PDA

View Full Version : PSP Creatures - Torture demo for 2.7 firmware (build 109)

Shallan
May 31st, 2006, 00:37
Finally the engine is running quite smooth and the core of the game is in place, all that now remains is for me to add a few extra functionalities and additional screens such as game over and the shop. What am I on about? Creatures! thats what, an attempt at cloning one of the finest C64 games ever created. Im now at a point where I need to show people what is to come and to get some feedback on bugs and suggestions. So I release (much in the same way the original on the c64 did) this torture screen demo. Email for feedback can be found on the first screen of the demo.

Download : http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/creatures/creatgame.swf

http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/creatures/shot1.gif
Chainsaw fun in Torture screen #1

http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/creatures/shot2.gif
One of the best "Get ready" screens ever seen on an 8 bit home console

http://www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/creatures/shot3.gif
Clyde has to deal with many baddies.

From the demo:

BUILD INFO : For this build I have introduced the first torture screen, in order to make testing simpler I have placed this screen first before level 1-1 for the time being. Ive also added the first 6 of the 8 weapon types and as such you will start the game with varying levels of these 6 weapons, pull down while pressing fire to select ingame.

TO DO: Add shop and game over sequence. Increase framerate as usual where possible. Finish level 1-1 including water lily ride and slime More music

CONTROLS : Use DPAD to move Clyde around, press X to fire, hold down X for a second and release for flame attack. Hold down X and pull down to bring up the weapon menu.
GAMEPLAY : On the torture screens you must rescue Clydes friend before he meets an untimely end. On the scrolling levels simply get to the end without dying, collect magic potion creatures for use in the shop at the end of each level

Points to note:
-To ensure peformance and avoid out of memory errors you must set your psp browser cache settings to "use none", this is done by going into Tools->settings->cache settings.
-Music and sound is in the game but you must have the PSP keytones turned on in the settings to hear it.
-This is currently online only so you will have to be connected to the internet in order to play as the game uses a dynamic loading system to allow a total game size over the flash limit on the PSP, this WILL change at final release when an offline version will be made available.
-Much of the game after the first few screens of Level1-1 is incomplete, this is being added as we speak and the latest build on my site will always be updated as I complete areas.
-This is a clone so please dont request things not in the original game, I suggest using an emulator to try out the original and compare

Have fun and keep the mails coming its helping alot!

MaxSMoke
May 31st, 2006, 04:36
OMG that game SUCKS! Not the code or programming, just the game itself. I just got done playing the Shockwave version.

The guy moves erratic and slow. There's no directions on what you are suppose to do. I died about 30 times in a row without getting past the big worm pooping little worms, and gave up. The number of things that need to be improved are immeasurable and help to remind me just how much games have improved over the 2 decades since that game was new.

Outside of making me VERY angry, I do have a few constructive suggestions:

#1. Graphics could use an update. Just smooth out all of the lines so everything isn't so pixalated. It would help it make alot easier to judge jumps.

#2. Smoother controls. Jumping and movement are erratic.

#3. Some game hints. Most of us haven't played that game, so we don't know much about it.

#4. Feel free to add more space between the platforms. You don't need to cram the graphics in 320x240 display like the original game. Feel free to spread out the platforms and increase the guy's jumping ability.

This is suppose to be an action/puzzle game, right? Well, the action is impossible and the puzzles are confusing. Pretend you've never played the game before, like most of us. Give us some help.

whitey75
May 31st, 2006, 04:49
I loved this game on c64 and have been hugely dissapointed each time an emulator comes out that doesn't run it! Well done make can't wait. Do u think these issues (like the shop) can be solved easily?

Tron_Fan
May 31st, 2006, 05:30
The programming is great and the game runs well on the PSP flash, however the game itself isn't all that much fun. I just died repeatedly, and didn't overly know what I was supposed to do. I shot the worm, but nothing ever happened. Kudos for the programming accomplishment but I probably won't play the game again.

