PDA

View Full Version : Wii's tech specs paraded

wraggster
June 5th, 2006, 16:10
EB Games, the big US online retailer, has opened for business when it comes to ordering Nintendo's Wii, with an initial order listing for the console, which we expect to debut in November or more likely December over here in Europe..

Surprisingly, for a Monday morning, we're not going to turn this into a 'guess the Wii release date' debate, but rather reveal the tech specs that EB Games has published alongside its ad, to give you a clue as to how it might actually perform.

Of course, most of them are already on the record, and comparisons with the PS3 and Xbox 360 are largely redundant given each next-gen console's differing architecture, but it's the first external naming of the specs, so we thought we'd share.

Meanwhile, John Swimmer, ATI's Senior PR Manager has also joined the Wii love-in, in an interview with GameDaily.biz where he promised what we saw of the Wii at E3 was "just the tip of the iceberg".

However, Swimmer then surprised us further by saying, "I really don't think that it's about the [specs]. I think it's about the innovation that it brings to the table. The motion-sensing, the always-on capability, which is really cool too - the fact that the chip is powerful enough and responsive enough to be there at a moment's notice, and I think that's pretty cool for the average gamer."

Wii tech specs on EB

CPU IBM Broadway 729MHz
Internal Storage 512MB Flash Memory
GPU ATI Hollywood
Optical Disc Drive 8cm GameCube/12cm Wii
Supported Resolution: up to 480p
12cm Disc Capacity 4.7GB (single) / 8.5GB (dual)
System Memory Unknown
Memory Expansion 2 SD Memory
Wii Controller Ports Wireless (4 minimum)
Internet Connectivity WiFi 802.11b/g
GameCube Controller Ports 4 Ports
Disc Compatibility GameCube
GameCube Memory Expansion 2 Ports
USB 2.0 2 Ports
Downloadable Content NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Turbo Grafx

Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=140981)

Cap'n 1time
June 5th, 2006, 19:14
good enough. sometimes it isnt how many mhz you have, but how you use it. Also the GPU will probably be stronger then most.

Cooe14
June 5th, 2006, 19:51
good enough. sometimes it isnt how many mhz you have, but how you use it. Also the GPU will probably be stronger then most.
Yes, but I still would a have perfered the rumored 1.0ghz CPU.

crazyjohn
June 5th, 2006, 22:36
Yeah. MHz is the same as old xbox but its a RISC IBM processor so theres really no comparison.

SSaxdude
June 5th, 2006, 23:37
The Wii has alot of ram for such a mediocre CPU. It still looks really cool.

Video_freak
June 6th, 2006, 00:34
yes, they're starting to accept preorders

BlueCrab
June 6th, 2006, 13:46
EB Games has had those tech specs listed for a long time. I wouldn't trust them, myself.

scrabbus
June 6th, 2006, 18:39
me either, seems that nintendo dont agree with those tech specs either

Ragezort
June 6th, 2006, 19:32
Yeah. MHz is the same as old xbox but its a RISC IBM processor so theres really no comparison.

If you view this URL (http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html) can see PowerPC.

PowerPC has more potential of Intel, and all users can read this and more users can thing another idea... But, the last PowerPC gama is x4 more better of Intel P4A.

But I had read this specs did a year. :eek: