PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus WIP News (N64 Emu) From StrmnNrmn

wraggster
June 1st, 2006, 00:33
StrmnNrmn (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/) posted this news:

I've been really busy working on the new dynarec engine, so I've not been posting as frequently as I'd like. I've made a lot of progress in the following areas:

Most integer arithmetic and logical instructions now implemented (i.e I'm now generating optimised assembly for these instructions rather than calling a generic function to handle them

Regsiter caching implemented (although I'm only using a greedy allocation algorithm at the moment, as I've not yet fully implemented the fast linear scan algorithm I talked about in the previous post)

I'm directly linking all direct branches to compiled fragments

I'm linking to all indirect branch targets

So far I'd say I'm around 40-50% through the work on the dynarec engine.

Now for some stats :) The following table compares the framerates at various points (previous framerate is for the R4 release of Daedalus, current framerate is for my most recent development build):

Previous Framerate (Hz) Current Framerate (Hz)

Mario Head 3 6
Mario Main Menu 14 25
Mario Peach Letter 6-7 11
Mario Flyby (under bridge) 6 10
Mario In Game 5-6 9
Mario Kart Nintendo logo 10 23
Mario Kart Flag 6 11
Mario Kart Menu 7 11
Zelda Nintendo Logo 20 23
Zelda Start Menu 2-3 4
Zelda Main Menu 10 13

Overall I'd say the dynarec is currently achieving up to a 100% speedup in the roms I've tested, which I'm very excited about. Mario is certainly starting to feel a lot more playable, and the Mario Kart menus are a lot more responsive now.

I specifically included Zelda in the results because I'm not seeing the same kind of results there, so I need to take a closer look at what's going on there (it's quite possible it's just using a few of the arithmetic and logical ops I've not spent time optimising yet).

A twofold improvement in framerate is pretty good, but I now think I can do a lot better. Here's the list of things I currently have on my 'TODO' list:

Fully implement all the remaining integer ops (including all the 64 bit instructions)
Finalise implementation of the fast linear scan register allocation algorithm

Keep track of 'known' values for specific registers and use this to optimise the generated code (e.g. most of the time the top half of the N64's 64 bit registers is just sign extended from the lower half)

Cache the memory location pointer to by the N64 stack pointer (SP) and optimise load/stores using this register as a base pointer

Optimise all memory access instructions (currently all the cached registers get flushed for all memory accesses other than LW/SW/LWC1 and SWC1)

Detect and optimise 'busy wait' loops (e.g. many roms sit in a tight loop waiting for the next vertical blank interrupt to fire which is just wasting cycles on the PSP)

Implement all the branching instructions (I've currently only implemented BNE, BEQ, BLEZ and BGTZ)

Implement instructions and register caching for all the cop1 (floating point coprocessor) instructions. (I think this will give a huge speedup.)

Although the list is quite short, there's quite a lot of work there. What I'm quite excited about is that I think these changes will start to provide significant speedups as they're implemented. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I'm starting to feel that certain roms are going to be very playable in the not too distant future.

I'm going to try and release a new version of the emulator soon. Unfortunately it's probably not going to be this weekend (due to various social commitments); towards the end of the following week is more likely. I'd certainly like to get a version released before the World Cup starts and all my free time is taken up watching football :)

-StrmnNrmn

luis_05
June 1st, 2006, 00:36
sweet dude!! keep up the good work!! I will be waiting here patiently until u release it!!

Zion
June 1st, 2006, 00:50
Exellent news strmmnrmm. Keep it up!

V3N0M
June 1st, 2006, 00:51
Very good i'm glad to here from you and your progress is astounding.

sroon
June 1st, 2006, 00:57
Alire.. im looking forward to the new release....
ZELDA!!!

Wally
June 1st, 2006, 01:00
this should feed cake into some of the other devs mouths!

