:31
Great news!

demonolith
October 20th, 2009, 02:17
sweeeeet!

hack.fool
October 20th, 2009, 14:59
Thanks a bunch Zack!!!
I tested some of my fav game and there's some speed increase in some game;
Chrono Trigger got 1-2 frame increase but the screen got some refresh issue..
Killer Instinct also got some speed up

anyway the home button don't work very well, sometimes you have to push it more than once but this happen just when the emu is "under pressure"..

anyway that's the way!!!!
keep up the good work and thanks!!

Zack
October 20th, 2009, 15:06
Thanks a bunch Zack!!!
I tested some of my fav game and there's some speed increase in some game;
Chrono Trigger got 1-2 frame increase but the screen got some refresh issue..
Killer Instinct also got some speed up

anyway the home button don't work very well, sometimes you have to push it more than once but this happen just when the emu is "under pressure"..

anyway that's the way!!!!
keep up the good work and thanks!!

Hi :)

Yeah that bug where you sometimes cannot return to the menu is fixed now.

Also the menu being slow when the cube was enabled or music was enabled (or both) is now fast :)

Bras
October 20th, 2009, 21:10
Hey Zack, i saw your thread on retroemu and i was wondering if you could port some emulators from 1.5 kernel to 3.xx kernel. O_o

Just wondering if it is possible.

Zack
October 20th, 2009, 22:57
Hey Zack, i saw your thread on retroemu and i was wondering if you could port some emulators from 1.5 kernel to 3.xx kernel. O_o

Just wondering if it is possible.

If the source code for them is available then yes ;)

Veskgar
October 21st, 2009, 05:37
Thanks so much Zack! Very few threads generate so many posts and excitement these days. Anything you are doing to keep people excited about emulation on the PSP is a welcome contribution.

Keep up the great work!

B2K24
October 21st, 2009, 06:21
Thanks so much Zack! Very few threads generate so many posts and excitement these days. Anything you are doing to keep people excited about emulation on the PSP is a welcome contribution.

Keep up the great work!

I 100% agree, very well said.

kharaboudjan
October 21st, 2009, 09:09
fantastic! even though there is not that much speed up yet so is this fantastic news that many of us has been waiting for years, just that something is being done to the SNES emulation on the psp is great! im 100 % sure that youcan do a lotof great stuff to this emulator :)

Good luck!