PDA

View Full Version : Undiluted Platinum - The Full Details on the Worlds First PSP Modchip

wraggster
May 28th, 2006, 22:04
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/46315_up2.jpg

A few days ago we posted the news that there was a PSP Modchip being released soon, heres a Pic of that Modchip installed in a Ceramic White PSP:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspmodhip.JPG

Heres the specs/details:

Undiluted Platinum – World's first PSP modchip!

The U.P. (Undiluted Platinum) is a flash Replacement system for the PSP™ which allows the use of previous flash updates or custom firmware builds, opening up the possibility to run unsigned homebrew code on even the latest PSP systems. The U.P. contains 32MB NAND flash which is programmable from the PC via a high speed USB connection, using our user friendly software. You may boot the PSP from either its onboard flash or the flash contained on the U.P; the flash which is used is determined by a button press as the PSP is powered on (U.P. flash is used by default, hold L1 to use the PSP onboard flash). Since U.P. provides a secondary flash which the PSP can boot from, it can even be used to restore a PSP which has been "bricked". Every effort has been made to make our flash updater software, which will be freely available for download, both as easy to use and reliable as possible. The software also contains diagnostics which can be used by installers to determine if an installation has been successful or not.

The U.P. has been designed to minimize installation difficulty and effort. A FPC (flexible printed circuit) cable is included which routes the essential signals from the PSP motherboard to the U.P. main board and U.P. USB connector. Copper enamel wire is included, which will provide the connection between the FPC cable and the motherboard signal traces. The FPC cable also helps by reducing the mechanical stress placed on the solder points, making a U.P. modified PSP shock resistant which is important for handheld systems. Installation aids are included, and installation diagrams for all PSP hardware revisions will be available for download, together with flasher software application, from our reseller's websites. More about installation together with install pictures closer to release.

The FPC cable end to which the USB connector board attaches is routed into the battery compartment and sits above the battery. The battery cover can be replaced after flash updating and the cable remains safely in the compartment until the next update is required, whereupon the USB connector can be clipped in place within a few seconds. This means that the U.P. is completely contained within the PSP under normal usage and avoids any unsightly external modifications to your PSP. PSP is after all portable, let’s keep it that way!

In order to maximise the benefits that U.P. can provide its users, we have decided to take an open source approach with U.P and will be releasing source code for any software we release as well as full documentation for the U.P. hardware interface - including information on how to control U.P. from within PSP programs. This will allow anybody to create software which can take advantage of what U.P. has to offer. We have also sent a few prototype units away to some of the scene's best software hackers in order to give them a headstart at working on custom flash replacements - cant wait to see what people will come up with!

Features:

- Ultra reliable and feature rich Actel ProASIC Plus FPGA
- Full Speed USB 1.1 ASIC onboard
- Branded 32MB NAND flash onboard (same flash as used in PSP)
- Stable and reliable flashing software freely available for download
- Installation verification using flashing software
- Ultra compact four layer PCB
- High quality Japanese connectors
- USB cable included
- FPC cable included, reducing installation effort and improving shock resistance
- Copper enamel wire included
- Open platform development system for software developers
- Installation has been optimized to fit entirely inside PSP
- All PSP hardware versions/regions supported
- User updatable flash
- Low power consumption
- Flash select via button press
- Ultra compact PCB has been designed to avoid signal bounce

Package contents:

- U.P. MAIN MODULE x1
- U.P. USB BOARD x1
- USB CABLE x1
- INSTALLATION AIDS 1 SET
- COPPER ENAMEL WIRE 1 SPOOL
- FPC CABLE x1

The suggested price for the Modchip will be 75 Euro's/ 90 US$ or around 50 Pounds.

More info as it comes

BrooksyX
May 28th, 2006, 22:10
sounds very interesting,
Cant wait untill more of these things are released to lower the cost.

budovic
May 28th, 2006, 22:15
great work. time has come

INKED
May 28th, 2006, 22:22
thats just titties

shadowprophet
May 28th, 2006, 22:30
well..

mog
May 28th, 2006, 22:35
Looks great, 50 quid imo is a reasonable price.
It would be fun to try to create one on my own, but it would definitely be safer to just buy one.
(Cheaper too, because I wont be killing my psp! :rolleyes:)
I'm not really good enough with electronics to do it myself, and I still havent found a good source of psp compatible nand chips...

