PDA

View Full Version : iPhone beats Wii, DS, PSP: 'fastest hardware growth in consumer tech history'

wraggster
October 23rd, 2009, 20:26
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/10/iphone-vs-game-consoles.jpg

If you wonder why analysts love the iPhone, wonder no longer! Those rascally number crunchers just love to make bold proclamations and Apple's iPhone / iPod Touch ecosystem allow them to do just that. Let's start with Mary Meeker, internet analyst at Morgan Stanley, who told the Web 2.0 Summit crowd yesterday that the iPhone and iPod Touch (which share a common software platform) exhibited the "fastest hardware user growth in consumer tech history"! Don't believe her? Check out that chart. Those numbers even make the DS look pedestrian.

Couple Meeker's research with DFC Intelligence analyst David Cole's assertion that the iPhone and iPod Touch devices will be the "primary drivers of mobile game market sales over the coming years" and you've got what those of us in the biz call "consensus."

Still think it's not a real gaming platform?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/23/iphone-beats-wii-ds-psp-fastest-hardware-growth-in-consumer/

Viral Decadent
October 23rd, 2009, 20:59
Yes.

jamotto
October 23rd, 2009, 23:12
No.

the_eternal_dark
October 24th, 2009, 00:39
The iPhone barely even functions as a phone. Seriously, what's with all the sh!tty apps the AT&T/Apple seems to want to pimp out in all their commercials instead of actually promoting what their device can do out of the box with no extra purchases? What ever happened to a phone being judged for its basic intentions, such as battery life, call quality, messaging, and for business professionals - email and web support? That's like saying because my Blackberry or Hero have a 3rd party app that allows you to tether via bluetooth without the network finding out, that makes them the best phones of all time.

Also, gaming needs buttons, not gimmicks (hey it did work for the Wii, but not a touchscreen device).

osgeld
October 24th, 2009, 01:01
in my neck of the woods yea you have wii and dsi (why is wii in there its not handheld) but ive seen 1 person with an ipod touch (like a year ago at work) and iphones are scarce.

meanwhile normal ipods are still all over the place and it seems like most people are sporting blackberries

symbal
October 24th, 2009, 01:09
The Iphone's more of a fashion accessory and most owners are more interested in making sure people know they got one than what the thing's actually capable of, it's amazing how many people i seen carrying an extra phone because things like camera are so rubbish on Iphone.

the_eternal_dark
October 24th, 2009, 03:00
Agreed symbal. It's always college girls or one or two old guys who have one who want a "smart phone" but bought into the iHype. It's an idiot phone with a shiny interface.

PSP, DS, and Pandora > iPhone for gaming.

Blackberry, HTC, Samsung, etc > iPhone for an actual phone.

darkdex52
October 24th, 2009, 09:42
I don't understand. Why compare iPhone with PSP/DS/Wii? I know A LOT of people who own iphones, but none of them plays any games on them. iPhone != gaming device.

It's like comparing hat sales with GeForce GPU sales. Totally irrelevant.

Predator
October 26th, 2009, 00:17
Where's the PS2 in that chart?
Mobile gaming doesn't equal portable gaming!!