PDA

View Full Version : Modchips.. Bricked PSPs ... There may be help

wraggster
May 30th, 2006, 18:50
Mike DX posted this news at his site:

With the upcoming modchip for the PSP i am going to offer a fitting service for those in the UK (overseas people sadly the shipping will cost too much).

Also As far as I can tell I will be able to fix bricked psps.

So, can I have a list of eople who would like to make use of my services? The chips are £50 (aparently), I will only charge a nomial fee for fitting and return delivery - about £25 or so.

For the bricked PSPs, the plan is to restore 1.5firmware, the cost of this will depend on how succesful I am.

Please let me know if you would like to make use of this service! First come first serve. I do expect there to be quite a few people not brave enough to tackle the psp with a soldering iron by themselves!

Looks Like the Modchip could be a godsend, more details at MikeDXs Site --> http://dxdev.dcemu.co.uk

Zion
May 30th, 2006, 18:55
Good idea for people who don't know how to do it themself's! Cheap too...

wraggster
May 30th, 2006, 18:58
yeah to be honest i wouldnt take solder my PSP either :)

Elsid
May 30th, 2006, 18:58
light at the end of the tunnel.

V3N0M
May 30th, 2006, 19:12
Well how much would it cost in shiping for USA to UK because i'm not going to mod my psp. Maby i can find another person to help.

modcase
May 30th, 2006, 19:23
Soldering isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

It just would appear that most people who "brick" their console or other device by soldering... didn't learn how to do it properly on something that didn't matter first.

Trust me people all over the world will be offering this service as soon as more details arise, myself included.

shadowprophet
May 30th, 2006, 19:29
Since the umd.
Im getting one of these. just so I can get a new psp.
I was holding off for an exploit but this seems much better :p

gunntims0103
May 30th, 2006, 19:33
do you think they will start selling psp's with the mod chip already installed in them ???

Zion
May 30th, 2006, 19:39
Mabye on modchip sites.

Zion
May 30th, 2006, 19:40
yeah to be honest i wouldnt take solder my PSP either :)

Yeah it's a risky procedure :eek:

But after I changed the motherboard on my PSP it taught me a few things, and made me less afraid to try to install hardware myself! :p

StealthCP
May 30th, 2006, 19:54
Interesting idea. However a lot of these services will be popping up all over the UK, as ruli I would be starting up one myself. Don't forget to advertise!

mr_nick666
May 30th, 2006, 20:46
One of the great times to have a girlfriend who is an electronic engineer! :D

Ennohex
May 30th, 2006, 20:54
Isn't mod chip installation or system modification illegal?

I know it isn't in our country. Still pretty sure a fully functional "soft hack" will surface some day. Until then I'll stick to my emulated games.

tophead420
May 30th, 2006, 21:10
k if this whole thing does work imma sum how brick my 2,6 psp so u can restore the ever so awsome 1.5 lol

amadeus
May 30th, 2006, 21:13
I'll be up for the service.
I'll check out what would need to be done when the chip comes out but It'ld cost me at least what you're charging to get the iron and stuff so I mgiht as well relax and let someone else do it!

kyle2194
May 30th, 2006, 21:30
Can someone point out to me, where it says this requires solder?

T-2000
May 30th, 2006, 21:56
heres a mention of soldering..

.................................................. ................................
The FPC cable also helps by reducing the mechanical stress placed on the solder points, making a U.P. modified PSP shock resistant which is important for handheld systems.

.................................................. .............................
now does tht mean the excisting solder points or the ones needed to be solded..

10shu
May 30th, 2006, 23:18
do you think they will start selling psp's with the mod chip already installed in them ???

liksang use to sell modded xbox and ps2...i dunno if they still do that...

and you probably find soon a import/export game shop near where u leave where they can install the chip for u...

acn010
May 31st, 2006, 00:22
...............later the soldering iron gets hot, the person gets ready to solder but forgot the lead, goes for the lead leaving the soldering iron next to the already opened psp, the cat jumps to the table where the psp and the solder is, plays with the soldering iron, the cat gets burned by the soldering iron, the soldering iron is in mid-air then falls towards the psp and LISTO!!!!!
the psp gets screwed!
the person returns and looks at the psp burning and making a huge smell of burned plastic and hot metal and a hole that the soldering iron made.
so thats a story.......
lol
i threw one bricked psp to the garbage (took the screen out, the wi-fi thingy, lighty thingy, buttons,faceplate, analog stick thingy, laser eye thingy)
leaving just the motherboard naked, to the trash, and i still have the parts here.
its too late for repairing it, unless i go to the garbage center of new york to get it back. (that will take forever) :)

mog
May 31st, 2006, 00:55
baka neko! :p

I've found my soldering iron that I bought to use at school 4 years ago.
I'm going to buy lots and lots and lots of solder. I'm very bad at soldering so I think i'll need like 100 or 200 metres of solder.
I will practice soldering on scrap materials till all the solder has gone, and I will finally master the art of soldering!