Having 1.0 and 3.0 in the same psp will definitely own! :p
But this is bound to have some kind of legal implications...
I still recon people should wait till the firmware used with the ps1emu and the ps3 are released.
It would be terrible if this caused sony to delay the release of these things.
Also, this might make sony decide to come up with a crazy modchip disabler security patch for the psp's next firmware. :eek:

Lol, this is getting interesting after reading all the scepticism in the last thread...
Still, there isn't really any hard evidence given here to support that this definitely exists.

shadowprophet
May 28th, 2006, 22:40
Looks great, 50 quid imo is a reasonable price.
It would be fun to try to create one on my own, but it would definitely be safer to just buy one.
(Cheaper too, because I wont be killing my psp! :rolleyes:)
I'm not really good enough with electronics to do it myself, and I still havent found a good source of psp compatible nand chips...

Having 1.0 and 3.0 in the same psp will definitely own! :p
But this is bound to have some kind of legal implications...
I still recon people should wait till the firmware used with the ps1emu and the ps3 are released.
It would be terrible if this caused sony to delay the release of these things.
Also, this might make sony decide to come up with a crazy modchip disabler security patch for the psp's next firmware. :eek:

Lol, this is getting interesting after reading all the scepticism in the last thread...
Still, there isn't really any hard evidence given here to support that this definitely exists.
I have heard from a few people, there are certain things a 1.5 psp will do that a 1.0 will not.
Then again ive never been 1.0 so I cant really say.
But 1.5 is the great equalizer. It ownz all :p

nielsss
May 28th, 2006, 22:42
This will be amazing i am certantly getting one, the war is over

Moning2
May 28th, 2006, 22:54
this could all be made up for your information ;)
not real evidence here, waiting for an adobe premiere video :)

StealthCP
May 28th, 2006, 22:54
:D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

school psp club is gonna buy 20 of me :D :D :D :D

I love the PSP :D

NOW ALL MAY HAVE HOMEBREW, FOR IT IS WRITTEN: GOD HATH GIVEN US THE POWER TO MAKE MOD CHIP FOR PSP, PERFECT IT AND REDISTRIBUTE IT.

And it was done.

El Payo
May 28th, 2006, 23:00
BOO FING YAH.

And as I've said before, if Sony would just open up the hardware to the homebrew scene, none of this awesomeness would be necessary. Kudos to the team that developed this, and let me know when they start taking orders.

djakku
May 28th, 2006, 23:11
... cool.... I'll stick too my 1.5 no matter what ehehe

I like the idea of the unbricker too some people would need it

jrsmaster411
May 28th, 2006, 23:11
I wonder who these great hackers are that got one

mog
May 28th, 2006, 23:18
I have heard from a few people, there are certain things a 1.5 psp will do that a 1.0 will not.
Then again ive never been 1.0 so I cant really say.
But 1.5 is the great equalizer. It ownz all :p
The only things that 1.0 is missing are the firmware loaders and umd loaders.

This is a big problem because the only real loader that works on 1.0 is devhook 0.22

This means we can only run the limited number of 1.0 psp umd games (something like 30 I think).
There are a few more games that work with devhook (eg. my lumines (1.5)) but only in ISO format I think.
Then there are the few games that can be tricked into working using version trickers like SXT or WAB. (eg. my THUG2 (1.5)).

We can't run 2.0+ games until the umd loaders are modified to be compatible with with 1.0 psp's :(

There are advantages for running homebrew though...
- Homebrew loading takes about a third of the time 1.5 takes.
- We only need one folder instead of two for each HB.
- No exploits needed at all.

Until 0okm released his fw 1.00 backup/restorer program a few days ago, we would not be able to go back to 1.0 if we upgraded.
That's why some of us have stayed on 1.0.
But now, we 1.0 users can back up our firmware and can run a restore program to go back if we update up to 1.5 & 2.0. :)

emuking
May 28th, 2006, 23:44
awesome

BrooksyX
May 28th, 2006, 23:45
thats why custom firmware is where it is at.

