PDA

View Full Version : "Three Strikes" To Go Ahead In Britain

wraggster
October 28th, 2009, 20:51
Lord Peter Mandelson has carefully ignored the Gowers Report and the Carter Report, instead taking the advice of his good friend David Geffen and announcing that 'three strikes and you're out' will become law in Britain. The Open Rights Group has, of course, hit the roof. Oh, and never mind MI5 and the police pointing out that widespread encryption will become normal, hampering their efforts to keep up with little things like impending terrorist atrocities. Still, worth it to stop a few Lily Allen tracks being shared, right?"

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/10/28/1344203/Three-Strikes-To-Go-Ahead-In-Britain

dazman
October 28th, 2009, 22:59
So if I download then I face a long sentence. baby P killer gets 21 months.

I guess that music and movies are worth more than a childs life!!!.

I feel sick for this world.

symbal
October 28th, 2009, 23:30
Prison overcrowding and the massive piracy problem doesn't really fit well together, they'll probably use this like speed cameras as a stealth tax.

Darksaviour69
October 28th, 2009, 23:34
i think the 3 strikes means, after your 3rd warning you lose you broadband for a year, not a criminal sentence

symbal
October 28th, 2009, 23:44
To some people losing your internet is worse than a criminal sentence, they could be losing complete second or third lives.

osgeld
October 29th, 2009, 04:14
To some people losing your internet is worse than a criminal sentence, they could be losing complete second or third lives.

Grow up

jungletek
October 29th, 2009, 09:23
Grow up

Sounds a bit short-sighted.

What if one telecommutes, or otherwise works from home? Etc. There's many reasons why this law is as myopic as your response.

Insomniac-Evolution
October 29th, 2009, 09:50
File sharing sites is the problem, but can that be stopped? i mean how easy it is to google a movie/album followed by an upload site in the search, it's so easy that it's too tempting than to just go buy it... I agree it's wrong to pirate, but it's like yin n yang and most ppl online will at some point, but im sure they got enough money in the music and movie business, not saying do pirate and lol @ osgeld that was funny, humour doesn't mean growing up :p

symbal
October 29th, 2009, 13:01
Sounds a bit short-sighted.

What if one telecommutes, or otherwise works from home? Etc. There's many reasons why this law is as myopic as your response.

Yeah and there is a quickly growing number of people so attached to the internet now that it can actually be psychologically damaging to remove them from that, and i'll happily grow up if it helps people understand my point.

PoorKingz
October 29th, 2009, 20:06
If you're stupid enough to get caught three times then you deserve to have your internet taken away.