After all this works we need sound! :P

Jonesyxxiv
June 1st, 2006, 01:03
Awesome I can wait for the next release!

pokothehobo
June 1st, 2006, 01:04
good to hear!

shiftybill
June 1st, 2006, 01:08
keep it up dude, and go australia in the world cup!!

felonyr301
June 1st, 2006, 01:17
great man keep up the great work and i cant wait lol

Searching4me123
June 1st, 2006, 01:59
oh man cant wait, cant wait, cant wait, etc..

pkmaximum
June 1st, 2006, 02:31
I take the credit for the heads up on this one wraggster :P. Well anyway I'm also really looking foward to the progress that Strmmmmn is making on this emulator. I'm surprised that Zelda actually goes in game to the menus to me that is pretty impressive seeing the mass size to the rom.

vettacossx
June 1st, 2006, 02:31
VETTA HAS A QUESTION STRNM
???????????????????????????????
IF everything is running this much faster...then I CANT EVEN IMAGINE how fast F-ZERO X is!!!!!
it was 20 - 28 FPS IN YOUR R4 RELEASE IT RUNS FASTEST OUT OF EVERY ROM IVE TESTED!!!

HOW FAST IS IT NOW???

Cooe14
June 1st, 2006, 04:04
I take the credit for the heads up on this one wraggster :P. Well anyway I'm also really looking foward to the progress that Strmmmmn is making on this emulator. I'm surprised that Zelda actually goes in game to the menus to me that is pretty impressive seeing the mass size to the rom.
Dude Zelda went all the way in-game on R4 and was playable (though it went about 2fps).

ExcruciationX
June 1st, 2006, 04:30
Good job StrmnNrmn! Hope to see your R5 release soon!!!

Video_freak
June 1st, 2006, 04:33
keep up the awesome work. i can see that this emulator still has an amazing future.

shadowprophet
June 1st, 2006, 04:34
I will admit, I was starting to think you had forgoten about us strn:p
Im glad to hear your still working on this :)

rmg060606
June 1st, 2006, 05:00
n64 emulator would be sexy i cant wait till its 100% i love n64 its a classic system

vettacossx
June 1st, 2006, 05:16
I wish I was a DCEmu mod...... and as long as I'm dreaming I'd also like a $1,000,000. :rolleyes:

being a moderator is HARD WORK and to be honest with you......ive seen you double post ALOT and post every other post for entire threads time after time....and this is just a genral observance.....then there was the huge argument of your in the original daedlious forum...that went on for pages and pages and no COOIE DID NOT START IT....and actually if you look back on that day in forum history you will see vetta WAS ON COOEI14's side ;)..but you cant be a mod and waste that much forum space i remember i had to contact kaiser so he could clean up the thread after the 7 page arguement NOT somthing a mod does...its best to try and be respectfull and agree to dis-agree.....like i do about you being a moderator..lol .DCEMU MODERATORS are gr8 with every one do you know why???.....they give you 3 things other people dont have CONSISTANTLY
TRUST RESPECT AND COMMUNICATION
these are the key to a good relationship between members....or any other for that matter...WITH THAT SAID and off my chest ;)
..i think your a gr8 member and more over i agree with you quite often on alot off topics you have alot of gr8 ideas..so i do have a gr8 deal of respect for you...but the way you like to argue .....for pages at times.....not cool.....not mod material...;) ....please dont be mad .....i like you alot cooie but just look at this as honest critisizm :)
our buddy's dark,1time ,and my personal fav canadian KAISER all work very very hard and so i would not take the position so lightly ITS NOT HOW MANY POSTS YOU HAVE..ROFLMAO .that makes you mod material....even though thats a common and FUNNY beleaf among the YOUNGER dcemu (PADAWON) members no offense to my educated young friends and co-members ;) (like the talented pspdemon for example;) )

shadowprophet
June 1st, 2006, 05:30
One flaw and the noobs come running like a pack of wild dogs with nothing better to do but point out and whine about flaws,:cool:
Sigh.

Broonale
June 1st, 2006, 05:36
We really apreciate the efforts!

