PDA

View Full Version : FAME C coming soon

fox68k
May 30th, 2006, 13:10
Hi everybody,

i have been working for a short time in an API-compliant version of FAME written in C. It is based in the excellent C68k emulator by my friend Stef.

For the time being, it lacks some features present in the native counterparts for the X86 and the SH4 platforms. However, the most frequently used ones are there.

This work would help a lot to port some stuff by Chui. For example, emulators like UAE4ALL could be easily ported to the GP2X.

I am looking for someone interested in this work, to help me out to get my hands dirty in the real world. :)

Cheers.

chui
May 30th, 2006, 14:46
Good news! And FAZE? :D :D :D

gxb
May 30th, 2006, 16:18
Fame-motorola 68000 Core Emulator?
Faze-z80 Core Emulator?

chui
May 30th, 2006, 16:26
Yes, these CPU cores are very fast because are SH4 assembly written.

FAZE is need it because a lot of MAME games using it ... and Genesis ... and NeoGeo...

criticalhippo
May 30th, 2006, 18:01
I'm very interested in this - please check your PMs.

critical.

LTK
May 31st, 2006, 00:00
:p hi Fox68k, very very good news!

Christuserloeser
June 7th, 2006, 19:34
Good news that is. :)

I'd like to second Chui's request for FAZE though. Aren't you working with BlackAura on GenesisPlusDC ?

Z80 emulation really needs by far the most CPU resources in GenesisPlusDC :(

quzar
June 7th, 2006, 23:11

uhh.... no? by far not. with cz80 we already have an excellent z80 cpu core. I would double check your sources, you may be mistaking sound emulation with z80 emulation.

Christuserloeser
June 7th, 2006, 23:37
Oh, yes. Sorry. (Where's the "Emberassed' smiley ?)

Thanks for correcting me. I completly forgot about CZ80 (Again, where's that smiley ?)

Still, it would definitly be great to see FAZE completed. ;)

Btw, Chui, is CZ80 already used in Neo4All ? Wouldn't that speed it up even more ? o_O

chui
June 8th, 2006, 11:24
CZ80 is using the last version of NEO4ALL and MAME4ALL/GOLD.

CZ80 increases a bit of speed, around 5-10%, instead MAMEZ80, but it has a lot of stability and accuracy problems yet.

fox68k
June 9th, 2006, 15:05
I'd like to second Chui's request for FAZE though. Aren't you working with BlackAura on GenesisPlusDC ?

FAZE is in the debugging stage. I really hate to debug an SH4 assembly core. It is bored, requires a lot of time to and sometimes you feel like if you were alone in the middle of a desert. Dealing with a C written core is MUCH easier. Luckily, Chui is always ready to help me out. I do not know when i will afford enough strength to get in front of this beast.

BA looks to be out of GPDC works. The last time i had contact with him, he said he will test a new version of FAME, but he never let me know anything else.

Have a nice day!

Christuserloeser
June 14th, 2006, 13:35
FAZE is in the debugging stage. I really hate to debug an SH4 assembly core. It is bored, requires a lot of time to and sometimes you feel like if you were alone in the middle of a desert.

Dealing with a C written core is MUCH easier. Luckily, Chui is always ready to help me out. I do not know when i will afford enough strength to get in front of this beast.

Okay, I see what the problem is. Hopefully you find the strength again one day.

Take your time, take your time.

BA looks to be out of GPDC works. The last time i had contact with him, he said he will test a new version of FAME, but he never let me know anything else.

Hm, I think he didn't get FAME to work properly.

Here are his latest posts regarding GenesisPlusDC:
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=878593#878593

Christuserloeser
July 20th, 2006, 22:05
Fox, check your PMs ;)

fox68k
August 5th, 2006, 17:13
FAME is harder to implement than C68k. Basically, the most difficult part is the memory layout definition. I recommend BA long time ago to use a single memory handler to deal with. BA always wanted to define a good mem layout mostly because you get a faster emulation. While this is the best option in terms of speed, you need to know what you are doing perfectly.

FAME does memory this way: i won't check anything. Take care to avoid falling into the bad weeds otherwise this will fail, for sure.

It would be nice to make things easier for coder but FAME is complex and requires a great effort in the coder side to get the best results. FAME was designed this way to reach as much performance as possible. If you do not take care seriously in this point you will get lost and frustrated.

I tried to help BA, but i cannot handle this:

- BA works in a DC environment only. No PC execution is possible in the same conditions. Well, SDL code is there to support it, but it looks like a dev branch quite different. The PC version of FAME helps a lot to debug. This point is very important.

