PDA

View Full Version : I want to setup a DC LAN! HELP ME!

balzaK
July 23rd, 2004, 02:18
Hey, whatsup?

First of all, if a mod sees this thread and thinks it belongs in another section, don't hesitate to move it.

Ok... Lately, I've really wanted to play multiplayer games on my Dreamcast (and Saturn) on seperate TV's and systems in different rooms of my house. I think It'd be sweet to play games like Phantasy Star Online and Outtrigger like this. But as far as I know, Dreamcast doesn't have any sort of "system link cable", so the only obvious way to do this would be to get two Dreamcasts with broadband adapters and try to setup a LAN. However, I wouldn't even know if this would work or not and plus the rare broadband adapters are waaaaayyy out of my pricerange.

So I've been fumbling around the internet trying to find usefull information to help me do this a cheaper way. So far, the best thing I've found is this, wich I almost accidently stumbled upon:
http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/DCWinMEServer.htm

That is a tutorial telling you how to use your Dreamcast's 56k modem to connect to your PC, allowing you to utilize your PC's broadband connection. I guess it's still limited to 56k, but according to the tutorial it's actually a lot faster then just dialing straight to your ISP via phonline for a number of reasons.

Anyway, this tutorial looks like a good start, but it isn't ecactly what I'm looking for. Like I said before, I would want to play all the online games like Quake 3 arena, Outtrigger, and especially Phantasy Star online with players in other rooms of MY house. I want to avoid going online even, plus I doubt there are even any servers left for these games...

Can anyone give me some input on how to do this, or maybe why or why not they think it would work? But really, ANY input is apreciated. THANKS!

Also, if anyone wants to discuss this over AIM/Email, let me know and I'll hook you up with my contact info.

Athiril
August 24th, 2004, 09:56
DC Broadband adapter + router/switch = DC Lan, hook a number of DCs up to to it, all with broadband adapters, run Unreal Tournament server on pc (correct version for DC, i think GoTY 432 *may* work), there you can play UT on DC over lan, plus PCs can join in on the lan, and over the net too etc :D :D :D (you'll probably need the router to be a DHCP server, which all routers should be too... or if you have a hub/switch, set a PC up to be a DHCP server...)

When I start making my games on DC (I'm not a n00b, I'm a C++ coder, and I like to use SDL, just waiting on my DC still!, chose economoy shipping overseas from the U.S doh!), they'll be LAN compatible :D

Mental2k
August 24th, 2004, 17:54
Um, he said he couldn't afford the BBA, never mind an entire collection of them. I too am interested in somethin like this thoough. Me and mates could bring DCs round and have lan parties with relatively few pcs.

Athiril
August 25th, 2004, 00:28
I know for a fact DC Unreal Tournament players and PC Unreal Tournament players can play together, just need the right version (i'm hoping GoTY 432 is compatible as it's supposed to be backwards compatible, but 436 isn't), DC users can also connect to a PC UT server, which means LAN too!, btw, I haven't got DC UT yet.... (i love UT GoTY), can you use keyboard + mouse to play it?

kit786
August 25th, 2004, 07:11
I think a cable was released that allowed you to connect 2 dc together, but was only supported by a few games like Ferrari 355 challenge and Virtua On. As far as I'm aware none of the games you want to play via LAN where not compatable but no harm in trying. Here is a link to where you can buy one of those cables:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=29&products_id=592&

Hope that is of some help.

Mental2k
August 25th, 2004, 16:27
I suppose it could be done by hacking the games, and the way they access the net, but thats illegal. However if we did know how they connected to the net would it be possible to run a crossover modem cable into your pc's modem/network card and then trick the DC into thinkin its dialin the net? then use your pc as a hubof many DCs?