All homebrew will require one eboot and everyone will have kernal access so more developers will make their games with kernal, resulting in better games. We will be able to run new umds and better iso loaders should be made that just use direct load and dont have to use all of those firmware tricks.

Plus their will be a lot more custumization and other things.

Sterist
May 29th, 2006, 00:07
so, can just any avg school dropout put this thing inside the psp lol

**1_Man_Matrix**
May 29th, 2006, 00:07
Heya, It's probably not an issue...

But there's no L1 button on a PSP.
Like, It could easily be a mistake, and maybe I'm wrong, and the Left Trigger is referred to as the L1 button but yeah.

I don't wanna sound ansy, but with stuff like this, you really want to look for proof it's legit, you understand right :D

On the other hand... Very cool news :cool: heh

Zion
May 29th, 2006, 00:15
Let's wait and see before we judge if it's genuine or not!

geise69
May 29th, 2006, 00:16
This is awesome, but for 90 dollars I'd rather buy a new psp core.

shadowprophet
May 29th, 2006, 00:23
This is awesome, but for 90 dollars I'd rather buy a new psp core.
In the long sceme of things 1.0 and 1.50 and even 2.0 psp cores will become really hard to find some day.
This is the best bet concerning the future for everyone:p

Zion
May 29th, 2006, 00:25
In the long sceme of things 1.0 and 1.50 and even 2.0 psp cores will become really hard to find some day.
This is the best bet concerning the future for everyone:p

Agreed :p

mog
May 29th, 2006, 00:25
Heya, It's probably not an issue...

But there's no L1 button on a PSP.
Like, It could easily be a mistake, and maybe I'm wrong, and the Left Trigger is referred to as the L1 button but yeah.

I don't wanna sound ansy, but with stuff like this, you really want to look for proof it's legit, you understand right :D

On the other hand... Very cool news :cool: heh
I call it "L1" anyway, I never say "The Left Shoulder Trigger" - which I guess is it's real name, it's a bit long winded really.
You could call it "The L Button" I guess, but then you would have people thinking you mean "D-Pad Left"... lol :p

Zion
May 29th, 2006, 00:32
1_Man_Matrix, What do you mean no L1 button on the psp??
There is a L1 and R1 buttons on it.

I think you mean L2 and R2

**1_Man_Matrix**
May 29th, 2006, 00:38
1_Man_Matrix, What do you mean no L1 button on the psp??
There is a L1 and R1 buttons on it.

I think you mean L2 and R2

Heh,
dude theres no L1 button on a PSP...
For an L1 button to exist, theres really has to atleast be an L2 button.
Look in the manual for a game... It never refers to it as L1 button.

I never said it wasn't genuine... In fact, I said that on the other hand it was heaps cool news.

Maybe I just don't want you guys to get ripped off if it is fake? Sheesh...

I'm just saying is all, that they referred to it as an L1 button. I'm sure they ment Left Trigger, but I personally would have taken more care in writing an article to sell a product, that everyone is already suss about.
Read next time. :cool:

mog
May 29th, 2006, 00:39
Yea, they are not actually called L1 and R1...
On the PS1&2 they are because there are two shoulder triggers on each side.

On the PSP it's kind of pointless adding a number when there is only one on each side...
Unless of course, sony bring out a little add-on with the release of the psp's ps1-emulator.
Would be useful to have the other two triggers to clip on when that's released, but I dont think they will. :rolleyes:

**1_Man_Matrix**
May 29th, 2006, 00:40
*Cash register noise*
Thats my point :D

Anyway, forget about it...

Zion
May 29th, 2006, 00:42
Yeah I get what you mean now! It's Just L & R

**1_Man_Matrix**
May 29th, 2006, 00:45
Like I said, it's probably not an issue, and got blown completely out of proportion, but yeah...

The article says to hold down a button on the PSP that doesn't exist. It most definently ment Left Trigger, but it should have been more professional...

It's about a mod chip for cripes sake! And they get, "How it works" wrong.. hah

Anyway, now I sound like a b*tchy ranter, when I was just making a little point. Nice work.

Peace out.

Zion
May 29th, 2006, 00:46
Thats wierd.