Thanks!

vettacossx
June 1st, 2006, 05:41
and we wonder why shadow brandishes his wiffle bat and eats people souls?? hes not a bad guy...he's not MAD....lmao....hes mis-understood ;)

Cooe14
June 1st, 2006, 05:45
being a moderator is HARD WORK and to be honest with you......ive seen you double post ALOT and post every other post for entire threads time after time....and this is just a genral observance.....then there was the huge argument of your in the original daedlious forum...that went on for pages and pages and no COOIE DID NOT START IT....and actually if you look back on that day in forum history you will see vetta WAS ON COOEI14's side ;)..but you cant be a mod and waste that much forum space i remember i had to contact kaiser so he could clean up the thread after the 7 page arguement NOT somthing a mod does...its best to try and be respectfull and agree to dis-agree.....like i do about you being a moderator..lol .DCEMU MODERATORS are gr8 with every one do you know why???.....they give you 3 things other people dont have CONSISTANTLY
TRUST RESPECT AND COMMUNICATION
these are the key to a good relationship between members....or any other for that matter...WITH THAT SAID and off my chest ;)
..i think your a gr8 member and more over i agree with you quite often on alot off topics you have alot of gr8 ideas..so i do have a gr8 deal of respect for you...but the way you like to argue .....for pages at times.....not cool.....not mod material...;) ....please dont be mad .....i like you alot cooie but just look at this as honest critisizm :)
our buddy's dark,1time ,and my personal fav canadian KAISER all work very very hard and so i would not take the position so lightly ITS NOT HOW MANY POSTS YOU HAVE..ROFLMAO .that makes you mod material....even though thats a common and FUNNY beleaf among the YOUNGER dcemu (PADAWON) members no offense to my educated young friends and co-members ;) (like the talented pspdemon for example;) )
Wow that was hipocritcal. (Way off-topic) and I RARLY double post (maybe 6 times) and if you remember that argument I was trying to stop it since the second page, but "he" carried it on FOREVER (most of my posts in that arguement were telling him to stop). I am have been a mod in other forums and I know it's hard work, and if you look at my sig it says "dreaming". Now time for your "honest critisizm" I have seen you do everything you have accused me of so please don't tell me what I do wrong. I like you too vetta, but you seem to act like you are a mod a lot of the time. Again no offense, but I don't think your the one to make that judgement.

Gizmo356
June 1st, 2006, 05:46
i cant wait for r5

V3N0M
June 1st, 2006, 05:52
I really don't care what it says by my name. What i care about is the respect i have with many others here at DCEmu. If you notice my banner, i am willing to help ever one. I notice that people get mad at noob questions and start flamming. I remmember how it felt starting out and knowing absolutly nothing. All most every bit of knowledge i have is from teaching my self. Nearly all of it came from google lol any question that has ever been asked has already been asked and answered. Aloung with the help of my buddy Vetta that i met later and learned alot from him, through the same way i now help people. By a banner. I've picked up things here and there. And as my way of giving back all that i've learned i decided to help people and ever bit of knowledge i know to them and have yet another great member of this community.

-sorry, Since we were off off topic i just wanted to add my personal opinion.

shadowprophet
June 1st, 2006, 05:54
That you vettacossx and you cooe14,
Are two of my favorite users:p
I think the world of both of you guys,
Dont argue you guys are both suave mofos :p
Did I mention When to completely cool people argue with each other, it opens a rift in the space time continuem that could collapse the souls of everyone watching:eek:
You guys woudlnt want to do that to everyone would you :plol

V3N0M
June 1st, 2006, 05:58
Wow that was hipocritcal. (Way off-topic) and I RARLY double post (maybe 6 times) and if you remember that argument I was trying to stop it since the second page, but "he" carried it on FOREVER (most of my posts in that arguement were telling him to stop). I am have been a mod in other forums and I know it's hard work, and if you look at my sig it says "dreaming". Now time for your "honest critisizm" I have seen you do everything you have accused me of so please don't tell me what I do wrong. I like you too vetta, but you seem to act like you are a mod a lot of the time. Again no offense, but I don't think your the one to make that judgement.

