PDA

View Full Version : Wolfenstein 3D for DS WIP

wraggster
June 4th, 2006, 18:47
Lazyone has posted this news of his work on porting Wolfenstein 3D to the Nintendo DS:

There has been a lack of updates lately, and those were caused by a lack of interest in the project on my part. It seems that trying to work on something that was built up on cheap hacks started to become less fun so I just stopped altogether.

But now, starting all over again I have done some major changes to the original SDL source port which have made it’s way to the NDS.

What has changed since the last release?

- Most menus and the 3d renderer now run at a native 256×192 resolution falling back to 320×200 for larger images.

- Gamma correction and palette conversions are now done properly, which means colours are much brighter and the game no longer has a washed out look to it.

- Aside from having tons of sprites on screen, it runs at a full 30fps which is not a limitation of the hardware but the rate which the 3d world is refreshed.

- The status bar has been removed from the gameplay window, this means the top screen is used exclusively for the 3d display while in-game. There are plans to re-create the status bar on the bottom screen.

In addition to the change from a poorly coded html website, the change to this format will allow me to attach various pre-pre releases for those wanting to play around with the latest changes. Not right away, but hopefully once I get things cleaned up and commented the source will be included with each release.

Check out screenshots of the old and new versions of Wolfenstein placed side by side.

More Info (http://lazyone.drunkencoders.com/wordpress/index.php)