PDA

View Full Version : Damnit, my HDTV just died....

Mourningstar
May 31st, 2006, 12:49
So I was watching TV and it suddenly made a lound cracking/sparking sound and went off...

Now when I turn it on its just a blank screen with sparks shooting out of the back.

Its also making a burning smell...took me awhile to notice it since I smoke.

My 360, satelite and stereo are all hooked to the same surge protector as my HDTV and they all still work fine...

Could it have been a fuse blowing?

Anyone know what might have happened?

Tomlo
May 31st, 2006, 17:37
Ya its likely shot, the Tvs powersupply blew. Not from an outside blast or the surge protector would stop it but its powersupply went and it probally didnt have a "surge protector" (MOV) built in so It took the rest of the tv with it. Companys like to cheap out on powersupplys. You could try replacing the fuse but I doubt it would resurect it.

Is the smell like melting solder?

Open it up and look for where its burned maybe you just need to replace a capacitor or something.

ptr.exe
June 14th, 2006, 17:10
When PSUs die and are protected by a surge protector - ie. they didnt die from a surge, they usually don't take what they're connected to. Probably just a cheap capacitor has blown.

If the TV is no longer under warranty then open it up look for the PSU, will a seperate board that the mains plug went into. There will most likely be some large capacitors, check they are not burnt at the base.

If they are then replace with the same value ones.

Could get the TV up and running, although be careful - large capacitors can hold high voltage charges for a long time after they're unplugged/turned off.

Good luck :)

Zion
June 14th, 2006, 21:39
Hopefully you can fix it :p

matthewmcg
July 19th, 2006, 18:36
try shouting at it

Computer_kid
July 28th, 2006, 04:25
Is it still under warranty, if it is not, you are most likely screwed!