PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Future For Mature Games On Wii?

wraggster
November 4th, 2009, 18:55
There are more than 50 million Wii systems worldwide. Logically, the audience for a wide range of games and interactive experiences should be rather big, but based on the evidence so far, either that's not true — or publishers have been hedging the wrong bets. No one has conclusively proved the case for (or against) the viability of mature games on Wii, but 2009 was a litmus test on a number of fronts, including the DS. The results aren't encouraging.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/11/04/0510254/Is-There-a-Future-For-Mature-Games-On-Wii

WhizzBang
November 4th, 2009, 20:40
I think it depends on your definition of mature.

I think the Nintendo Wii leads in mature games already with stuff like Bowling and Tennis on Wii Sports and Pool on Wii Play, 2 of the best selling games disks of all time. Call Of Duty 4 looks very immature next to the likes of Trivial Pursuit which will appeal to mature gamers much more.

I think this article considers violent "bang-bang you're dead" type adolescent fantasy things with women not wearing much and having impossible waists, while the men have ridiculous muscles as 'mature games'.

djdynamite123
November 5th, 2009, 08:17
COD4 will be very immature (lame, terrible gfx, ruin the game) now.
Wait a f'in minute, ya have COD5 released well over a year ago on all platforms except the weak one. COD6 comes out on again all platforms except the weak one. Tells you something really don't it? Now you get COD4 on wii after all this f'in time (fail).
I'll be buying COD6 on PC ftw...

goshogun1
November 5th, 2009, 15:45
I think it depends on your definition of mature.

I think the Nintendo Wii leads in mature games already with stuff like Bowling and Tennis on Wii Sports and Pool on Wii Play, 2 of the best selling games disks of all time. Call Of Duty 4 looks very immature next to the likes of Trivial Pursuit which will appeal to mature gamers much more.

I think this article considers violent "bang-bang you're dead" type adolescent fantasy things with women not wearing much and having impossible waists, while the men have ridiculous muscles as 'mature games'.

Very well said. Its sad that nowadays our definition of mature seems to mean "ridiculous amounts of violence, and swearing". Bald space marines killing hundreds of things equals mature, while anything colorful should be considered kiddie fodder.

djdynamite123
November 5th, 2009, 21:40
What else is there then with no violence? (i mean really worth playing?) :P