PDA

View Full Version : Epsilon BIOS Replacement Firmware for PSP (Rumour Time)

Video_freak
June 4th, 2006, 01:15
i can't wait to REALLY have the best of both worlds, not that 1.5 to 2.00 and 2.00 to 1.5 method....

crowba
June 4th, 2006, 01:15
it is real !

Gene
June 4th, 2006, 01:27
This is so cool. Hopefully its real.

i will sh!t my pants and sell them on ebay if it is:confused: :D

ModMan24
June 4th, 2006, 02:03
agreed I hope its real

pkmaximum
June 4th, 2006, 02:06
DAM I can't wait for this release. 2 firmwares on 1 I'm getting chills :)

pkmaximum
June 4th, 2006, 02:06
I can't wait for this 2 firmwares on 1 PSP sounds great :)!

shadowprophet
June 4th, 2006, 02:09
Somthing like this would happen sooner or later.
But I have my doubts.
I think this is fake.

joshyouwaa
June 4th, 2006, 02:14
If they really had cracked the firmware, we would'nt need a chip. We would install it just like any other firmware. Gotta be fake

joshyouwaa
June 4th, 2006, 02:19
How fake can you get???

Voltron
June 4th, 2006, 02:19
Awesome! Looks like there could potentially be some VERY exciting developments in the very near future for the PSP and homebrew.

The biggest thing I hope for is that 2.00+ games can work WITH all WiFi modes. I play them all via I$O now on my 1.50 but WiFi does not work on a lot of 2.00+ games backed up to I$O.

Soon we may be able to have the best of all worlds PSP. Hombrew, I$O support, New Firmware Features & ALL UMD games.

::Keeping fingers crossed::

CoderX
June 4th, 2006, 02:20
I higly doubt the odds of this being real

I made my own custom fw that added componets to 1.5
Browser/Media coditics

But I found it almost impossabe to add the needed PRX files
to higher fw's

The main resion this is bs is their clam of having 2.71 fetures.
We still havent even decripted the 2.71 fw, nor do we have a dump of 2.7x

Deducting that this must be a fraud

Lodis
June 4th, 2006, 02:23
I hope it is fake because it will help the Psp on it's way to less UMD sales. If we look at the bigger picture as opposed to just our individual Psp's then you will see how this is not good news.

mog
June 4th, 2006, 02:23
you know whats even more interesting about this epsilon bios replacement?
The fact that they plan to release it within 1-2 weeks... remember they said you will need undiluted platinum modchip?

Now, if they are saying that, it also seems to suggest that they know of the modchip release date aswell.
It would be surprising if the modchip was also out in 1-2 weeks though...
I think i'm probably reading too much into this! :p

gunntims0103
June 4th, 2006, 02:39
i hav ma douts but maybe its real

masonman
June 4th, 2006, 02:51
if you can run unsigned code on 2.7x,wouldnt that allow you to play homebrew already?

ngin.small
June 4th, 2006, 02:54
YESSSS OH MY GOD YESSSS THANK YOU i really hope that this is real !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harshboy
June 4th, 2006, 02:55
I really hope this is real. If it is, it will unleash capabilities never before seen. Comeon guys, we knew something like this had to happen eventually:D

aries2k4
June 4th, 2006, 03:09
Lets wait and see.

snkrock25
June 4th, 2006, 04:41
Please forgive me for sounding negative.

Is it me, or is it starting to feel like this is the line of going out of my way to have fun with my device. I mean, if the current games that are offered didnt suck so much, i wouldnt care about homebrew. (never had to do anything like this with my GBA).

I love the idea of the freedom offered in these services with the mod chip and such, but this is just too much for me to commit myself to do to try and squeeze some fun out of my psp.

YourStillWithMe
June 4th, 2006, 05:08
Will this application be a risk to brick our psp?

