PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Of the Next-Gen Controllers

wraggster
May 28th, 2006, 20:59
Gamedaily (http://www.gamedaily.com/features/?id=1010&page=1)did this article on the next gen controllers, heres there findings:

360 Controller

The Xbox 360 controller isn't anything blazingly new in terms of control, but a fine modified version of the Controller S pad into wireless form that provides a great deal of comfort and ease of control. Something could be done to prolong the battery life or at least give an indication as to when it needs a change, but past that little setback, this is a great controller that works with a number of game types, be it a complex first-person shooter like Gears of War or a simple card game such as Uno.

PS3 Controller

Sony's PS3 controller has a long way to go. Despite the fact that it has gyroscopic features built in and returns to the same old Dual Shock formula that the previous controllers did, it feels cheaply put together and seems to have most of its innovation borrowed from that other competitor, the Nintendo Wii. There's not really an original hook here to keep gamers thinking that the PS3 is innovative, even though the controller has that sense of comfort. Fortunately, the very final edition will see Sony giving it a little heft and a push of originality.

Wii Controller

The Nintendo Wii-mote is a solid controller and a grealy designed tool that should help boost the company back into the next-generation race. The system itself could use a little more of a technical boost to live up to this peripheral's potential, and some of the games aren't as smooth controlling as others (playing Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam with a sideways Wii-mote takes getting used to), but it still plays wonderfully and could lead the way for a new direction as to how games are played. Hell, even Sony's stealing some ideas.

Conclusion

So who's the overall winner? Well, actually, I sense a tie between the Nintendo Wii-mote and the Xbox 360 controller. Both of them seem to offer a great deal of comfort and style in the way they handle, all without having to worry about some damn wires and with decent (if unnoticeable) battery life. They're both different in their own way, but they both work really well at what they do. As for Sony, well, they have a long way to go before they get back on the brazen path that their Dual Shocks have beaten over the years. Maybe we'll see a redesign next year that'll hold the fort just as well as Microsoft and Nintendo's controllers do.

Cooe14
May 29th, 2006, 00:47
I totally agree.

Shilo
May 29th, 2006, 04:18
I agree too! I love the Xbox 360's S-controller, and I love the Wii's controler! I hope Sony kicks it into high gear and works on there crapy controler :p

jstush04
May 29th, 2006, 05:33
awww, so sony isnt releasing the boomerang??? i was really looking forward to that

Shilo
May 29th, 2006, 06:00
awww, so sony isnt releasing the boomerang??? i was really looking forward to that

I was looking forward to it to, so I could throw it and it would come back to me :D (or hit me in the head :().

Cooe14
May 29th, 2006, 06:10
I bet the PS3 would have kept the boomerang it would have sold great "down unda" :p
It could also be used as a weapon and Sony couldn't sell it to people under 16 :D lol

stotheamuel
May 29th, 2006, 07:15
hmm i think itll be hard to use the nintendo remote for a lot of games... sometimes i like to rest my arms low... or stretch.. and i dont want it to happen on screen....

and i dont really think sony stole the idea

Shilo
May 29th, 2006, 08:28
I bet the PS3 would have kept the boomerang it would have sold great "down unda" :p
It could also be used as a weapon and Sony couldn't sell it to people under 16 :D lol

It is 3:27 AM here in Luray Virgina in the USA and after I read that..................... I almost fell out of my chair :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ROFLMAO LOL ROFL LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azz1844
May 29th, 2006, 19:59
and i dont really think sony stole the idea

They DIDN'T steal the idea?? So no mention of a motion-sensor device at all, and suddenly after Nintendo unveils their's and people start praising it and saying how it will distinguish the console from others, Sony's controller suddenly has one crudely implemented into it?...
HMMM...

El_Mariachi
May 29th, 2006, 23:04
considering what a poor job they did at putting a motion sensor into their controller they made it rather obvious they stole the idea because they sure didn't plan that

JebJoya
May 30th, 2006, 06:31
Weren't Sony talking about a tilt-sensor for the old PS2 controller a few years ago that didn't come to fruition? So I suppose you could say Nintendo stole that idea... But, then again, Nintendo did have that tilt-sensorry GBA game a while back too, which Sony could have ripped off...

Basically, I reckon (obviously this is just opinion and not based on any actual knowledge) that Sony may well have had ideas about a tilt controller pre-Wii announcement, then decided to go ahead after the raptuous welcome the wiimote got...

Of course companies rip off other ideas if they think they'll work, that's always going to happen, however it looks like Sony may have to put some more work in pre-release if the controller feels "cheaply put together" as the article says...

And, to finish off, I'm fairly happy the PS3 controller is staying the same shape (I know I never got comfortable with the XBox's controller), but here's to hoping for a better feeling controller on launch day...

Jeb

El_Mariachi
May 30th, 2006, 10:44
I think the reason everyone bashed sony so much is because of how much heat they gave nintendo saying what a stupid idea it was and nobody would buy into it... then low and behold look what they present to us at e3? some cheap copy off of something that's truely innovative

sko, TheLogicalGamer
June 1st, 2006, 03:28
I am excited to try out the rev controller