Too bad you didn't choose to emulate Impossible Mission. That was the best game on the C-64 :)

Shallan
May 31st, 2006, 05:56
Thanks for the feedback appreciated:

I really do agree on the graphics, but at the moment with the sheer quantity of them and the need to scroll them in alot of the game there isn't really much i can do about it, to cut it short low res gifs work faster this way (though rest assured its a problem I am tackling)

Controls will be tweaked where possible, im looking into the possibility of using analog as welll as dpad giving the user the choice. I will however keep as close to the original control scheme as possble (meaning the c64 one :p )

As for hints well the original game didnt give any but if you want the torture screen solution its as follows (avert your eyes if you wanna figure it aout alone :) ):

1) Shoot the green guy and then jump up onto the platform as he rolls toward you
2) Go past where he came from and use flame breath (hold down fire + release) to light the cannon
3) Shoot the green guy again to make him roll again, and climb up to the worm.
4) Kill the worm (best to either stand at the far right and use straight shot as worms cant kill you there or use flame breath close up and jump over his spawns)
5) Shoot the rock until it falls off and launches the cannonball off thee seesaw
6) Grin happily as Chip is saved.

Again thanks for the input it all helps to giving 2.7 users something worthwhile.

Oh and @ Whitey75 ... Thanks to the method of Dynamically loading content I should manage to get most of the game in place, things like the shop and additional levels are just a matter of time

mr_nick666
May 31st, 2006, 09:43
Im a 1.5 user myself but Ive got to say good work! :) Without people like you pushing forward where would the 2.7ers be?? Alone and homebrewless! ;)

Cloud_35
June 1st, 2006, 03:18
Right, this opens new ways to coders to make some hmbrw for 2.7

Take that Sony!!!:)

Tron_Fan
June 1st, 2006, 06:34
Until 2.8 which removes the "file:/" option from the browser. Mark my words!!!!! ;)

I have a neat little PSP 2.7 Snake game I am trying to upload to some server space somewhere. Anyone interested in hosting it?

Shallan
June 1st, 2006, 11:17
If you send it to me I can put it on my space tron :)

And thanks again guys for testing this out. Next version will come with an offline edition and an installer which im hoping (all things going well) will install the game onto the memory stick in the correct place and also create a bookmark entry in the browser for it :)

Tron_Fan
June 1st, 2006, 16:07
Sure, I can do that. Did you want to PM me your e-mail address or something? Just FYI, this is not a snake game that *I* coded, perse. It's a tutorial that I got online and was looking to use it to code my own snake game, when I realized that it's already pretty much perfect for the PSP. I changed the dimensions on it a little, and made a "PSP Snake" splash screen for it, but it's all this guys code:

http://www.strille.net/tutorials/snake/index.php

I havn't asked him permission to post this since he freely posted his source code, and I'm not trying to take credit for his work. I figure it would be OK.

Let me know where to send the .swf file if you're still interested.

Shallan
June 2nd, 2006, 12:44
Snake game online here -> Snake (www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/extras/snake.swf)

Let me know if you want me to link it from my site, I have a plan to maybe replace the music page with a 3rd party flash page containing flash from everyone else along with maybe some tutorials on coding games for the psp.

Tron_Fan
June 2nd, 2006, 23:19
Thanks for posting that.

Forever~Zero
June 3rd, 2006, 10:50
Snake game online here -> Snake (www12.asphost4free.com/shallan/extras/snake.swf)

Let me know if you want me to link it from my site, I have a plan to maybe replace the music page with a 3rd party flash page containing flash from everyone else along with maybe some tutorials on coding games for the psp.

That would be great. I am personally a fan of some of your works.

bruntie2
June 6th, 2006, 16:43
shallan on your game i did what you said for the "torture" bit on creatures and when i'd done everything, the cannon didn't effect the guy when it hit him, and i randomly died!

Shallan
June 6th, 2006, 17:33
Ok thanks Bruntie will look into it :)