PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Snes9X Euphoria R2 - Bugfixes galore

Zack
October 21st, 2009, 01:56
Via RetroEmu (http://www.retroemu.com)

Hey everyone. I would first of all like to say thank you for all the positive response towards my work and for all the bug reports.

For the record, I know I have been stated as saying use frameskip 3 to get good speed, but even without it it is faster than the previous snes emulator releases. I re-wrote parts of the renderer, I didn't just hike up frameskip and claim mine was faster. This might not be the case for every game and might not be by much, but it is faster.

Also I'm not doing this for a popularity stunt, or just to claim "mines better than yours". I am doing this because I love the Snes and want to see it emulated at proper speed on the PSP and was sad to see it abandoned. I do not claim to be the worlds greatest coder, or emulation guru. Like everyone else I am learning on a daily basis. Programming is a hobby for me, I don't do it for a living. I know there is a lot more work to be done, so please bear with me.

This build isn't really any faster than the previous one, it's mainly a stability release. I will be back to speed improvements in the next release.

Changes :

[+] Bug where you couldn't have more than 200 roms in the ROMS folder or the emulator would crash is now fixed. (I tested with 800 roms in there)

[+] Bug where the emulator would freeze then hard-power-off your PSP after trying to load more than 3 roms is now fixed. (I tried loading rom after rom at least 12 times with no issues)

[+] Bug where you couldn't return to the menu after running a game is now fixed. (thank god lol)

[+] Bug where emulator would hard-power-off PSP when exiting rather than return to the Xmb is now fixed (both in file menu and main menu)

[+] Bug where the emulator wouldn't start on Gen firmware fixed (tested by myself on 5.50GenC and Cmbeke on 5.50GenB)

[+] Possible minor speedups from code cleanup.

[+] Removed the intro screen for now. (will be configurable in the next build)

[+] Added the latest version of the snesadvance.dat file (Adds more speedhacks)

So that's it. It finally seems stable, I know this emulator has a bad rep for being terribly unstable but it really seems solid now.

I hope you enjoy this release and if you have any bugs please post them in the : Snes9X Euphoria - Official Forum (http://www.retroemu.com/forum/index.php?/forum/10-snes9x-euphoria/)

Note : To get the best performance I recommend the following settings :

Render : PSP Accelerated
Frameskip : 3 (frameskip @ 1 seems to be sufficient for most games to play at 60fps)

Note : The PSP Accelerated renderer can be buggy, it works fine in most games but certain games may have graphical errors which render them unplayable. If this happens I recommend switching to the PSP Accelerated + Aprox soft renderer.

Thanks!

If you downloaded the R2 release, please download the new R2.1 release as it fixes a bug with loading a new rom (it would crash the psp) - Same link

Download via attachment

demonolith
October 21st, 2009, 02:09
Awesome! Can't wait to try it out, I'll post my results on your forum :)

joshx1000
October 21st, 2009, 02:52
I agree with you zack u made wolfenstien 3d work correct on psp and I think it's great that you want to see snes fullspeed on psp on all games hell I would help you if I could but I don't know how to code but Im glad to see your doin this to have our dreams of a perfec snes emu on psp anyways great release.

caffeinekid
October 21st, 2009, 02:54
I don't suppose (fingers crossed etc) that this version finally supports sleep mode? :)

Keep truckin' you are right that the PSP deserves a fast and stable SNES emulator. More power to your coding elbow! :)

Zack
October 21st, 2009, 03:01
I don't suppose (fingers crossed etc) that this version finally supports sleep mode? :)

Keep truckin' you are right that the PSP deserves a fast and stable SNES emulator. More power to your coding elbow! :)

I haven't looked into the sleep mode issue yet, sorry :)

walliester
October 21st, 2009, 03:38
bro major props for having your time for doing this. you don't know how much i love the snes, i still have it with me in the closet,again keep it up ..your doing a great job .

Brainy142
October 21st, 2009, 03:45
Hey Zack I have a MAJOR BUG REPORT FOR YA.

The version R1 completely nuked my data on my memory stick. I got a read error I got a read error when booting, tried it for a game, exited and poof all my data was gone :( I didn't have a back up of my psp game saves so their gone :(.

On the + side the one rom I did play Rom beautifully.

NeoXCS
October 21st, 2009, 03:45
It's amazing to see someone working on snes again. If the PSP is missing something, I'd say it is a great snes emulator. Thank you for taking the time to work on this and show us just how possible it is to see our favorite games on the go at great speeds.

Eviltaco64
October 21st, 2009, 04:04
Will be testing! Nice to see an update so soon. :)

darthhaze420
October 21st, 2009, 06:14
man zack you work fast thanks for all the work you get much love & respect from all of us who doesn't love snes

B2K24
October 21st, 2009, 06:16
Thanks Zack, Awesome release :)
800+ roms in 1 folder is awesome.
No problems at all on my end.

mik101
October 21st, 2009, 07:17
Thank you so much for your work Zack. I've been hoping someone would fix the bug for loading more than 200roms in a folder for a while. Your's definitely isnt the only TYL version with the bug.
Keep up the great work!

