PDA

View Full Version : New DCEmu Network server

Martin
November 4th, 2009, 00:09
The other day wraggster posted about a new server that was going to replace the old DCEmu server. The plan was to have the new server up and running this past weekend but the server move has taken a bit longer than expected.

However, the move is finally complete and you're seeing DCEmu hosted on a brand new server with the following specs:

AMD Opteron 1356 QuadCore 64 Bit, 4 x 2.3 GHz
8 GB DDR2-RAM
2 x 1000 GB SATA-HDD in RAID
Debian 64 Bit
100 Mbit/s connection

I'm also looking to update vBulletin to the latest version ASAP.

Hopefully this should speed up the delivery of pages when the traffic is high. :)

acn010
November 4th, 2009, 02:02
is that you martin????
and wow nice specs for a server :D

Martin
November 4th, 2009, 02:19
It is me indeed :p

Yeah we needed a beast of a server, DCEmu has a lot of visitors ;)

ojdon
November 4th, 2009, 18:37
Wow nice spec. I'm sure that the server is going to perform much better now. Any reason why you used Debian instead of say CentOS? Just curious. :)

Martin
November 4th, 2009, 19:28
Not any particular reason, CentOS is popular for servers as well. I've used Debian for all the servers the past few years, I like the stability and know the package system pretty well by now. So I guess it's mostly because I'm used to it. :p

wraggster
November 4th, 2009, 19:31
/me walks away hasnt got a clue what centos is :P

brandonheat8
November 4th, 2009, 21:48
I see the speed already, its blazing fast, thanks Martin.

ojdon
November 4th, 2009, 22:22
/me walks away hasnt got a clue what centos is :P

It's a Linux Distribution, commonly used for servers. I must give Debian a try sometime as a Server OS.

Sonny_Jim
November 5th, 2009, 12:49
Centos is a pile of wank, I've no idea why it's so popular. I think it's because it's based on RHEL.

What RAID level are you running? I hope it's RAID1 and not RAID0.

Martin
November 5th, 2009, 13:30
Centos is a pile of wank, I've no idea why it's so popular. I think it's because it's based on RHEL.

What RAID level are you running? I hope it's RAID1 and not RAID0.

Yeah RAID 1 of course :p