If so %? This won't be worth it if it is high. . .I have plenty of fun with just homebrew but id love to play Fight Night Round 3 and new releases that i can rent at work for free (work at video store) also my guess is that the modchip will be a bit risky too, true?

faceless
June 4th, 2006, 05:14
well, according to PS2 Scene, this is all the work of Sjeep (of the DMS, HDLoader and Viper GC fame) & co, so it's pretty much 110% real and confirmed now...

wraggster
June 4th, 2006, 09:28
hmm the forums are a tad weird, i blame Martin for moving the server time thing about

rmg060606
June 4th, 2006, 09:36
ok so this could be fake but if its real could i still boot up my backup isos? if i had this firmware or 2.71

webboy
June 4th, 2006, 10:02
im going modchip is real..

but the customfirmware seems to exteme so far, after all apparantly they've craked the 2.71 firmware allready but its only been out like 3 days top

Kramer
June 4th, 2006, 11:13
If this is real wouldnt it work on FW 1.0 without a modchip

Whats going on with these forums its hella confusing

Lodis
June 4th, 2006, 11:37

Browser/Media coditics

to higher fw's

A blogger suggested that they used the Modchip running a 1.5 firmware to load and decrypt the 2.7 firmware from flash0 and flash1 that resided on the standard flash chip taking advantage of the Modchips dual installation.

Previously we could not decrypt 2.7 firmware because we could not directly access it. I would be interested in your comments since this is something I vaguely remember as an explanation on a blog I read earlier. Would their be any difference trying to decrypt the firmware update Eboot via a program as opposed to loading it from an install in the second flash chip?

scottyboynow
June 4th, 2006, 12:27
i have 2.71 and if they made this new bios i would be happy for ever and i would never upgrade seing we arent going to get more features from sony and at least i cand do homebrew (i could not do it when i first got it coz i had a 2.70 wen i 1st got it)

Addictedd
June 4th, 2006, 13:20
if it's real ill be getting it, my UMD drive is broke so homebrew all the way!

SSaxdude
June 4th, 2006, 13:55
If this is true, I might get a modchip with this, even though I still have 1.5.

acn010
June 4th, 2006, 14:43
lol, waiting.........
waiting even more............
ok, waiting -_-'
ok, had enough, can't wait anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
meow?

acn010
June 4th, 2006, 14:48

Browser/Media coditics

to higher fw's

As i always said, everything is possible!
besides its gonna use a modchip in order to work, and lets hope that it will happend for the future, and play my future locoroco game, lol

gotmilk0112
June 4th, 2006, 15:46
yay $ony didnt win the war over the modchip!

€=D

gotmilk0112
June 4th, 2006, 15:48
yay $ony didnt win the war against the modchip!! hooray!!! :D :D :D

gotmilk0112
June 4th, 2006, 15:49
wth? thers like 3x double posting!

snkrock25
June 4th, 2006, 15:54
Is it me, or does it seem like a line is being crossed on how far we should go to squeeze some fun out the psp

snkrock25
June 4th, 2006, 16:03
Is it me, or does it feel like a line is being crossed on how far we should go to try to squeeze fun out the psp. If the UMD Games available were as good as they should be, half of us wouldnt care about upgrading.

Isnt a GPX2 cheaper than a PSP+MEMcard+Modchip? That's a fantastic portable homebrew device.

I might just be rambling in the wrong place, forgive me, but lately, I'm feelin a little fed up with all the hassle the psp is giving, and the effort required for me to have fun with the thing.

I'm not really trying to bash the PSP, but they keep pushing out these new firmwares that have some feature enhancements, but nothing game related, and main agenda is to block the user-made content and force people to adapt to whatever mediocrity there putting out and calling games. Iv'e yet to see a great original handheld game on the system.

