PDA

View Full Version : Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony

wraggster
November 7th, 2009, 19:32
A visually impaired gamer has sued Sony because game products allegedly violate the Americans With Disabilities Act. 'According to the suit, Sony ignored repeated requests through postal mail and e-mail to come up with reasonable modifications to its games to make them more accessible.' This suit seems to be a combination of National Federation of the Blind v. Target, which complained of inaccessibility to the visually disabled (which settled for $6 million) and Martin v. PGA Tour, Inc., where the US Supreme Court ruled a disabled golfer was entitled to a golf cart where one was not already allowed as a reasonable accommodation. If the plaintiff wins, Sony will have to make 'reasonable accommodations' which are not an 'undue financial burden.' In my humble opinion, providing access for the disabled is not only the right thing to do but it will generate more profit for Sony.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/11/07/1622230/Visually-Impaired-Gamer-Sues-Sony

jxx2005
November 8th, 2009, 04:06
what kind of modifications could sony make?
high contrast games?
brail screen?
described video?

sony can only do so much before one just has to get a larger screen

lmtlmt
November 9th, 2009, 07:29
this is f*cking ridiculous!! serious wtf!!

kaferenza
November 9th, 2009, 08:22
"Hi, I'm blind and I think I can use it to gain sympathy from people so I think I'll use it to sue a company that deals in a market entirely aimed at being able to see things and interact with the visual stimuli. When I'm done I think I'll sue General Motors for not making cars with braille steering wheels and camera systems that tell me when and where to turn."

I have to say that lmtlmt said it best. Honestly, this had BETTER get thrown out of court. If I were the judge I'd have the duchebag's eardrums punctured for even bringing such a lawsuit.

->->->Just to clarify, I have nothing against visually impaired people what-so-ever...just stupid people that bring frivolous lawsuits because they know that the US court system is a joke and you can sue anyone over anything no matter how little sense it makes.<-<-<-

Darksaviour69
November 9th, 2009, 10:50
'reasonable accommodations' are the key words here. If there is something that they could have done easily and cheaply to help disabled gamers then they have a case, but it up to them to say what Sony could/should have done.