F9zDark
May 29th, 2006, 00:51
Seems legitimate, but again, lets not all jump up with joy just yet.

First off, the post contains no citations of where the news came from. I no doubt put alot of faith in Wraggster, but the lack of citations still does not give us something to cross examine.

Secondly, still no site for the inventors? If they are looking to sell these things, they should plastering advertisements for their website all over their news posts.

Granted this alot more information than the first post we got concerning this mod chip, but it is still not enough for me, personally, to say this is 100% true.

wraggster
May 29th, 2006, 00:56
first off this isnt my news but comes from a site that never credits our coders releases, so thats the reason that we will not link to them,
and its not pspupdates

but anyway the people behind this modchip im 99% sure are DMS who with Divineo selling their modchips are one of the bigggest names in the xbox/gamecube and ps2 modchip world.

once the floodgates open you are going to see a ton of modchips

**1_Man_Matrix**
May 29th, 2006, 01:05
first off this isnt my news but comes from a site that never credits our coders releases, so thats the reason that we will not link to them,
and its not pspupdates

but anyway the people behind this modchip im 99% sure are DMS who with Divineo selling their modchips are one of the bigggest names in the xbox/gamecube and ps2 modchip world.

Awesome! :D

DPyro
May 29th, 2006, 01:33
[QUOTE=wraggster]first off this isnt my news but comes from a site that never credits our coders releases, so thats the reason that we will not link to them,
and its not pspupdates

EDIT: staff editing staff! it can be done!!! :p :) :p

Cap'n 1time
May 29th, 2006, 02:50
and its not pspupdates

and hopefully we will see cheaper mod chips too. :p

P.S. I like men :p

rmg060606
May 29th, 2006, 06:21
so i have a question what can be done with this mod chip what are the pros and cons 2 it if there are any at all?

Cooe14
May 29th, 2006, 06:36

P.S. I like men :p
Nice one $n!pR :D

shadowprophet
May 29th, 2006, 07:49

P.S. I like men :p Is when 1timeuser see this:rolleyes:
Dont know about you guys but im hideing under a rock before he sees this lol:p

zrns
May 29th, 2006, 10:02
quick question:
what happens if someone manages to brick both flashs?(is it even possible?) does the psp need to be switched on to modify the flash(modchip) via pc or is the extra usb working even if theres no way to switch it on?(like those little flashstoragethingies powered from your pc?

V3N0M
May 29th, 2006, 10:10
I don't understand it completely either lol but at least you can repair one flash with the other so it is virtually indestructible unless you purposely mess both of the up. See you can only use one at a time. One for homebrew 1.5 and one for updates and new psp games. Making your psp into two with a mod. This will make it so i wont have to buy another psp just to play new games.

StealthCP
May 29th, 2006, 10:12
zrns, there will be a seperate usb port to connect the modchip flash to the pc. The psp won't need to be on: the modchip gets power to reflash from the usb connection. software will re-flash the PSP.

And if you hadn't realised, you need to take the battery out anyway to get access to the port underneath for reflashing, not to be rude but most of your questions can be answered if you read the thread more closely... :D

mr_nick666
May 29th, 2006, 11:23
Ive gotta have one of these! A 1.5/2.7!! :D
All my lovely homebrew and I get to play the new flash homebrew too! :cool:

Lodis
May 29th, 2006, 18:28
With all of the fakes so far in the Psp scene I do not believe news of this Modchip at all and to get excited at this point is simply naive. Haven't we learnt anything from the previous fakes that were constantly appearing for the Psp?

I have seen people talk about ordering this Modchip and discussions about how to solder it as well as offering services to do it for others. I won't believe this until it has been proven.

Emeriastone
May 29th, 2006, 20:10
effing TIGHT!

V3N0M
May 30th, 2006, 02:52
With all of the fakes so far in the Psp scene I do not believe news of this Modchip at all and to get excited at this point is simply naive. Haven't we learnt anything from the previous fakes that were constantly appearing for the Psp?

I have seen people talk about ordering this Modchip and discussions about how to solder it as well as offering services to do it for others. I won't believe this until it has been proven.

It shows how ingnorate you are. The company said they will ge stocking them as soon as possible lol.