He is a modder and i know, I am friends with him and have seen his work. Even worked with him on some occasions.BTW just chill if you are in a fight just stop posting back as it will only continue the fight plus the other person will look like an idiot fighting by him self.

Cooe14
June 1st, 2006, 05:59
I really don't care what it says by my name. What i care about is the respect i have with many others here at DCEmu. If you notice my banner, i am willing to help ever one. I notice that people get mad at noob questions and start flamming. I remmember how it felt starting out and knowing absolutly nothing. All most every bit of knowledge i have is from teaching my self. Nearly all of it came from google lol any question that has ever been asked has already been asked and answered. Aloung with the help of my buddy Vetta that i met later and learned alot from him, through the same way i now help people. By a banner. I've picked up things here and there. And as my way of giving back all that i've learned i decided to help people and ever bit of knowledge i know to them and have yet another great member of this community.

-sorry, Since we were off off topic i just wanted to add my personal opinion.
I totally agree Respect=#1, and I too dislike people who filp out when someone asks a noob question, I try to anwser to the best of my ability.

This topic has gotten horribly de-railed :D

vettacossx
June 1st, 2006, 06:50
indeed it has now we have said our peace AGAIN shall we agree to disagree cooie14..MATURLEY....;) ....as i dont DESIRE to be a moderator . we dont NEED more cheifs with indians like us ;)..besides ..lmao and ive already descussed this topic with OUR moderators so ....im not to concerned ;)

on a lighter note :D its good we all agree on the fact that this is a gr8 cummunity and cooie14 is a gr8 part of it as well i dont want to portray the wrong message here...its gr8 to have friends like you here at DCemu who WANT to help out... even if i do feel that WE are not up to standards if you compare to the EXISTING AWSOME STAFF with KAISER ,DARK,1TIME, AND SHADOW PROPHET.....this site is hard core under controll for the few moderators we have they MORE than do there PART...

sorry to get off topic regardless of other comments im done with this descussion if thats what it is...lol...until STRNM gets back to us about the amazing speed of f-zero x.....although its not the best graphicly OMG is it ever the fastest ive seen so far!!!

Cooe14
June 1st, 2006, 06:56
indeed it has now we have said our peace AGAIN shall we agree to disagree cooie14..MATURLEY....;) ....as i dont DESIRE to be a modder ....lmao and ive already descussed this topic with OUR modders so ....im not to concerned ;)
What's with the coo"i"e thing :D

Anyway time to put this back on topic it's wierd how the dynarec doesn't affect Zelda that much.

vettacossx
June 1st, 2006, 07:12
<HR style="COLOR: #ccc" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->That you vettacossx and you cooe14,

Are two of my favorite users:p
I think the world of both of you guys,
Dont argue you guys are both suave mofos :p
Did I mention When to completely cool people argue with each other, it opens a rift in the space time continuem that could collapse the souls of everyone watching:eek:
You guys woudlnt want to do that to everyone would you :plol

now theres an awsome mod... ;)

sorry about that bro... didnt want to spell it right for fear of the whole space time thingie....ripping ;)
lmao

and zelda is a huge rom in size so its hard to say...after dynamic recompiler is done we will know our problem roms...if its like the PC version of daedlious OO7 will be a pain....lol<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Kramer
June 1st, 2006, 07:35
great news to come home to
cant wait for r5

vettacossx
IF everything is running this much faster...then I CANT EVEN IMAGINE how fast F-ZERO X is!!!!!
it was 20 - 28 FPS IN YOUR R4 RELEASE IT RUNS FASTEST OUT OF EVERY ROM IVE TESTED!!!

whats the exact name of your f-zero X rom cos mines not going that fast

idapimp
June 1st, 2006, 09:00
i dont know exactly which one he is using or if it gets up to 28 fps but i can vouch that that it is a HELL of a lot faster than any of the other games. graphics are damn glitchy also.

mr_nick666
June 1st, 2006, 09:25
This is great news! :D Great work StrmnNrmn :cool: Cant wait to try a new release... :)

ENGLAND for the cup! :p

P.S: I think vettacossx and cooe14 should get a room! ;) Lol! - Thanks for your input guys! :) Only on this forum would a problem be solved so quickly :D

yamaneko
June 1st, 2006, 15:13
show....