- Adding new features is nice when the thing is mature. Adding it earlier is not a good idea specially if they are related with memory. We can live without SRAM support in GPDC for a while.

Said this, let me know what can i do for BA beyond the complete doc included in FAME and this useful tips.

Greetings.

fox68k
August 8th, 2006, 09:47
A user of this forum asks me about the current state of FAME C to use it in PSPUAE. Since i cannot reply him by PM (he does not admit PM), here is.

Currently, there is a preliminar version of FAME C available that runs successfully the FAME example. However, it won't be useful for Amiga emulation.

I would love to see a FAME MIPS come true, but requires a very motivated coder to help me out with debugging.

Certainly having a build of UAE4all running in the PSP helps a lot. The bad news come looking at Amiga emulation. You need a really good 68k core in order to run UAE otherwise the vast majority of the games won't run.

Cheers.

gxb
August 9th, 2006, 17:47
I would love to see a FAME MIPS come true, but requires a very motivated coder to help me out with debugging.

A FAME MIPS?
That means Chui's emus (mame4all,neo4all) could be easily ported to PS2 ?
That's cool if it is ture~~ :D

chui
October 24th, 2006, 00:43
FAME/C is working with UAE4ALL.

I hope that Critical will launch a new release of UAE4ALL for GP2X coming soon and i think that will run at fullspeed.

fox68k
October 26th, 2006, 11:32
Hi everyone,

FAME C is finally fully compatible with FAME X86 and SH4 assembly versions (API and data structure). This is, any 4ALL emulator running with any FAME can be ported easily to any platform (GP32, GP2X, PSP, DS, PS2, etc.).

Since the main target for 4ALL emulators is the DC (a very low power system), almost every emulator ported will be full speed!! :)

I will release a new FAME package with FAME C, X86 and SH4 versions along with docs as soon as possible.

Keep tunned coders.

Best regards.

chui
October 31st, 2006, 10:14
A FAME MIPS?
That means Chui's emus (mame4all,neo4all) could be easily ported to PS2 ?
That's cool if it is ture~~ :D

Fame/C is multiplatform, is 100% C code.

You can download lastest HERE (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/releases/famec-30-10-2006.tar.bz2).

I think that now it is stable and it is ready for releasing.
Also, i just test it with UAE4ALL (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/releases/dcastaway-src-30-10-2006.tar.bz2) and DCaSTaway (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/releases/dcastaway-src-30-10-2006.tar.bz2).

gxb
October 31st, 2006, 19:19
Fame/C is multiplatform, is 100% C code.

You can download lastest HERE (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/releases/famec-30-10-2006.tar.bz2).

I think that now it is stable and it is ready for releasing.
Also, i just test it with UAE4ALL (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/releases/dcastaway-src-30-10-2006.tar.bz2) and DCaSTaway (http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/releases/dcastaway-src-30-10-2006.tar.bz2).

What about your new releases with FAZE core?
I mean mame4all or aes4all with Faze.
We are all waiting for them .

chui
October 31st, 2006, 23:32
What about your new releases with FAZE core?
I mean mame4all or aes4all with Faze.
We are all waiting for them .
I hope that we will release it for next christmas.

gxb
November 1st, 2006, 09:45
I hope that we will release it for next christmas.

next christmas? you mean 2006-12-25? or 2007-12-25?

chui
November 2nd, 2006, 09:30
:D Beetween 2006-12-22 and 2007-01-08 :D

gxb
November 3rd, 2006, 04:29
Oh, that's great.
What about the Q sound of CPS games ?
Will they run full speed with Q sound ?

chui
November 3rd, 2006, 13:41
Recently i was working on adapt DCaSTaway for FAME and finishing FAME/C.

Now, i only try to merge MAME4ALL with MAMEGP2X v3.3 and support RAZE/FAZE core.

But its a good idea, i will try put qsound from xmame-0.36b11.

gxb
December 10th, 2006, 16:56
Dear Chui,
The Christmas day is approaching , what about your project progress on mame4all and aes4all ? We are always waiting for your new version of your emu4dc . You are truely THE LAST HOPE for us dreamcast players . Recently , the author of CPS/CPS2 emu for PSP,NJ, has released his emus' resources . His emu runs very fast on PSP, and I think his resources may worth reading for your projects.
I'll be very preciated if you could tell us your WIP. Thanks for your work on DC.

Bobablob
December 11th, 2006, 06:36
I would just like to add my own thanks to this thread. I hope that the developers remain motivated because they really have accomplished a great deal. Thank you, so very much. You've brought a lot of people a lot of joy.