PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Buy The Most Music

wraggster
November 2nd, 2009, 19:39
A new study from the UK (via The Independent) has shown what many piracy-advocates have been saying for years. While the average person spends around £34 a year on music, people who self-identify as pirates spend an average of £77. The pirates are also the ones buying music in greater quantities. For years, piracy advocates have claimed that most users only pirate as a way to 'test' new bands and seek out more music to buy.

While no study can prove that fact 100%, this is certainly more evidence in favor of it. More importantly, this news should be a sign to the labels that, by punishing pirates, they're only hurting their biggest customers. I'm no fan of illegal downloading, but it's not something any corporation of government entity is ever going to be able to erase. Pirates will always find a way.

So, will news like this get the labels to stop suing their customers? Probably not. At this stage of the game, the companies that want to adapt already have. What we're left with are a few dinosaurs. They're big, scary, and powerful, but not very long for this world. The climate has changed too much to support them.

http://www.i4u.com/article28052.html

pibs
November 3rd, 2009, 07:12
I don't have a PMP nor a need for one. I rarely download music for the reason that I mostly just stream music. If I am on my PC, I use youtube.com or playlist.com, if on the go I use pandora on my blackberry. If I am on my 360 I use last.fm. I buy music in the form of gameplay from Rock Band. It cost a bit more than a regular mp3 but I just enjoy the interaction and delivery more than hearing a tune on earphones alone.

The only time I will download a track is when there is no way I can find the song anywhere else. I listen to old breakbeats and funk and soul which probably have record labels and artist who don't even exist no more nor receive royalties anymore. I know the moral issues and concerns, I am still technically stealing but some vinyl is REALLY hard to come by :( I still can't justify what I do though.