Cooe14
June 1st, 2006, 17:49
P.S: I think vettacossx and cooe14 should get a room! ;) Lol!
I don't know what your incinuating there, but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't work due to the fact that i'm a GUY and vetta's a GUY. geez :D

pkmaximum
June 1st, 2006, 19:35
I also hope that Zelda works in the future along with Golden Eye 007 as those were to great games that I played for hours. :)

P.S. Brasil, Or the United States for the Cup.
Brasil-The previous winner and my home country!!:)

sroon
June 1st, 2006, 20:27
OK zelda in going from 4 to 6 and that is with 100MHZ isn tit? so if we use IRShell and speed it up to 333MHZ then Whaoly fingers in nose it will go so fast then!!!

BrooksyX
June 1st, 2006, 20:37
good news. hope a good gui and at least 4k saving is added soon.

oh and veta im sorry but you are a big hypocrite, you cry about all the spamming. Yet you spam alot and you can never even read your posts. They give me a hedache(other people have mentioned this too.)

OK zelda in going from 4 to 6 and that is with 100MHZ isn tit? so if we use IRShell and speed it up to 333MHZ then Whaoly fingers in nose it will go so fast then!!!

stock speed is 222 mhz not 100 mhz. Plus daedelus runs at 333 mhz. Even if you do use irshell(which i still dont think really works) you will only get .5 fps speed up on average.

gunntims0103
June 1st, 2006, 22:16
hope that you keep this emu e-loader friendly because if not il cry like a sissy girl...... not kidding........lol

acn010
June 1st, 2006, 22:53
omg omg omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
omg omg omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and i thought that it was the end end of the N64 emulator. and even came out a beter news!!!
faster? YES!!!!!!!!!!! zelda, mario!
any chance for super smash bros. meelee playable?!?
can't wait anymore!!!!
LMFAO XD

V3N0M
June 2nd, 2006, 00:19
If he got Zelda to run theres a big chance that smash bros will run great....with some good coding anything is possible.

Shiesty
June 2nd, 2006, 01:39
i never thought loading the games would even be possible, so this is very titilating news

time to go buy a bigger mem stick

acn010
June 2nd, 2006, 01:51
i never thought loading the games would even be possible, so this is very titilating news

no need unless you got a 32mb stick.
you can zip the file, but the rom must be renamed, example:
super mario 64.z64 to super mario 64.v64
then zip it (but dont ultra compress it or the emu will not read it)
and thats it.

V3N0M
June 2nd, 2006, 01:55
I didn't know it needed to be named differently when it is ziped. What if it is not ziped and named .v64? or can it be named both?

Cooe14
June 2nd, 2006, 03:40
If he got Zelda to run theres a big chance that smash bros will run great....with some good coding anything is possible.
Zelda already runs on R4.

pokemon_4_life_ese
June 2nd, 2006, 04:24
AHHHH!!! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY LONGER!!! THE WAITING IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! AHHHHH!!!!!
*jumps off bridge and dies*

V3N0M
June 2nd, 2006, 05:52
Zelda already runs on R4.

I ment he got zelda to run and that make smash bros. (smaller game) more likely to run at a good speed.

vettacossx
June 2nd, 2006, 20:47
oh and veta im sorry but you are a big hypocrite, you cry about all the spamming. Yet you spam alot and you can never even read your posts. They give me a hedache(other people have mentioned this too.)
NOW THATS FUNNY COMMING FROM THE GUY WHOM STARTED THE ARGUEMENT WITH cooe AND CAUSED A 7 PAGE SPAM (of wich i still have a recept from KAISER who was nice enough to clean it up) ;) so aww ....whos the hypocrite ....lmao @ big mace as we speak..PLEASE

originally posted by Kramer
whats the exact name of your f-zero X rom cos mines not going that fast