I'm sorry, I'm just fed up....

slayer2psp
June 4th, 2006, 18:12
its not fake i cant believe all the doubters. my local mod guy knows the people who did the chip its all real people you will see soon

Accordion
June 4th, 2006, 19:00
is it just me or is there no need for this
if the mod chip comes out with support for two firmwares, one on each flash chip, then we can already have a 1.0/1.5 one chip and a 2.71 etc on the other, immediately giving us both full umd and homebrew support. i also highly doubt that it is real because of the claim to have decrypted the 2.71 update, last time i checked 2.6 hadn't been decrypted
this app claims to run homebrew code on higher firmware, if this was possible why would you need the modchip to do it

TEAL DRAGON128
June 4th, 2006, 19:11
Undiluted Platnium, MPH's ultimate firmware launcher, or Epsilon BIOS.
They all seem to have everything we wanted but which is the best to get?

pokothehobo
June 4th, 2006, 19:32
i beilve the modchip is real, but this custom firmware seems kinda fishy... theve cracked sonys encryption methods????

Addictedd
June 4th, 2006, 22:47
uhm the forum is showing the posts the wrong way around?

Sterist
June 5th, 2006, 00:06
its real ;) trust me

mog
June 5th, 2006, 00:14
Currently the 2.71 firmware release is supported - thats right, this means we have cracked the new encryption methods and developed the operating system hacks necessary to allow unsigned code to run, even in kernel mode.
This (most likely) doesn't mean they cracked AES encryption, got the encryption keys, and can now sign eboots like some people seem to suggest, and have a hard time believing.
They said they developed OS hacks to allow unsigned code to run.
Sounds a bit like the way kxploit screws with the decryption program to load unsigned code, but for 2.71 and supporting both 1.0/1.5 homebrew formats. :)

we have been unable to release it - until now, with the appearance of the Undiluted Platinum modchip. ...
...we hope to have it out within 1-2 weeks.
UP is needed to use Epsilon... Epsilon is hopefully out within 2 weeks? lol :D

Hmm, the posting order is still a little messed up...
It will look okay if people switch to hybrid display mode instead of linear mode for a while. ;)

jordmeister
June 5th, 2006, 00:16
if you can run unsigned code on 2.7x,wouldnt that allow you to play homebrew already?

Maybe they meant that they needed the mod chip to access KERNAL mode.

BALL_SAC
June 5th, 2006, 02:23
... This sounds like a load of crap.. I can just see someone pulling a psdonkey to compete against the undulted plantinum modchip

wraggster
June 5th, 2006, 02:45
With the first PSP Modchip incoming a group who have been working on a Replacement Firmware have now come forward with their "press release", heres the info in full:

Epsilon BIOS Team Statement

Epsilon BIOS is a custom flash "replacement" for the Sony PSP which unleashes the full potential of your handheld, allowing you use homebrew software on the latest firmware releases while also enjoying the impressive features built into the operating system such as RSS feeds, WMA support etc. Currently the 2.71 firmware release is supported - thats right, this means we have cracked the new encryption methods and developed the operating system hacks necessary to allow unsigned code to run, even in kernel mode.

We have been developing Epsilon BIOS for quite some time, but due to the fact that it requires a dual-flash system (one flash is used to bootstrap our code, the other stores the normal PSP firmware) we have been unable to release it - until now, with the appearance of the Undiluted Platinum modchip. Previously we had been using our own custom hardware for development, however about a week ago we received Undiuluted Platinum prototypes and have since modified our code to work with their hardware - its working great, despite a few bugs which we need to iron out before the release. For those who are wondering, yes, you will need an Undiluted Platinum installed in your PSP to take advantage of this.

As mentioned above, using Epsilon BIOS its possible to launch homebrew software from the memory stick, kernel mode access is also available for software which requires this. Both 1.0 and 1.5 style EBOOTs are supported.

We will be releasing a video over the next few days showing Epsilon BIOS in action - keep an eye out for this! As for the actual release, this depends on how soon we can resolve the remaining issues but we hope to have it out within 1-2 weeks.

The PSP Modchip i know is real but at the moment no one is telling publically who is releasing it, as for this replacement firmware then youll have to wait and see if its real.

wraggster
June 5th, 2006, 02:46
i took out any iso mentions as we dont allow the discussion of them here.

