PDA

View Full Version : Datel Give us a Recommendation :)

wraggster
May 29th, 2006, 02:57
Datel have released their rather cool Media Player which should shake the DS scene a bit and also gave our site a nice little recommemdation :)

Thanks to Soully for the heads up

Heres the linky (http://uk.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=GB&cr=&cs=&r=1&l=&p=17&i=8996&s=8)

Shilo
May 29th, 2006, 04:46
Do you have to have the pass me thingy for this to work?

emuking
May 29th, 2006, 05:27
well do you someone answer

memyselfandi
May 29th, 2006, 06:39
Do you have to have the pass me thingy for this to work?

I am pretty sure that this includes the max media launcher wich is a passme that is the size of a ds cart.

Mazza
May 29th, 2006, 10:19
it DOES include the max media launcher

emuking
May 30th, 2006, 01:17
yay thank you im getting a ds lite and this they launch the same day here in us

takieda
May 30th, 2006, 06:30
yay thank you im getting a ds lite and this they launch the same day here in us

Why? I've been scouring for information on this unit and STILL haven't figured out the point of it. What does it do that the M3, or Supercard, or EZIV doesn't do (with Moonshell)? What makes it worth having a HUGE piece of hardware sticking out of the DS?

Knux896
May 30th, 2006, 07:32
Why? I've been scouring for information on this unit and STILL haven't figured out the point of it. What does it do that the M3, or Supercard, or EZIV doesn't do (with Moonshell)? What makes it worth having a HUGE piece of hardware sticking out of the DS?

It doesn't really do anything differently. The original version basically just uses moonshell to do a lot of what they advertise.However, the software is gradually being updated to include more features built into the actual media player itself. The new version 1.01 actually includes a built in audio player with onscreen controls and is downloadable at the Codejunkies website. Also adding to the usefulness of this device is the fact that it is easy for a novice to use and cheaper than a lot of other options. I am basing this on the fact that I ordered the CompactFlash media dock and a 2 gigabyte CF Card for about the same price I found for an M3 and passkey bundled on another site (around $90). I may be wrong (I am new to the DS homebrew scene after all), but I think 2 Gigabytes for 90 dollars is a bit more memory for less money than most of the other alternatives.

So basically this is just an easy way for someone to get into the DS homebrew scene without having to modify their DS or pay a lot. Some other methods might be more compact, but that doesn't make this product any less worthwhile.

takieda
May 30th, 2006, 07:40
It doesn't really do anything differently. The original version basically just uses moonshell to do a lot of what they advertise.However, the software is gradually being updated to include more features built into the actual media player itself. The new version 1.01 actually includes a built in audio player with onscreen controls and is downloadable at the Codejunkies website. Also adding to the usefulness of this device is the fact that it is easy for a novice to use and cheaper than a lot of other options. I am basing this on the fact that I ordered the CompactFlash media dock and a 2 gigabyte CF Card for about the same price I found for an M3 and passkey bundled on another site (around $90). I may be wrong (I am new to the DS homebrew scene after all), but I think 2 Gigabytes for 90 dollars is a bit more memory for less money than most of the other alternatives.

So basically this is just an easy way for someone to get into the DS homebrew scene without having to modify their DS or pay a lot. Some other methods might be more compact, but that doesn't make this product any less worthwhile.

Thanks very much for your reply. That's honestly the first detailed statement about the hardware (and software) that I've heard so far, after numerous posts and questions on several different forums.

But as far as price, a 4GB SD card and USB 2.0 compliant SD Card reader can run you around $90 from newegg.com on any given day. That coupled with lowering prices on the M3 side (m3-SD Slim I've seen hovering around the $80 mark plus shipping lately), which includes a passkey2 (some bundles might include Passcard2 but I haven't been paying much attention to that). Total price around $180 for a fully functional system that is, point for point the same system as the Datel Max Media Player. And plugging the SD card into an SD card reader and into the computer, then copying files to and from it, is just as easy as plugging in the entire MMP unit into the computer and copying files to/from it.

I'm curious as to what they do with their new updates to the video and audio control scheme as you mentioned. I'd also like to see if it runs videos any cleaner than an M3SD with a good card (like the Adata cards) and moonshell. If that was the case, it would make it a more pleasing alternative.

Knux896
May 31st, 2006, 05:39
Glad I could be of assistance. Something that doesn't seem to have circulated the net yet is that there are actually other tools offered by Datel besides the 4 GB hard drive (though this is the main item they advertise). They also offer a Compact Flash alternative called the Max Media Dock that looks very similar to the hard drive and can use up to 8 GB CF cards. The Media Dock costs $40 dollars, but you can also get it bundled with either a 1 GB or a 2 GB CF card for $80 and $120 respectively. I based the cheaper solution claim on the use of the Max Media Dock and a Compact Flash card. I paid $85 before shipping for the Media Dock and a 2 GB CF card, and based on what you have mentioned, there is the possibility to order a 4 GB card online for around $90. If you were to combine those prices than it is a bit cheaper than ordering some other devices at other online retailers. Like I said before, I am new to this but I think that Datel has some good products for those that are new to the DS homebrew scene.

You can find out more about Datel's media solutions for the DS at their Max Media Player mini site:

http://us.codejunkies.com/mpds/index.htm