PDA

View Full Version : The dreamcast VGA Box

steveola
April 28th, 2004, 18:29
Does anyone know if there are any differences or incompatibilities between Japan / Europe VGA boxes?

I need to know if a UK VGA box would work on a Jap DC.

I have a UK VGA box but it doesnt work with my import titles, so I was going to try a VGA box manufactured in a different region, or maybe get a Jap DC with Jap VGA box.

Anyone got any ideas?

wraggster
April 28th, 2004, 19:05
Isnt there a region free vga box for the Dreamcast?

steveola
April 30th, 2004, 20:00
Dunno, but I have finally solved my problem with a software workaround.

The Gameshark CDX disc allows booting of imports using VGA (unlike the the UK Action Replay).

So, I can stop flapping about it now! :)

quzar
May 6th, 2004, 07:47
All VGA boxes are region free because they work on the same frequency, and enable the DC to output that mode as opposed to other systems where VGA boxes convert the analog signal to digital.

Propeller
May 6th, 2004, 09:16
Yes, they are 60Hz-only boxes.

Propeller

steveola
May 8th, 2004, 00:26
Yes, I know they OUTPUT at the same frequency, thats damned obvious!

BUT,

I wan't sure if they all accepted PAL & NTSC input together. I thought maybe Jap VGA boxes only converted NTSC signals to VGA, and European VGA boxes only converted PAL signals to VGA, and that the repective boxes just didn't register when an alien input format was present.

(did that make any sense?)

Anyway, I couldn't understand why I couldn't get NTSC games to function on my VGA box, but the problem seems to have been with the boot process, rather than the end video output mode.

quzar
May 9th, 2004, 04:20
Like i said, the VGA box does not actually convert anything. The dreamcast VGA box just enables a VGA mode that the dreamcast can output naturally. one pin grounded tells the DC to output VGA mode and that is what the box does, it then passes that output to a monitor. No conversion required. That is why it can be found for 15 USD whereas other VGA boxes are around 50-100

steveola
May 9th, 2004, 14:22
Aye, you are correct,

that will be why not all games can display their output in VGA mode.

So, am I right in assuming that VGA Box compatible games have their output converted to TV compatible signal by the DC internally?

Or does the game output 2 signals, 1 for VGA and one for TV mode?

If so, wouldn't this increase the workload of the processor?

Or have I got it all wrong (again)?

wraggster
May 9th, 2004, 14:46
does the vga box display all games even those that havent got a vga mode?

steveola
May 9th, 2004, 19:55
No, on some games you get a system message saying that the game doesnt support the AV cable connected.

Even if you 'trick' the game into booting with the use of a boot disc, all you get is a black screen.

wraggster
May 9th, 2004, 20:13
i wont bother then

steveola
May 9th, 2004, 21:00
I would say it is WELL worth getting because:

A - its so cheap.
B - you would be surprised at how many games support it.

Out of my 59 original games, only 11 are incompatible. *Some dont even have the VGA icon on the reverse but work fine.

And plenty of homebrew stuff is fine too.

wraggster
May 9th, 2004, 21:02
if i can pick up a cheap un i may suffice :)

Kamjin
May 10th, 2004, 10:59
It's worth it..

While I much prefer rotting on the couch and playing, there's tons
of little details that don't show up on a generic TV.. so occasionally
I'll play on the VGA..

the other thing is there's one model I like that's a cheap HK deal..
it has VGA,Svideo,Composite.. so it's kind of like an all in one box..
they usually go for about $15US or 10 pounds..

quzar
May 10th, 2004, 11:55
it also has 2 headphone/speaker ports which is cool for shooting games (2 players each wearing headphones, it increases the feel hehe)

souLLy
May 11th, 2004, 20:56
know anywhere online in the uk that sells them cheap? i'll try ebay if not anyways...

wraggster
May 11th, 2004, 21:18
whats the best VGA box to to buy oh and cheap too :)

Vorrtexx
May 11th, 2004, 23:44
Lik-Sang have one for less than £6
I picked it up a couple of months ago...basically done what I needed it to do.
VGA output, 1 headphone jack also, so you'd need stereo speakers connected, or headphones itself.
I'm certain it's not the best, but it worked fine for what I needed, and it was the cheapest I found.

Kamjin
May 12th, 2004, 07:19
Yeah that's the VGA Cable model.. they other one needs a
little more hunting down, but is probably better..
Since it's pretty much a replacement for all the cables..
minus the scart..
You can check the http://www.jandaman.com/ as we
were talking about in the other thread they have a
pic of it there.. but they're out of stock.

steveola
May 12th, 2004, 21:21
And dont be tempted to buy one of them 'All In One' VGA converters (the ones you can use with PS2, XBox, Etc.) because the quality is really crud.

The image is all fuzzy and washed out.

The DC specific ones will give you the perfect PC crispness you need for your gaming!

wraggster
May 12th, 2004, 21:24
ill keep that in mind :)

souLLy
May 13th, 2004, 11:13
hmm nice... do all vga box/cables have the necessary outputs to a tv card that would let you take screenshots or just some of them?

guymelef
June 20th, 2004, 03:08
there is a difference in all in one vga boxes I was reading about them on lik-sang a year ago and I'll just tell you to wait about another year. *what most of them do if I recall correctly is just digitize the whole picture as a solid picture instead of keeping the individual pixels alive, the result is blurry to grainy type interference (like those crappy pelican tv switch boxes). *but as for the DC proprietary vga box -IMO it's a must have. although compatibility is not 100% and utopia has a problem with it, some games were meant to play on a vga. like PSO v1v2 and BERSERK, jet grind radio, marvel vs capcom2. and for some games you can get a rgb patch from -link deleted for content-guymelef- well as the usual pal<->ntsc patches and even a few trainers. oh crap I hope I don't piss me anyone off with that comment. send me a message and i'll toss the it.

guymelef
June 20th, 2004, 03:11
by the way IMO the blaze dcvga box is the best. two headphone jacks with independant volume. stereo rca audio out and video for TV operation, standard vga output and a toggle switch for them both. I got mine at EB of all places, used for only like 9.95 USD about 3 years ago.

shinaku
June 20th, 2004, 14:09
Hey, Shin the newbie here.

I got given a VGA adapter from a friend when he gave me all his "old" DC stuff. It works in all types of Dreamcast and come with a switch between VGA and stereo speakers, and the composite yellow video and the red and white audio plugs. Thats from the shop Game in the UK and there not too much on ebay now.