Fredd543
October 21st, 2009, 08:22
Hello Zack,

BIG THANKS to you - keep up your good work !!!

Greetings,
Fredd543

Zack
October 21st, 2009, 12:59
You're welcome everyone.

Please let me know if you find any new bugs or re-occurrences of any of the ones I thought I fixed :)

fpcreator2000
October 21st, 2009, 14:53
Big difference than the last snes9xTYL release, but it seems to have some slowdowns (especially in Super Mario RPG when transitioning from one room to another, but the game is running perfect other than that).

Auriman1
October 21st, 2009, 15:59
Here's a bug I'm encountering:

It keeps spitting out an "error reading memstick" message at me when I start it up. I have to click through that message several times before it lets me in, then it works fine.

Never had this problem with the Snes9xTYL releases.

Just for reference, I'm running a PSP-1000 with a 4GB Sandisk card on 5.50Gen-B, putting it in the GAME folder.

Zack
October 21st, 2009, 16:04

It keeps spitting out an "error reading memstick" message at me when I start it up. I have to click through that message several times before it lets me in, then it works fine.

Wally had the same problem, He had to format his MS :/

I haven't touched anything that should cause this to happen either. I will look into it however

Maybe just removing the message might help. Hard to test since it never happens to me :/

Mista Grimm
October 21st, 2009, 16:14

Just for reference, I'm running a PSP-1000 with a 4GB Sandisk card on 5.50Gen-C, putting it in the GAME folder.

5.50 Gen-C is so buggy that i wouldnt be surprised if its the actual firmware causing the memory stick read problems. jus saying.

And by the way Zack, very good release man, your really respected for your dedication to all your material you make :)

Auriman1
October 21st, 2009, 16:20
5.50 Gen-C is so buggy that i wouldnt be surprised if its the actual firmware causing the memory stick read problems. jus saying.

Whoops, I meant to say Gen-B. Better correct that...

Auriman1
October 21st, 2009, 16:32
After some quick investigation, I'll have to agree with Mista Grimm, it's probably an issue being caused by the cfw (I just checked a previously working version of Snes9xTYL, it now had the same problem).

I guess I'll just try formatting the memory stick, see if that clears it up.

Zack
October 21st, 2009, 17:08
After some quick investigation, I'll have to agree with Mista Grimm, it's probably an issue being caused by the cfw (I just checked a previously working version of Snes9xTYL, it now had the same problem).

I guess I'll just try formatting the memory stick, see if that clears it up.

Thanks for telling me :)

I will wait for clarification before investigating, because as I said I haven't added or changed any code that should attribute to causing an error like that :)

israelg
October 21st, 2009, 17:16
Strange artifacts in the first level ....

And I can't change the rendering engine it's always

return back to PSP accl.

Jinx1337
October 21st, 2009, 17:44
Zack, what version of SNESADVANCE.DAT have you included with your build? Is this the latest version compiled by Mog123 with incorporated, psp specific hacks? I posted it in another thread, somewhere on DCemu this month.

Zack
October 21st, 2009, 18:03
Zack, what version of SNESADVANCE.DAT have you included with your build? Is this the latest version compiled by Mog123 with incorporated, psp specific hacks?

Yup :cool:

mik101
October 21st, 2009, 18:19

Just for reference, I'm running a PSP-1000 with a 4GB Sandisk card on 5.50Gen-B, putting it in the GAME folder.

You shouldnt have to reformat. Make a new folder (even inside the snes euphoria folder, and then cut and paste youre roms there).
It will probably still give you the error the first time you run it (since the roms wont be where it expects them to be) but on subsequent runs i stopped getting the error without having to reformat the memory stick.

Auriman1
October 21st, 2009, 19:30
Well, both formatting my memory stick and changing to 5.00M33-6 didn't solve my problem.

HOWEVER, after some research, I figured out the reason I thought my most recent version of Snes9XTYL hadn't been previously causing problems (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254128) was because I had simply been patching in the eboot.pbp, homehook.prx, mediaengine.prx, and snesadvance.dat files into the already existing folder I got from this version: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115824&highlight=snes9xtyl.

I have no idea what's the real root of the problem, but this set-up stopped it from occuring any more. As a note, if I changed the folder name from Snes9xTYL, the problem would still occur. If anyone else is experiencing this problem, I attached the folder I concocted which fixed the problem to this post.
ANYWAY, keep up the good work, Zack, your efforts are appreciated! :)

B2K24
October 21st, 2009, 20:30
I only got the error with memorystick the very first time running the emu. Once you hit square or triangle then point it to roms folder the emu remembers.

formatting the stick or changing firmwares should not be necessary and the message should be changed to
point the path to roms folder

Auriman1
October 21st, 2009, 20:40
I'd tried restarting several times after loading a rom, it simply wouldn't remember the directory.