my f-zero rom is a V64 rom and its called F-Zero X (E) [h1] (cartname)

its graphics are still all pink and black but hit the select button and read the framerate i couldnt beleave it !!! WOW was i ever impressed ...OMG fastest rom ive tried ....even if the game isnt a gr8 one it shows just how fast it CAN go ;)

now if it only went that fast with zelda ....lol but strnm is comming along niceley ;) look at the new framerates from
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD>Scene</TD><TD>Previous Framerate (Hz)</TD><TD>Current Framerate (Hz)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mario Head</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>6</TD></TR>
http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/<TR><TD>Mario Main Menu</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>25</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Mario Peach Letter</TD><TD>6-7</TD><TD>11</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Mario Flyby (under bridge)</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>10</TD></TR>sorry about the extra space it seems it came with my copy and paste ...lol

<TR><TD>Mario In Game</TD><TD>5-6</TD><TD>9</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Mario Kart Nintendo logo</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>23</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Mario Kart Flag</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>11</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Mario Kart Menu</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>11</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Zelda Nintendo Logo</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>23</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Zelda Start Menu</TD><TD>2-3</TD><TD>4</TD></TR><TR><TD>Zelda Main Menu</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>13</TD></TR>

</TBODY></TABLE>

Zion
June 2nd, 2006, 20:54
Yeah, the emulator is progressing nicely :D

acn010
June 3rd, 2006, 00:28
yes it is, yes it is~~~~~~~
-_-'
XD

sroon
June 3rd, 2006, 05:46

Hey! big guy. any word with "tits" or whatever is only to be said by me!!!

...See, that is real spamming.

shadowprophet
June 3rd, 2006, 05:54
Real ones look like this
/(. )( .)\
See you forgot to add the arms :p

the one and only
June 3rd, 2006, 09:40
um, i swear the nipples are round...

shadowprophet
June 3rd, 2006, 09:43
um, i swear the nipples are round...
:p

sroon
June 4th, 2006, 19:12
HAHA you guys arr sooo fugged!!

sroon
June 4th, 2006, 19:14
Hey Shadowprophet..
Read my new sig!

shadowprophet
June 4th, 2006, 23:30
Hey Shadowprophet..
Read my new sig!
Yay :D Those are the kind I would squeeze :p

Cooe14
June 5th, 2006, 02:11
The thread has gone so far off-topic (from N64 to the shape of boobs shadowprophet wants to squeeze:p) it's flippen hilarious :D.

Zion
June 5th, 2006, 02:22
LOL! :p

Kramer
June 5th, 2006, 17:56
There will be sound support, but I think speed and compatibility are more important at the moment (any audio will sound horrible until the emulator is running at close to full speed).

Save is definitely a big priority. It shouldn't be too hard to get working, but again I don't think it's a priority until some of the compatibility and performance issues are addressed. A better GUI is definitely required too (if just to allow the controller to be reconfigured on a rom by rom basis)

BrooksyX
June 5th, 2006, 20:44
I personally think that a new gui is required for the next release with profiles for each game due to the control issue. Also i think that 4k eeprom saving is needed because the games like mario 64 and starfox are becoming playable and it would be nice to be able to save your progress. Seriously i would probably have played about half way through mario 64 if there was saving even with it at 6 fps.

Anyways I cant wait for the next release!:D

Cooe14
June 5th, 2006, 20:49
I personally think that a new gui is required for the next release with profiles for each game due to the control issue. Also i think that 4k eeprom saving is needed because the games like mario 64 and starfox are becoming playable and it would be nice to be able to save your progress. Seriously i would probably have played about half way through mario 64 if there was saving even with it at 6 fps.

Anyways I cant wait for the next release!:D
Indeed saving would be a really nice thing to have.

sroon
June 6th, 2006, 02:12
This friday is going to be awsome, because the new Deadalus Emu is cumming out and I dont have to work on friday(.)(.)

OPPS!! Sorry Shadow
/(.)(.)\
heehee I should have the title of "Titty Master"
Cuz shadow has his own "special" name!