PDA

View Full Version : POLL for my first LUA game

cwirsing
June 2nd, 2006, 20:53
I recently learned how to code in LUA but I am having trouble deciding what game I sould make. If you would rather see me do something else that is not in the poll post it in this thread.

Legend Of Zelda --3 VOTES
It will have a different storyline but will use some of the sprites from the snes version. This will also be moddable and I might put secrets in the game.

War RPG -- 0 VOTES
I am still not sure what to do for this but I will need GFX artists for this once I think of the storyline.

I am open to any reguests

Zion
June 2nd, 2006, 21:09
Zelda, Zelda, Zelda! :p

Looking forward to seeing your game man! :D

cwirsing
June 2nd, 2006, 21:16
Thanks
But i still am learning so it may take me a while.

jman420
June 2nd, 2006, 21:45
i'ma 3d graphics artist, but i dont know if i could help much, working on a lot of projects, and waiting for a few of them to take off lol

cwirsing
June 2nd, 2006, 21:49
I do 3d graphics to but I am not a skilled enough coder to use them in my game.
SRY

In ur sig it says ur a 2-D modeler so u might be able to help otu once I figure out which game to make.

Zion
June 2nd, 2006, 22:06
It doesn't matter how long it takes you man. As long as the games cool! :p

yaustar
June 3rd, 2006, 00:08
If you want me to be brutal, I say Snake, Pong or Breakout would be a far better project to work on while you are learning. Lua is not exactly beginner safe when it comes to large projects such as Zelda or an RPG.

Zion
June 3rd, 2006, 00:44
Good point :p

I just got a bit carried away back there! :D

Cooe14
June 3rd, 2006, 00:56
Now what do you think i'm gonna say ;)

cwirsing
June 3rd, 2006, 00:59
But there are already so many versions of those games. Some of those games could be coded in a day. So far most people are voting for zelda so that is probably what I am going to do.

yaustar
June 4th, 2006, 22:14
How long have you been coding in Lua? Remember you said that you are still learning and if you think that you can code a full RPG right off the bat (in Lua no less) then you might be in for a shock.

Start small, learning the technology in small steps while completing projects. Snake is relatively easy as it doesn't need any real animation, just some basic logic and knowledge of timing while learning the API.

Breakout is a nice step up as it deals with simple collisions and reactions. Optimisations/abstract solutions will also be key here.

Look at what an RPG will need. A scrolling tiling engine, sub-menus, AI, NPC scripting, dialogue boxes, multiple map layouts etc. Lua is NOT optimal to produce a game like this. Remember that it is still a scripting language, not a native programming language.

gunntims0103
June 4th, 2006, 22:21
well i have came up with a concept of a original game i have the dialog in ma thread you should look at it im willing to work with ya i really dont know how to code lua but i have a game story line if that helps

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25908

Lebow
June 5th, 2006, 01:13
I will help on any lua project i know lua and want to get knowned on the hombrew scene and i would relly be intrested in writing a zelda or even make our own games thats like zelda but with alot more weapons and multiplayer msg me to help with your project

cwirsing
June 6th, 2006, 03:27
Lebow I would be glad if you helped out. I have already started coding part of it but I have spent most of my time finding custom graphics and music since that using sprites from the real game are illegal and I have most of the tiles I need. I have found some good music for the game but they will end up taking up alot of space because they are .mid not .wav. I already made a .wav from one of them and it went to 10mb from 4kb. The only thing I have coded so far is the loading screen which took a while because there is more then 200 tiles and I still need to get sprites.

Apoklepz
June 6th, 2006, 18:46
I say Zelda, but I recall downloading a Zelda Lua beta with Link to the past graphics from the PSPupdates file archives. It's nothing really special, yet...you can only walk around and slash away at the air because there're no enemies.

BTW is this your work?

cwirsing
June 6th, 2006, 19:41
No but I did see that.