Shame I wasn't this interested in soldering when I was doing my electronics GCSE...
I might have got higher than an E, and my project may have done more than just drain batteries! :D

vettacossx
May 31st, 2006, 06:08
LISTEN TO VETTACOSSX ON THIS ONE ;)

bring the mod chip and your psp to a local TV VCR or RADIO repairs shop ......let a Profesional do the job its a five min. deal and if done by a BUSYNESS and not some average smoe ( no offense)and something did happen THEY ( the electronic repair service shop that is) would be responsible so you COULD then go out get another psp bring it back to them untill they get the job done, i mean its got DIRECTIONS and if you have done this to others systems then you know that its ussually only a couple lil spots....not like the things these pro electritions deal with every day...lol... NOT A WHOLE BROKE CHIP BOARDS like these pros are use to.. so theres a 99.9% chance they will do a perfect job since they tackle much much bigger task on a regular basis ;)...it cost no shipping, its proffesionally done
and theres NO CHANCE of NOT leaving with a working psp ....seems they are resposible for your equipment working " AS WELL" as it did when you brought it to be serviced ;)
ive done this with ANY mod chip thats NOT solderless ....and with a 100% success rate i might add:)

MadMonkee
May 31st, 2006, 06:46
I am drooling on this modchip. It's all that I have ever asked for, got my solder ready :D

I can finally buy UMD games.

mr_nick666
May 31st, 2006, 09:32

I'm going to buy lots and lots and lots of solder. I'm very bad at soldering so I think i'll need like 100 or 200 metres of solder.
I will practice soldering on scrap materials till all the solder has gone, and I will finally master the art of soldering!

Shame I wasn't this interested in soldering when I was doing my electronics GCSE...
I might have got higher than an E, and my project may have done more than just drain batteries! :D

Dude!

Just make sure youve got a fine point soldering head on your soldering iron else you'll just fill your PSP with molten solder! :p Lol!

gavind
May 31st, 2006, 11:41

i would also buy lots of solder, at school we used to always end up making lots of solder balls and my project also drained the batteries far too much.
How crappy it was but fun to make at the same time.

gavind
May 31st, 2006, 11:43
Dude!

Just make sure youve got a fine point soldering head on your soldering iron else you'll just fill your PSP with molten solder! :p Lol!

coming from the man who's girlfriend will be doing his:p sorry but you left yourself open to that one

mr_nick666
May 31st, 2006, 13:11
coming from the man who's girlfriend will be doing his:p sorry but you left yourself open to that one

Oh the shame!!! :(

bandit
May 31st, 2006, 13:39
LISTEN TO VETTACOSSX ON THIS ONE ;)

bring the mod chip and your psp to a local TV VCR or RADIO repairs shop ......let a Profesional do the job its a five min. deal and if done by a BUSYNESS and not some average smoe ( no offense)and something did happen THEY ( the electronic repair service shop that is) would be responsible so you COULD then go out get another psp bring it back to them untill they get the job done, i mean its got DIRECTIONS and if you have done this to others systems then you know that its ussually only a couple lil spots....not like the things these pro electritions deal with every day...lol... NOT A WHOLE BROKE CHIP BOARDS like these pros are use to.. so theres a 99.9% chance they will do a perfect job since they tackle much much bigger task on a regular basis ;)...it cost no shipping, its proffesionally done
and theres NO CHANCE of NOT leaving with a working psp ....seems they are resposible for your equipment working " AS WELL" as it did when you brought it to be serviced ;)
ive done this with ANY mod chip thats NOT solderless ....and with a 100% success rate i might add:)
First off, this is not always true. TV/Radio repair shops will ONLY deal with what they know. If they brick your PSP, they're not going to replace your PSP. They're not certified to modify a PSP nor know what to do. They arent liable for something they have no knowledge of.

Professionally done? Not really. They know how to solder professionally and deal with TV/Radios but not when it comes to a device they dont know. Its like taking your car for repair at a TV/Radio repair shop.

Those who are interested in getting theirs installed, wait until the chip is released. I have something up my sleeve that will help EVERYONE.

mog
May 31st, 2006, 14:45
lol, and I'm fussy. If the TV/Radio repair shop killed my PSP, i'd want a replacement to be the same PSP as mine...
I'd want a Japanese PSP, built on TA-079 hardware and firmware 1.00 installed :p

I definitely wouldn't want a replacement PSP with firmware 2.70 and the new version hardware TA-082...
According to 0okm, this new hardware may not even support the modchip!!!
The reason is that TA-082 seems to only support different flash chips that run at 1.8/1.8V, not the normal 3.0/2.5V !!
The Actel ProASIC Plus FPGA opperates at 3.0/2.5V so would not work on the new TA-082 boards if they only support 1.8V ! :eek:

jimjamjahaa
May 31st, 2006, 16:38
wahey

and i got at least 100 quid in the bank atm

loverly job

goll
October 18th, 2006, 13:47
Is there any further information in regards to getting the modchip fitted to bricked psps? if so is there a procedure in place which would allow me to send the PSP to the correct person for this work doing?

Cheers