PDA

View Full Version : Two problems

davoud
June 8th, 2004, 07:53
hi there,

I am using windows 98se and an old pc (cpu intel celeron 366). I just attached a new floppy drive and it was working fine but recently i am getting a message "drive a is not accessible" when I try to open the A: drive. Since evrything was fine before, i do not suspect any wrong connections in the case. A drive is not accessible in safe mode as well, so I removed the "floppy disk controller" in safe mode and did a normal boot. It detected the floppy disk controller and there is no any problem in the device manager, but still no luck.

I have got another headache, this dial-up dialouge box appears repeadetly on the desktop and delays the boot procedure and I have to click cancel button several times to get rid of it but it is very persistent. It appears anytime during boot or shotdown or while i am working. I did cancel all of the live updates to make sure there is no any program causing it but still no luck.

please HELP!

guymelef
June 8th, 2004, 08:08
1 your disk drive is probably screwed
2 windows update is probably going haywire
3 your restor disk sucks
4 try winNT or 2000
5 this a Dreamcast website maybe if it was windowsCE you would be in the right place

but thank you for your support

souLLy
June 8th, 2004, 17:04
anytime i see a computer trying to dial up on the internet on its own my immediate thoughts are a trojan/virus of some kind, would make sense if the A Drive is having problems. I would suggest a good spyware/adware/trojan/virus scan of your PC see what turns up.

cookie
June 28th, 2004, 13:03
hi my name is cookie i have heard of this. i will tell u now there is no problem with the hardware or ur vertion of windows, simply it is a small bug in windows which can be fixed, althought the downside is fixing this problem, unfortunatly u will need to format ur harddrive and remove ur partitions and set it back up once again then reinstall windows and this will remove the bug, all it is is that windows 98se takes it's time to find a new device if it is 1 that has been replaced and so u must do this as it dose not expect u to change the floppy, there for it blockes it off, this is the only way to fix this, if u need me to explan how to do this send me an email to [email protected] and i will explane to u how to do this, hope this helps u

WHurricane16
June 29th, 2004, 02:59
5 this a Dreamcast website maybe if it was windowsCE you would be in the right place

Ah, someone who doesn't know Windows CE has nothing to do with the Dreamcast. *The DC is powered nothing by Windows CE, it's just that some DC games used a stripped down version of Direct X that worked with the SH4 platform.

Btw, I say thee nay on re-formatting your partition. *I would disable everything in your startup (some say don't disable systray, but I say do it) because evidently something is trying to get online as soon as your PC boots up. *I'm sure you IE settings are set to "dial whenever a network connection is not present".

Even if you don't suspect it's not a hardware problem, replace the cable to your floppy drive. *Believe me, nothing is 100% reliable in your box. ;)