PDA

View Full Version : Portable MasterMind V1.1

wraggster
June 1st, 2006, 22:24
KennethDM posted this news/release:

This is my first homebrew attempt, it's a simple-concept, but not so easy to win. The goal is simple, you have to find out what the secret code is.

At the main menu, you can choose if you want to play vs the computer or vs another player.
If you choose 2 player mode, one player has to enter the code, confirm with X, and then hand
over the psp to the other player, who has to guess the code.

version 1.1:
- improved GUI
- skinnable
- 2 player mode
- battery display
- time display
- major code cleanup

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments
via KennethDM (http://forums.qj.net/showthread.php?t=52819)

mog
June 2nd, 2006, 01:53
!!!
thankyou! this game rules...
I remember playing that a lot when I was younger, before I had computers. :)

Its working fine on 1.0, other than the fact that I somehow lost the first time I tried! :(

UPDATE:
Played several times now, I managed to win on second try on one of the rounds, no lucky guess on first try yet.
I have a question though...
The player is given six attempts to get the right answer, but how come even if you guess correct on your sixth attempt you still loose? :confused:
I know you should always be able to logically figure out the answer by your fifth attempt, but it still...

kennethdm
June 2nd, 2006, 13:49
I think you are mistaken, if you win on the last attempt, the messagebox you get says you won in 6 attempts... just tested it (again), so don't really know how this can be, are you sure you haven't made a mistake or something?

mog
June 2nd, 2006, 15:33
I think you are mistaken, if you win on the last attempt, the messagebox you get says you won in 6 attempts... just tested it (again), so don't really know how this can be, are you sure you haven't made a mistake or something?
I'm fairly sure that the last attempt I made looked the same as the one it revealed when it said I lost.
Could it be that it only happens on some combinations of colours? :confused:
That would be difficult to do again... oh yeah, I was on 1-Player if it makes any difference.

kennethdm
June 2nd, 2006, 21:02
nope, I tested it by adding little thing to my source and recompiling it so I can see during gameplay what the random generated combination is.
This way, I could test if what you said is right, but when I eventually put in the right combination at the last attempt, the "you won" screen was displayed... so I can say there should be no problems like you discribed
and no, it's not possible with specific color combinations...

here's the proof (yes, it is 1-player mode):

http://users.pandora.be/BLC/images/screenshot3.png

hope this eases your mind :)

mog
June 3rd, 2006, 03:43
You went to far too much effort, im sorry I must have been mistaken. :o

I did say I wasn't completely sure whether the revealed answer was definitely the same as my final attempt.
Although I still remember taking a couple of looks, and then deciding it's probably just how the rules are and moving on.
I'm sure when you think hard enough you can always get the answer within 5 attempts anyway...

I know it wasn't for my sake, but thanks for your efforts! :)

kennethdm
June 3rd, 2006, 09:29
It wasn't a problem, I just wanted to check it out and make sure there are no bugs or something, the screenshot is only a small effort :)

Well, enjoy this game, going to focus on SDL library now

MaxSMoke
June 4th, 2006, 23:51
I love this idea of setting up a puzzle for another player to solve. Is there any thought about doing a Hangman game for the PSP, where one player can set the hidden word(s) for the other player to solve?

I wonder why nobody's done a Hangman game to date? Seems like a simple enough game with plenty of replay value. Could even toss in some multi-player support with some Wheel-of-Fortune style gameplay.

Word games K-I-C-K A-_-_ ! (Fill in the blanks)

kennethdm
June 5th, 2006, 15:10
doing a hangman game would probably not be so hard, indeed, maybe if I'm bored this holiday I will make one :)