Ah well, problem solved either way. I'm diggin' the speed-ups to Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dream Land 3 :)

BabaBlackSheep
October 21st, 2009, 23:34
Hi. I registered just to post in this thread and say thanks, Zack, for your work.

Unfortunately, I'm having a few issues with the R2 where the R1 worked wonders. For example, getting into the menu takes considerable more time in the R2, with an additional 1-2 second delay. I'm not quit sure how that peeped in. Additionally, I don't seem to be able to change the video engine from PSP Accelerated to the other options, either. I find that Contra III actually ran slower with the default settings, and so when I compared the two I found that R1 had Frameskip 0. That helped tons.

Overall, though, great work!

Viral Decadent
October 22nd, 2009, 10:58
If you keep working, this may turn out to be the best SNES emulator on the psp yet. Keep it up my friend.

bosshunter
October 23rd, 2009, 21:47
Nice work there Zack! Thank you for this awesome release.

One thing I found is that if you save a game (on a save point, not save state) and the psp crashes - when you turn the psp back on, you will notice that the game save is gone..
I think its because when you save the game, it writes onto the psp memory and only writes to the ms when you exit the emulator to the xmb.

Its not really much of a big deal, cuz save state writes to ms instantly. But for those who have little brothers and dont know how to save state...
Zack, is there a way to fix this? o:

Zack
October 24th, 2009, 00:25
Nice work there Zack! Thank you for this awesome release.

One thing I found is that if you save a game (on a save point, not save state) and the psp crashes - when you turn the psp back on, you will notice that the game save is gone..
I think its because when you save the game, it writes onto the psp memory and only writes to the ms when you exit the emulator to the xmb.

Its not really much of a big deal, cuz save state writes to ms instantly. But for those who have little brothers and dont know how to save state...
Zack, is there a way to fix this? o:

Yeah I noticed that myself too. I'm sure it can be fixed and will look into it :)

Thanks for bringing it up!

Jinx1337
October 24th, 2009, 00:42
Zack, might I suggest you use prettier icon0-1/pic1 files for your newest version?

I know I sound like a goddamn dick now, but I dislike the background/icon you've used for your version.

It took me quite some time to googlecache-find some some really old, yet awesome icon1.pmf (in the spirit of PSPUAE's icon1.pmf).
Sure, I can edit them myself but I thought you'd love these yourself (especially the awesome icon.pmf).

Check these files out.

Just trying to help.

Jinx1337
October 24th, 2009, 00:43
Forgot to add the files.

Kyros
October 24th, 2009, 01:39
Ahh...the gold ol days, there back! I haven't been on here in so long...thank you Zack, you made me pick up my :blows away dust: PSP again...get ready to be a Legend.

Zack
October 25th, 2009, 13:51
Forgot to add the files.

Thanks I will check them out. There is a new eboot icon and pic1 already made and they are now encorperated into the eboot (you guys will have it in R3). More info and screens : http://www.retroemu.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46-eboot-background-competition

Ahh...the gold ol days, there back! I haven't been on here in so long...thank you Zack, you made me pick up my :blows away dust: PSP again...get ready to be a Legend.

Your welcome :)

Jinx1337
October 25th, 2009, 17:14
Thanks I will check them out. There is a new eboot icon and pic1 already made and they are now encorperated into the eboot (you guys will have it in R3). More info and screens : http://www.retroemu.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46-eboot-background-competition

I would have posted these on your forums if I knew you had a survey going on.

I am almost 100% positive that once you see the icon.pmf animation you'll definately add it by default. Took me quite some time to dig it up after accidentally deleting it once.

Cheers and once more, thank you for the amazing work.
Best thing is, Zack's not the kind of guy to abandon his projects folks!

Best regards.

PS.
Zack, are you still in touch with ChillyWilly? Is he still planning his eduke32-PSP project? Some folks from the eduke32 team wanted to contact him to help and even include the possible, future PSP ver to the official project's branch. Just wondering if I can still hope for that thing to come true one day.

Zack
October 25th, 2009, 17:52
Forgot to add the files.

I would have posted these on your forums if I knew you had a survey going on.

I am almost 100% positive that once you see the icon.pmf animation you'll definately add it by default. Took me quite some time to dig it up after accidentally deleting it once.

Cheers and once more, thank you for the amazing work.
Best thing is, Zack's not the kind of guy to abandon his projects folks!

Best regards.

PS.
Zack, are you still in touch with ChillyWilly? Is he still planning his eduke32-PSP project? Some folks from the eduke32 team wanted to contact him to help and even include the possible, future PSP ver to the official project's branch. Just wondering if I can still hope for that thing to come true one day.

I will try that pmf :)

Haven't heard from him in a while.
He is still around though apparently :)

juiceface
November 2nd, 2009, 23:28
awesome release, mario kart plays at 1 frameskip very very well rather than 3 now.