PDA

View Full Version : Iwata: 'I Laughed at the PlayStation 3 Controller'

wraggster
May 30th, 2006, 18:15
We were looking around for official comment on the PlayStation 3 controller announcement from Nintendo executives who had been surprisingly quiet on the issue, and we came up with this gem from Nintendo presiedent Satoru Iwata. As you'll know, Sony tried to take a bite out of Nintendo's giant pie of glory by adding functionality to its controller that the layman might mistake as comparable to that of the Wii.

"Actually before they made the announcement we already anticipated that they might do that, so I had to laugh. Even though I was laughing, it was with a grim face, I should add," Iwata told the Seattle Times. "Having said that, please know that putting the motion-sensor technology into the classic-style controller is one thing. Putting the motion-sensor technology into the Wii remote as well as the 'nunchuck' controller, where you can use both hands freely and independently, this is quite another thing."

Iwata also commented on the pricepoint announced by SCE. "That's not something I should comment on as a corporate president. But as one single person, a potential customer for the PS3, I think it's a bit expensive. But it depends on how the general public is going to see it. So far, within two days now, a majority of people who have commented on the pricepoint are saying the same thing: It's expensive."

Of course, the actual functionality of the Wii and the PlayStation 3 controllers is a world apart. The PlayStation 3 offers unexplained 'motion-sensing' technology, whereas the Wii boasts full recognition of the controllers movement, tilt, angle and placement.

As soon as Sony outlines exactly what its controller will offer over and above the standard game pad, you'll be the first to know.

Via Spong (http://news.spong.com/article/10139)

Zion
May 30th, 2006, 19:49
Are sony going back to the same style control pad as they have had since the ps1? I recently saw a picture of a PS2 lookalike control in a silver color next to a ps3 in a official pic from sony.

I have never seen such a lack of imagination from a console developer.

I know the saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it"
but come on. Surley someone at sony has a idea to change the controller to a better style?

Cooe14
May 30th, 2006, 21:09
Are sony going back to the same style control pad as they have had since the ps1? I recently saw a picture of a PS2 lookalike control in a silver color next to a ps3 in a official pic from sony.

I have never seen such a lack of imagination from a console developer.

I know the saying "if it's not broken, don't fix it"
but come on. Surley someone at sony has a idea to change the controller to a better style?
Yep here is the PS3 controller. It looks almost exactly the same as the ordinary Dual Shock expect for a tacked on Xbox 360 style home button and a mini usb port.

Zion
May 30th, 2006, 21:42
At least it's changed slightly! :p

Kramer
May 30th, 2006, 22:11
this control wouldnt look right next to a ps3.
i see they have redesigned the rear shoulder buttons thats good cos the ps2 dualshock ones always **** up

Zion
May 31st, 2006, 00:49
They certainly do. Thats happened to all four of my ps2 gamepads!

motz
May 31st, 2006, 07:38
To be honest, I disagree with the comment about the PS3 being expensive. It includes a Blu-Ray player, which on its own, is more expensive than a PS3.

Miria
May 31st, 2006, 10:20
Good on you Satoru Iwata.

horacehogarth
May 31st, 2006, 10:43
Actually it was Sony who got Eye Toy to market and also were looking at developing motion sensing controllers years ago. Nintendo just took the ideas a stage further, how innovative of them. Oh and this is the same company thats peddled ancient technology and games in the various Gameboys over the years. They certainly make some great games but a lot of people definitely look at Nintendo through rose tinted glasses.