PDA

View Full Version : Gates plays down Wii

wraggster
May 30th, 2006, 18:08
Microsoft boss Bill Gates believes that the motion-sensitive controllers for PS3 and Wii don't make for 'mainstream' gaming.

Speaking in response to Sony's recent announcement that the PS3 pad will join the Wii remote in being motion-sensitive, Gates said that "there's room for innovation here, but moving that controller around isn't something that's mainstream for most games".

This conflicts with what Nintendo believes, as the company sees the unique capabilities of Wii as a way of encouraging non-gamers to get involved with console gaming. However, Gates mentioned that Microsoft released a motion-sensitive PC controller in 2000 but it wasn't that popular as the movements required to use it were not particularly natural.

"It's tough because sometimes you move the controller and you don't mean to fly into the ground, you just want to put the controller down," said Gates. "People aren't that good at totally standing still: even pilots actually sit in a chair when they do their flying, so there's a lot to be learned about these controllers."

This somewhat matches how we felt when getting hands-on with the Wii-mote, as there was certainly a learning curve involved for some games, such as Ubisoft's shooter Red Steel. Whether this will be enough to put off gamers and have them running back to the security of the 360 pad remains to be seen.

Via Gamesradar (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/revo/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060530152846609003&sectionId=1006)

JesusXP
May 30th, 2006, 20:25
Yeah, I think gates needs to clarify his statement as being directly aimed at PS3's presentation, as its controller, is most comparable to the Sidewinder, and Wii is a whole new way to play... but like gates cares... They need new dashboard interfaces, to look sleek. I liked PS3's apparent PSP like interface. Makes it look more suited to home entertainment centers. Classier

Miria
May 30th, 2006, 23:25
Bill Gates Nintendo isnt in your war with Sony remember that. Nintendo Representative Shigeru Miyamoto doesnt want to be within your childish affairs with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo took a whole new way to play. you didnt. And hopefully your Microsoft Vista System program doesnt let me down too.:) :) :)

emuking
May 31st, 2006, 04:03
bill gates is such a dumbass, i wonder who is above him if hes like this

Cap'n 1time
May 31st, 2006, 04:07
bill gates is such a dumbass, i wonder who is above him if hes like this

to answere your question God is above bill gates.. and no. God does not like him one bit. :p

ExcruciationX
June 13th, 2006, 20:24
I think Gates is mad, because he couldn't come up with an idea like that.

Zion
June 13th, 2006, 21:27
The Wii will kick ass, No matter what Bill Gates thinks :p

Forever~Zero
June 14th, 2006, 11:26
I am a Malaysian and i must say SONY is kicking Microsofts ass here. I have seen thousands of PS2s but i have yet to see one Xbox.

BALL_SAC
June 24th, 2006, 02:06
I dont give a $hit what Bill Gates thinks about the Wii. That just him being himself, just like him knocking Apple because they run a different operating system then Windows.

That guy needs to learn to keep čis nose where it belongs. I think that the Wii will kick A$$ on Microsoft. It may be the lowest qualtiy console of the next gen 3, but it will probably have the better games. Take Super Smash Bros Brawl for example.

stotheamuel
June 24th, 2006, 02:13
I think Gates is mad, because he couldn't come up with an idea like that.

The post did say he said that the pc had a controller like that come out in 2000 that didn't sell well

to answere your question God is above bill gates.. and no. God does not like him one bit. :p

Well I'm above god so who is above me?

BALL_SAC
June 24th, 2006, 02:17
Well, players are just gonna have to deal with the controller... or else use a different controller shell which probably would be unnessicary. That again is Bill Gates being stupid. Who doesnt think that the controller wont be cool.

csd-san
June 28th, 2006, 22:38
The post did say he said that the pc had a controller like that come out in 2000 that didn't sell well

Well I'm above god so who is above me?

Chuck Norris.

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 11:14
Seriously, Bill Gates has retired from Microsoft. Cant he just retire like a old person, and mind his own bussiness. Jesus.

tsurumaru
June 29th, 2006, 11:16
Chuck Norris.

LOL Nice one.

Seriously though Bill Gates is expressing his personal opinion, what he's trying to say is that he thinks that the majority of gamers will be happier using a standard pad than with a Wii type controller. Is he wrong? Maybe, only time will tell, theres a number of factors that could determine it, will your arm get really tired after a couple of hours of Wii tennis, are there Repetative Strain Injury issues further down the line that people may not have considered?

Peter Moore on the other hand happens to love the Wii controller (so much so that M$ seem to be considering something that might be similar http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=141767).

Sony's controller seems to be less "revolutionary" than they are claiming day by day:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/warhawk/warhawakps3-controller-nothing-new-182473.php

NiGame
June 29th, 2006, 11:24
Ok who says you can't sit down while using the Wii?

tsurumaru
June 29th, 2006, 11:30
Ok who says you can't sit down while using the Wii?

I don't know, who does? I don't think that would stop your arm from getting tired if say after 3 hours you're still doing the same motion with it, sitting or standing you're still moving your arm.......

Anyway the whole question is hypothetical, no one really knows unless you try these things out. If you want to trial it, hold a remote control in your hand, take a seat and flick your wrist every 3 seconds or so for a duration of 3 hours. You can report back as to whether your arm is tired or not.

Just for your interest there are a number of people in the UK who constantly text message on their mobile phones (text junkies) and suffer RSI along with many in the workplace too, I'm sure its not just the UK either:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/22/text_injury/

BALL_SAC
June 29th, 2006, 11:37
I wonder if the Wii will cause medical issues.... Not with young gamers, but say my grandma wanted to play wii sports with me. If she swings the controller around like a tennis swing, she may crack her arm joint... Something like this could pose a serious threat to Nintendo.

DenofLions
June 29th, 2006, 11:59
Chuck Norris.

<offtopic>
LMAO.

I was reading page one, and my first thought was Chuck Norris... sad. Too much time spend in WoW where 10 yr olds spam chuck norris jokes -_-

</offtopic>

Of course Gates will bash the Wii and Ps3, its only to be expected. I'm looking forward to the Wii for the reason that I don't have to sit around and button mash combos, no more "X,X,X,X,Square,Triangle".

Edit:

I wonder if the Wii will cause medical issues.... Not with young gamers, but say my grandma wanted to play wii sports with me. If she swings the controller around like a tennis swing, she may crack her arm joint... Something like this could pose a serious threat to Nintendo.

The Wii will probobly have one of those health risk warnings like the DS does when you turn it on, so they can't get sued.

NiGame
June 29th, 2006, 12:36
I wouldn't think your arm would get tired its all wrist movement (people do play sports all day and this I would hope isnt as intensive)
But i would guess u could get RSI which would not be good