V3N0M
June 5th, 2006, 02:49
This is so cool. Hopefully its real.

Zion
June 5th, 2006, 02:51
Fingerers crossed :p

emuking
June 5th, 2006, 03:12
wraggster is the mod chip real in your opinion i think its is but the custom firmware hopefully might be too but i doubt it

everyone must have ds lite !!!!

j/k...kinda

mog
June 5th, 2006, 03:50
Well we will find out within a couple of weeks if this is real, as they say they plan to release it by then.
A video is suposed to be released before hand aswell...
If the Epsilon is shown to be real, then that basically answers if the modchip is real.

Theres no real reason to believe that the modchip isn't real anyway...
Other people have already managed to get two flash modules working on one psp with different firmwares on each.
It was only a matter of time before someone got round to putting it together on a modchip and making money. :p
Besides, there are now a few website planning on selling UP now, and saying they are expecting stock soon. :)

TerryMathews
June 5th, 2006, 04:20
The only other thing I can think of, that would allow homebrew with a modchip, is if the PSP utilized mulitple encryption keys like CSS for DVDs and stored them in a vector. If the group knew where in memory the vector was stored, they could push a blank or otherwise known key onto the vector before the OS starts.

PSPh4ck3rCMD
June 5th, 2006, 04:20
well i personally know for a fact that the modchip is real i know someone that was chosen to test a beta ver. as for the custume fw i dont beleve it cause 2.71 has only been out for a few days and it will take alot longer than that to dump and decript 2.71.

Emeriastone
June 5th, 2006, 04:38
ay

Voltron
June 5th, 2006, 04:56
Damn, what's up with the forum post order? Very annoying!

BALL_SAC
June 5th, 2006, 05:27
If that epsilon bios replacement is real... AWESOME!!!
SCREW THE UNDILUTED PLATNIMUM!!!
Now I dont have to buy no $90 peice of scrap silicone!

Damian666
June 5th, 2006, 05:55
Can't tell, I may say that it's a fake, until I see some evidentual proof of concept that this is truly being taken at hand.

Amorrn
June 5th, 2006, 07:14
If that epsilon bios replacement is real... AWESOME!!!
SCREW THE UNDILUTED PLATNIMUM!!!
Now I dont have to buy no $90 peice of scrap silicone!
Why the hell don't people read things before they post on this forum. WHY? Do they think before they talk in real life? I sure hope so...:p

For those who are wondering, yes, you will need an Undiluted Platinum installed in your PSP to take advantage of this.

MadMonkee
June 5th, 2006, 07:55
Is it not possible to make a hardware attachment, temporarily attached to the PSP's motherboard to flash its existing BIOS? Like, an external bios flasher. It should be cheaper than a modchip, and you could legally sell it as a PSP unbricker.

This firmware sounds like a load of crap to me. Because Sony didn't even release the keyboard mappings so third party developpers could create usb keyboards, how the hell would these people have all the driver basics for the PSPs Wireless, sound, and GPU? It's not easy developping a firmware without the hardware specs, for that reason I think it's bullocks. And the fact that it would be illegal as hell to own.

MadMonkee
June 5th, 2006, 08:01
I was so ****ing sad -_- I had bought my PSP from Wal-Mart, and for some reason the analog would get stuck when you pulled it down it always kept pulling down. I returned it, and the earliest PSP they had was 2.1 -_- ... I returned my 1.50 for a 2.1

At least this one has no dead pixels and the UMD drive doesn't have a gap on its side... since it's new no straches either, but, heeeloooo GTA hack. There goes all my kernel applications.

I looked through 14 boxes, they only had Gs and Hs on the box stickers. and G is 2.1

Hopefully this modchip is real otherwise I am gonna be REAALLY sad.

F9zDark
June 5th, 2006, 13:53
Well it boils down to one thing.

If this is true, then the team responsible must have acquired the Sony SDK illegally. It really is the only way that they could have developed this firmware, if it is true.