PDA

View Full Version : bsnes v0.055

wraggster
November 1st, 2009, 20:54
News via http://www.aep-emu.de/PNphpBB2-file-viewtopic-t-13795.html

byuu has released a new version of its SNES emulator bsnes for Windows and Linux.

Quote:
bsnes v0.055 released (2009-10-31)

Happy Halloween, this release adds full Super Game Boy support ... but is it a trick, or a treat? ::cough::, lameness aside ...

The Game Boy emulation core is courtesy of gambatte, and excellent, accuracy-focused, open source, and lightning fast Game Boy Color emulator. Now I know what you´re thinking, using a Game Boy Color emulator with the Super Game Boy? The truth is, gambatte was just such an amazingly perfect fit that nothing else compared. I fully believe that even as a CGB emulator, gambatte will do a better job than any pure DMG emulator could.

The emulation of the ICD2 chip (aka the Super Game Boy) was fully reverse engineered by myself. Eventually I´ll get an updated document put up explaining how it works.

The next question might be, "why emulate the Super Game Boy when existing Game Boy emulators do?"; well, they can only simulate part of the SGB. Features such as custom SNES sound effects, hand-drawn borders, multi-tap support and custom SNES code execution can only be accomplished by a true SNES emulator. Space Invaders is perhaps the most impressive demonstration, as it contains an entire SNES game embedded inside the Game Boy cartridge.

bsnes´ SGB emulation supports virtually every command, full sound mixing from both the SNES and Game Boy sides, both BIOS revisions, etc. The only thing that is not fully functional yet is the multi-player support, but it should be in due time. Save state support is also planned for a later date.

Changelog:

added Super Game Boy emulation (thanks to gambatte for the Game Boy core)

extended hybrid scanline/cycle PPU renderer to support Mode7 register caching; fixes scanline flickering on NHL ´94 title screen

all windows (other than the main window) can be closed with the escape key now

file dialog path selection now accepts typed paths; can be used to access hidden directories and network shares

file dialog´s game information panel can now be disabled

fixed a crashing issue when the file dialog was given an invalid path

fixed screenshot capture save location

added screenshot capture option to tools menu

state manager now auto-closes when loading a state; it can be reopened quickly with F3

fixed GZip archive loading

fixed NTSC off-by-one filter bug on hires screens

extended Scale2x, LQ2x and HQ2x to properly filter hires screens

added Pixellate2x filter

http://www.byuu.org/